Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Full face mask vs nasal pillows - advice needed
RE: Full face mask vs nasal pillows - advice needed
(06-15-2012, 08:11 AM)johns019 Wrote: I also see that Respironics (apparantly the company my sleep study facility deals with) sells the comfortlite 2 nasal pillow mask.
Going to be researching that compared to the Resmed Swift FX.

See if you can get a chinstrap, too. You'll need it if, like me, you keep waking up with air hissing out of your mouth.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2012, 06:18 PM)johns019 Wrote:
(06-14-2012, 05:58 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(06-14-2012, 05:51 PM)johns019 Wrote: I talked to the resp. therapist today - she said that they are planning to set me up with a BiPap Respironics System One.
I'll be researching that this weekend Smile

Make sure you get the BiPAP Pro. The BiPAP Plus is a brick, meaning it won't record the data you need to evaluate the effectiveness of your therapy.

I only see BiPAP S/T and BiPAP autoSV Advanced.
Maybe I need to look into their site more.

The System One is a good unit. My company gives all of the patients Auto units, you may want to call DMEs first to find out what model they give and choose whoever gives the auto. It can be great for you later on.

As far as the mask, from a DME and insurance standpoint, if you are unsure choose the full face mask first. Although when you go to the lab, take total advantage of it. If they put a mask on you that you are not enjoying, kindly ask them to use another. Also, ask your future DME if they honor the 30 day mask satisfaction guarantee the manufacturers give. If they do and you do not like the full face mask, you can use the guarantee to swap to a nasal mask or nasal pillow. If they do not, find a DME who does honor this so you are not stuck with the first mask you choose.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2012, 11:31 AM)RespTherapist Wrote: The System One is a good unit. My company gives all of the patients Auto units, you may want to call DMEs first to find out what model they give and choose whoever gives the auto. It can be great for you later on.

The BiPAP auto?!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
In answer to Sleepster's question. No I did not have to use a chin strap. I did however, use the the Respironics Optilife nasal pillow mask which has a strap the goes under the chin to stabilize the mask. It's not really a chin strap, but it may have had some sub-conscious effect on me. I now use the Swift FX with no such strap, and still no mouth breathing.

As far as the nasal gel is concerned, there are two that I use interchangeably. The first is called "Secaris lubricating nasal gel" It is a mixture of polyethylene glycol 15% and propylene glycol 20% in a PH gel adjusted to 5.5. My ENT doctor said that I could use it indefinatley without any harmful effects. The other is called "Rhinarus" which is the same formula as above, but also has sodium benzoate which is a preservative.

These products are available in Canada, but I'm not sure about the US. They are pretty simple formulas without anything weird in them so I don't see what they wouldn't have it.

My wife is a nurse, and she says that this is the product they use for those patients on oxygen therapy.

It works for me. I use it morning and night. It should be noted that I am also a long time user of corticosteroid nasal sprays which may have damaged the mucous lining in my nose.

FYI
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 167 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 255 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 853 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,758 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,784 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,517 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.