Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Full face mask thoughts?
RE: Full face mask thoughts?
When using my AirFit F20, it puts enough pressure on both sides of my nose to completely close off my nostrils. No chance of inhaling or exhaling. 

Good thing I'm a mouth breather.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
KSMatthew -
EPR is only found on Resmed and Fisher & Paykel (F&P) CPAP machines.   The EPR value represents the reduction (subtraction), in cm H2O, from the CPAP's inhale pressure while the user is in an exhale cycle.  This value can only be a whole number between 1 and 3.   Also, although similar but not an exact counterpart, is the Flex feature found on a Philips CPAP.

A Bi-Level CPAP allows for a pressure difference of up to 8 cm H2O between the inhale and exhale cycles.  This value and be set in .1 cm H2O increments.  A Bi-level unit has settings for EPAP min, IPAP max, and Pressure Support (PS).  Instead of being subtracted like EPR, it is added to the exhale pressure setting to determine the inhale pressure, with that value being within the set maximum IPAP pressure range.  

Using the same end values, a comparison of setting the two models:
CPAP: Pressure range 10 to 15 cm H2O and an EPR: 3  yields an EPAP 7 to 12 and an IPAP of 10 to 15
Bi-Level: EPAP min = 7, IPAP max=15, and a PS of 3.

The easy rule-of-thumb is; EPR subtracts from the inhale pressure and the Bi-level's PS adds to the exhale pressure.

I'm sure I made that as clear as a bucket of grits!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I struggled with a nasal mask for weeks and finally gave up and got the F30i which works really well. It sits below the nose and covers the mouth ( a hybrid so to speak ). Plus the hose comes out of the top which I LOVE.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Full face mask thoughts? Airtouch F20
(10-19-2021, 09:33 PM)KSMatthew Wrote: I’ve only ever used nasal masks, cushions, and pillows since I started CPAP about 15 yrs ago.

I recently lost a lot of weight and since then I’ve had problems with air leaking from my mouth.  Even when my mouth is closed enough pressure builds up to push out.  It’s pretty common to wake up several times each night with a completely dry mouth from leaking that much air.

My pressures are 7-10.

Is there an option other than a full face mask?

What mask would be good for a first timer that’s going to mail order vs brick and mortar DME supplier?
Post Reply Post Reply
It might be trial & error for you, finding the right mask. What works for one individual, may not for another. 

I'm only somewhat familiar with ResMed products. I'm far away from being any kind of an authority.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2021, 09:55 PM)Big Guy Wrote: It might be trial & error for you, finding the right mask. What works for one individual, may not for another. 

I'm only somewhat familiar with ResMed products. I'm far away from being any kind of an authority.

I've used other ResMed masks over the years

I've been using the ResMed N30 for a little while now:

https://document.resmed.com/en-us/docume...er_eng.pdf

It looks like the F30 is very similar, other than it also covers the mouth (and the headgear is different):

https://document.resmed.com/en-us/docume...er_eng.pdf

Yeah, not ever using a full mask will be be something I'd have to get used to.  I'll have to shop around for places that allow a return or exchange within 30 days or so.
Post Reply Post Reply
KS, you might consider the N30i, which has the hose coming from the top of one's head. I like this design on another mask the I use. Eventually I'll get it to repelace my N30 if I continue to use that mask, or keep it in my stable of useful masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2021, 10:07 AM)hegel Wrote: KS, you might consider the N30i, which has the hose coming from the top of one's head. I like this design on another mask the I use. Eventually I'll get it to repelace my N30 if I continue to use that mask, or keep it in my stable of useful masks.

I've seen that one, but I've never done a hose-from-above fitting before.  I figured one change at a time (nasal vs face) and then, maybe, net time I'll go with the (i) version.

But thanks for the suggestion.

I'm generally a side sleeper, but I shift from side to side several times each night, and I have to untangle the hose each time.  The (i) version might help that.
Post Reply Post Reply
"I'm generally a side sleeper, but I shift from side to side several times each night, and I have to untangle the hose each time. The (i) version might help that."

Indeed. And/or, a hose hangar. supplier number 1 has a very inexpensive hangar that works just great. It's really helped me with the whole tangle issue.

One change at a time is a good idea! the hose hangar is good for all masks, however. So it doesn't count!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-19-2021, 09:33 PM)KSMatthew Wrote: I recently lost a lot of weight and since then I’ve had problems with air leaking from my mouth.

I lost a bunch of weight early on in the cpap adventure, and it definitely means you have to start all over with the mask fit. Frustrating, but heck, losing all the weight is a good thing!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 530 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,616 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 703 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 402 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 596 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 169 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.