Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Full face mask thoughts?
RE: Full face mask thoughts?
I can change an FFM mask size when my weight changes.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
HI,
_ this is very personnal, yet for me, airfit f20 is wonderful, since some 2.5 years and forever, maybe, , after trying many others. 
_ excelent combination with the soft collar, tongue on the mouth roof, taught me how to not mout-breathing, and so on;
_ possible drawbacks: it may leak too much under high-high pressures, say, > 13:00 , eventually

all the best and good  luck

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2021, 10:02 PM)cathyf Wrote: I lost a bunch of weight early on in the cpap adventure, and it definitely means you have to start all over with the mask fit. Frustrating, but heck, losing all the weight is a good thing!

Yeah, it's a good problem.

In my case, though, the mask fits just fine.

The problem I have is that I use a nasal mask and doesn't cover my mouth.  Ever since I lost that weight (around 35-40 lb) apparently my neck size or whatever other dynamics came into play have changed enough that air escapes through my mouth.  Even though I sleep with my mouth closed, and even when I'm still awake and trying NOT to let this happen, there is enough back pressure working its way into my mouth and eventually pushing out through my lips. Once that air path opens, it generally stays open if I'm asleep.  If I'm awake I can reset my position or do something that slows that process down.

A mask that covers both my mouth and nose would stop that.

My pressure is really pretty low.  I'm set to 7-10.  Before my weight loss I would see pressures averaging 9.5 or higher.  Now that I've lost that weight, it's usually less than 8.5.  So I don't have a huge amount of pressure forcing its way out, but it still does.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just saw that F&P came out with a new full face mask called the Evora Full.  Not yet available in the states but probably soon.  Looks interesting.
Post Reply Post Reply
I ordered the ResMed F30 the other day. I got a pretty good deal, so I figured it was worth giving it a try to see what it can do for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK - well, this may have not worked out well, yet.

I got the F30 yesterday and wore it last night for the first time.

It seemed like a huge leak generator. I could feel leaks from around my nose, under my mouth (between my mouth and chin), along the edges all around the whole perimeter of the mask. Not all leaks happened at the same time, but if I stopped on leak another would start.

I tried tightening the straps, I tried repositioning the cushions, I tried everything I could think of. My problem with air leaking out of my mouth was gone, but the mask leaked badly. I woke up so many times trying to adjust it that I don't know how much time I actually spent asleep. This morning my AHI was 0.4.

Tonight I'll try starting over - I'll loosen the straps as much as I can, then see what happens from there.
Post Reply Post Reply
KS Matthew. I had the same experience with my full face mask, the F30i. It was totally frustrating. Also, the silicone was bothering me. It felt sticky on my face so, I ordered a mask liner from Padacheek. Surprisingly, it totally stopped all of the leaking. I now wear the mask quite loose, it sort of just sits on my face. If you are sure you have the correct size for your face, you might try this. The liner is ridiculously expensive for a piece of cloth, but it was worth it for the comfort and stopping the leaks. Good luck and hang in there. We all sympathize with the dreaded mask search!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2021, 10:24 PM)Superstar Wrote: KS Matthew.  I had the same experience with my full face mask, the F30i.   It was totally frustrating.  Also, the silicone was bothering me.  It felt sticky on my face so, I ordered a mask liner from Padacheek. Surprisingly, it totally stopped all of the leaking.  I now wear the mask quite loose, it sort of just sits on my face. If you are sure you have  the correct size for your face, you might try this.  The liner is ridiculously expensive for a piece of cloth, but it was worth it for the comfort and stopping the leaks.  Good luck  and hang in there. We all sympathize with the dreaded mask search!

The mask is the right size.

Fitting masks is part art and part science.  Sometimes it doesn't make sense that loosening the straps helps it fit better.  The tendency is to crank down on the straps and mash the mask onto your face, but in many cases it's best to leave it loose so that the edges of the mask can better seal against your face from the internal air pressure pushing the edges down.

I'll loosen it all up in a few minutes when I hit the sack.  Whenever I switch masks, I usually need a few nights to get the mask adjusted and to get used to the fit.  Maybe tonight will be better.

If I can't get this working in a couple weeks, I'll return it and try something different, like maybe the F20.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Here’s what I found:

I adjusted the mask by loosening the straps and getting into a comfortable position. I slowly adjusted each set of straps to minimize leaks while continuing to pull the mask away and letting it reseal. I got it leak free in a few minutes. But…

If I tip my head up, the mask leaks at the bottom. If I tip my head down, it leaks at the top. Since I tend to change sleeping positions a lot during the night, every time I move I have to reposition my head into the same relative orientation when I had adjusted the straps.

Another problem is simply anatomy. I have a naturally narrow face. After losing almost 40lb, it’s more narrow now than it has been for years. That means any mask has to wrap around the sides of my face a little bit. This mask doesn’t seem to do that very well. Any slight turn of my head side to side will cause a leak on the side opposite the direction I turn. If I tighten the straps it just pulls the mask tighter against my face, there isn’t a way to pull it tighter around the sides.

I’m going to give it a week before I think consider exchanging it for something else.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 514 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,584 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 696 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 396 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 594 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 168 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.