Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Full face mask vs nasal pillows - advice needed
RE: Full face mask vs nasal pillows - advice needed
(06-14-2012, 05:23 AM)johns019 Wrote: So it doesn't have to be a bi level machine to ease the exhale?

Bi-level machines can ease the exhale to just about any level you want to set. EPR on a CPAP or APAP can only ease it by 1, 2, or 3. I think those numbers are in centimeters of water, but I've never seen that stated officially anywhere.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2012, 07:30 AM)EyesWideOpen Wrote: Then I tried a nasal pillow, even though I knew that I was a mouth breather. As it turns out, once I started getting enough air through my nose, and the snoring was taken care of, I stopped opening my mouth.

Did you, or do you, have to wear a chin strap?

Quote:I still get a little congestion and I use a nasal gel on the end of a cotton swab and run that around inside my nose before bed, to cut down on the dryness caused by the rushing air.

What do you use as a nasal gel? I use HPA Lanolin.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I talked to the resp. therapist today - she said that they are planning to set me up with a BiPap Respironics System One.
I'll be researching that this weekend Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2012, 05:51 PM)johns019 Wrote: I talked to the resp. therapist today - she said that they are planning to set me up with a BiPap Respironics System One.

Make sure you get the BiPAP Pro. The BiPAP Plus is a brick, meaning it won't record the data you need to evaluate the effectiveness of your therapy.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2012, 05:58 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(06-14-2012, 05:51 PM)johns019 Wrote: I talked to the resp. therapist today - she said that they are planning to set me up with a BiPap Respironics System One.

Make sure you get the BiPAP Pro. The BiPAP Plus is a brick, meaning it won't record the data you need to evaluate the effectiveness of your therapy.

I only see BiPAP S/T and BiPAP autoSV Advanced.
Maybe I need to look into their site more.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2012, 06:18 PM)johns019 Wrote: I only see BiPAP S/T and BiPAP autoSV Advanced.

For some reason, they do make it hard to compare the vast array of different machines they make. I guess they want to appear mysterious.

Look at the Philips Respironics System One line.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2012, 06:18 PM)johns019 Wrote: I only see BiPAP S/T and BiPAP autoSV Advanced.

There is a PRS1 BiPAP PRO, BiPAP Auto, BiPAP S/T, and a BiPAP autoSV Advanced.

I don't see anything about a BiPAP PLUS in the System One line, but there might be one. There was an M series, but perhaps they didn't continue PLUS in the PRS1 bilevel line.

There is a BiPAP AVAPS that looks like the System One machines, but they may not use the System One name for AVAPS.

I presume the BiPAP PRO collects good data, and the Plus, if it exists, doesn't.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Doesn't look there is BIPAP Plus - just BiPAP Pro and BiPAP Auto
http://bipaps.respironics.com/

BiPAP S/T
http://bipapst.respironics.com/

BiPAP autoSV Advanced — System One
http://www.healthcare.philips.com/main/h...efault.wpd
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2012, 08:58 PM)archangle Wrote: I presume the BiPAP PRO collects good data, and the Plus, if it exists, doesn't.

I guess the Plus doesn't exist. My mistake.

I have the Pro and it does collect good data.

The Auto is only a little bit more expensive. Sometimes I wish I would've gotten that one instead.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again for all the help - this has become my most visited website Wink
I'll ask if I can get the Auto, but I imagine the insurance company gets the final say.
I also see that Respironics (apparantly the company my sleep study facility deals with) sells the comfortlite 2 nasal pillow mask.
Going to be researching that compared to the Resmed Swift FX.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 12 189 Yesterday, 05:19 PM
Last Post: jake79
  [CPAP] Congested/painful itch reaction/face hotness upon use of CPAP Yeliad 6 162 04-15-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 9 992 04-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 173 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 153 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 24 11,101 04-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: cant exhale
  Chart help needed SteveC 4 177 04-07-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: SteveC

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.