Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Full face mask thoughts?
RE: Full face mask thoughts?
Bless you. You must be worn out. I hope you find something that works better.
Post Reply Post Reply
I read through your thread and didn't see any mention of your pillow.   Your pillow will play a very large role in the failure or success of any mask.  I use an F&P Vitera FFM and sleep on my side.   I bounce between 3 different pillows, a firm memory foam, a CPAP "dog-bone" style, and a buckwheat.  The memory foam pillow is the only one that needs additional consideration and requires me to hold the mask as I position to one side or another as I settle in.  The pillow then will hold my mask in place.    

CPAP therapy is a concert of your CPAP system, sleeping environment, and bedding.  If these aren't in harmony, it ain't going to work.  - my thoughts.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2021, 10:12 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: I read through your thread and didn't see any mention of your pillow.   Your pillow will play a very large role in the failure or success of any mask.  I use an F&P Vitera FFM and sleep on my side.   I bounce between 3 different pillows, a firm memory foam, a CPAP "dog-bone" style, and a buckwheat.  The memory foam pillow is the only one that needs additional consideration and requires me to hold the mask as I position to one side or another as I settle in.  The pillow then will hold my mask in place.    

CPAP therapy is a concert of your CPAP system, sleeping environment, and bedding.  If these aren't in harmony, it ain't going to work.  - my thoughts.
I have a memory foam pillow.  I’m normally a side sleeper and when I bury my face on one side or the other, it helps keep the mask in place and does help with some leaks.

This is the first mask I’ve had this much trouble with.  It’s also the first FF and by far the most bulky.

I’m not new to this, I’ve been on the blower for at least 15 years, and have used maybe 6-8 different makes and models over the years.

Next week I’ll check with the DME where I bought it, see what they suggest and then start the exchange process.
Post Reply Post Reply
Take a look at my go-to, the Fisher and Paykel Vitera. I like this one above all my other full face masks. My F&P Simplus is similar, but I think the Vitera being newer is more refined and comfortable.

Negatives will be for some:

It's particular in placement and can leak at the top corners on top of your nose, but it's negated by strapping it on and pulling straight upward and then resetting it a bit lower than other full face masks. Second negative is a healthy breezy vent. Forehead bar might be off-putting.

Positives:

RollFit cushion has a built-in bellows design, there's a bit of flex and give without blowing the seal. The forehead bar can be distracting, but it promotes stability and leverages the strap tension better than masks without like a ResMed F20, F30i that I also have, IMO. Light tension is enough to be nearly leak free consistently.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2021, 12:12 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Take a look at my go-to, the Fisher and Paykel Vitera. I like this one above all my other full face masks. My F&P Simplus is similar, but I think the Vitera being newer is more refined and comfortable.

Negatives will be for some:

It's particular in placement and can leak at the top corners on top of your nose, but it's negated by strapping it on and pulling straight upward and then resetting it a bit lower than other full face masks. Second negative is a healthy breezy vent. Forehead bar might be off-putting.

Positives:

RollFit cushion has a built-in bellows design, there's a bit of flex and give without blowing the seal. The forehead bar can be distracting, but it promotes stability and leverages the strap tension better than masks without like a ResMed F20, F30i that I also have, IMO. Light tension is enough to be nearly leak free consistently.

Thanks, will check it out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2021, 07:00 AM)MoreBeers Wrote: >>It may be because I am running at high pressure (CPAP 20 cm H2O), but I found I could not get on at all with the ResMed F30 under-nose FFM.
I found the ResMed F20 AirFit was the best for me, the AirFit is the all silicone Cushion, rather than the F20 AirTouch which is the version with Memory Foam, which I find does not seal as well if using higher pressures.<<

My dad's machine runs 7 to 20 and we're doing much better with the F30 than the F20, although we're still looking for something that will work better than the F30. We've found that the key to making the F30 involves getting just the right downward angle around the nose. Our combination is 1. lift the mask to inflate. 2. Rotate the front of the mask downward -- as if there were two hinges on the side of the nostrils. 3. Push the mask up toward the nostrils as needed. Having the downward rotation after inflation is the only way we can get it to seal around my dad's narrow nose. We're having problems with leaks around his chin, though. It's just that those leaks are more manageable than the leaks we have with the F20, which is way to wide at the chin when we use the large, which my dad needs for length.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’ve gone back to my nasal cushions the last few nights.

I’ll get back to messing with my F30 again either tonight or tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply
You really have to try out the mask to really know if it works for you. I tried the Simplus and it leaks too much at the top for me. F20 worked better for me, but I don't use full-face because FFM do not provide good therapy. Leaks are one thing, but also I get greater FL (significantly higher than nasal even with a collar) and get higher AHI. Maybe this is a pressure issue (EPR is always 3), and for FFM, I would need higher pressure than nasal?

I've been lucky with a DME that would let me try out another mask if a mask didn't work for me. I didn't know this until I asked. They would let me do this every mask cycle when I can change to a different mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-08-2021, 04:47 PM)CorruptAlligator Wrote: You really have to try out the mask to really know if it works for you.  I tried the Simplus and it leaks too much at the top for me.  F20 worked better for me, but I don't use full-face because FFM do not provide good therapy.  Leaks are one thing, but also I get greater FL (significantly higher than nasal even with a collar) and get higher AHI.  Maybe this is a pressure issue (EPR is always 3), and for FFM, I would need higher pressure than nasal?

I've been lucky with a DME that would let me try out another mask if a mask didn't work for me.  I didn't know this until I asked.  They would let me do this every mask cycle when I can change to a different mask.

I've already been given credit with my supplier (-10% for restocking, but they didn't ask for the mask back).

I *might* try the same mask, but a size up on the cushion and see what happens.

When I use the ResMed sizing template, I am right at the edge of S to M, but on the S side of the line.

The ResMed online sizing directions say to use the S size in that case.  That's what I've been using with the P10 and it works just fine.  

The sizing instructions for the F30 are the same, "If the width of your nose breaches the template margins, size up to a medium."  I'm right at the margins.  So maybe the next size up will work.  I didn't get a chance to talk with my supplier today, but maybe tomorrow I'll get in touch and see if it makes more sense to try the next cushion size up or to move to a different mask completely.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah the magnets are annoying. I really need to wear a cervical collar to keep myself from having positional apnea, but the collar knock the magnets off.

My very first mask was the F10 train wreck. That was where I cut apart the headgear in the back to take out about 2 inches. And the top of the mask ate a hole in the bridge of my nose. And the bottom pushed against my bottom teeth and was caving them in. But the one thing that they got right was the plastic hooks where you set the straps to a length and then looped them over the hooks. They stayed put, and didn't reprogram your pacemaker to kill you...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,581 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 696 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 395 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 594 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 168 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.