Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Full face masks and nasal congestion
Full face masks and nasal congestion
Hi Folks.

Been on CPAP treatment for 7 years now and was wearing a nasal mask (Resmed Mirage FX) until it broke last year. I'm a side sleeper and had some problems with leaks and near constant nasal congestion/sinusitis from wearing it.

A year back I switched to nasal pillows (Resmed Swift FX) and the leaks aren't a major issue anymore but the nasal congestion/sinusitis is worse - it's like I have allergies or a heavy cold everyday and is driving me crazy!

Now it's time to consider a Resmed full-face mask (or any others compatable with my Resmed S8 machine).

Would appreciate any advice you can give about suitability and best models out there. Are they prone to leaks? Are they better or worse for nasal/sinus problems?

Cheers, Dave

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Full face masks and nasal congestion
(10-28-2013, 01:49 AM)mfc1964 Wrote: Now it's time to consider a Resmed full-face mask (or any others compatable with my Resmed S8 machine).
Welcome to the forum ... Dave
ResMed full masks: Mirage Quattro, Mirage Liberty, Quatro FX, Quattro Air
Mask setting: Mir Full

Your profile shows that you don,t use humidifier, I recommend to get one because in my experience adding moisture and breathing warm air helps reducing congestion symptoms but for others might the opposite is true

Few things things may help, chinstrap with nasal mask, covering the hose and saline/sinus rinse

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mfc1964,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What zonk said.
You might try to add some humidity and see if that will help you.
Best of luck to.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
LOL - Last night I tried some 'nasal pillows' for the first time in like 7-8 years. Woke up this AM with a burning sensation in my nose, fully congested, sneezing - the works! I've always used a heated humidifier, but it looks like I need to set it to a higher level with the nasal pillows, as I used almost no water last night. FYI-I get these same symptoms if I run out of water at night.

So I too think that adding heated humidification might be the ticket for you~! I'd sooner go without my machine than not use the humidifier, and I am 100% compliant!

I was bouncing around the vendor list, and one vendor (forget who) was selling the correct humidifier setup super-cheap~! Cheaper than a FFM, actually. I really would try that first. The unit plugs in directly into your machine, your hose plugs into the unit, you add water to a set level, and turn the dial to set how dry or wet you want it. Personally, I like mine as wet as possible without getting 'rainout' (water condenses in your mask and hose, trying to drown you)
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-28-2013, 03:00 AM)zonk Wrote: Your profile shows that you don,t use humidifier, I recommend to get one because in my experience adding moisture and breathing warm air helps reducing congestion symptoms but for others might the opposite is true

Few things things may help, chinstrap with nasal mask, covering the hose and saline/sinus rinse

Hi Zonk, thanks for your quick reply and suggestions.

Way back when I started CPAP I was using a humidifier for a few months but stopped 'cos I could never keep the thing clean and I had congestion symptoms no matter what settings I tried. Going without it seemed to make no difference and the symptoms didn't get noticeably worse.

The big change has been since switching to the nasal pillows. I'm ready to throw them in the bin.

A full face mask is the only option I haven't tried yet. It's obviously bulkier but I'm willing to look like a fighter pilot if it clears up my congestion and gives me a better sleep. If the symptoms persist I think the humidifier will have to make a comeback.

Will check out your suggestion of a sinus rinse - a few posters in other threads have recommended it as well so it must be doing the job.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-28-2013, 08:32 AM)Peter_C Wrote: LOL - Last night I tried some 'nasal pillows' for the first time in like 7-8 years. Woke up this AM with a burning sensation in my nose, fully congested, sneezing - the works!

Hi Peter

Unfortunately, it sounds like we use the same brand of nasal pillows! Thanks for your suggestion of the humidifier. I've not given up on that option - it's my next step if the full face mask alone doesn't get the job done.

Cheers also for the advice about searching the vendor list on this site, I hadn't considered that. Looks like there are savings to be had compared to local CPAP retailers in my area Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi
Been on a full face mask for over 7 years now and even through some cold seasons it worked fine. Have had to wash it more often than I usually do when I have a cold but other than that I would not like to give up my mask. I hope you find an answer.
Lee
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-29-2013, 09:29 AM)Sevensox Wrote: Been on a full face mask for over 7 years now and even through some cold seasons it worked fine.

Hi, Lee. Thanks for taking the time to reply. What's the Ultra Mirage like as far as leaks go?
Post Reply Post Reply
humidity is great to have, also check out the Hans Rudolph V2 mask, its what i use and i love it
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave, masks are an amazingly frustrating thing for a lot of people. There are a lot of choices out there and what works for one person may not work for the next guy. You may need to try a bunch out before you find one that works for you.

In regards to your first post, I can relate. I started off with pillows and then tried a nasal mask...both worked and I adapted fairly well. Overall, I generally did alright with them except the tip of my nose tended to get cold with the nasal mask and they didn't work well for me when I had congestion (which, with a 3 year old in the house, has become more common....kids are Petrie dishes Wink ). In the fall, I managed to find a full face mask that worked well for me...it was basically the "upsized" version of the nasal mask I had been using. It has since become my "go to" mask and I prefer it over the nasal mask and pillows I used before (personal preference and it seems to be far from the norm here).

Some of the newer masks, which I personally found a bit more comfortable when trying them, include the Resmed Quattro Air and the F&P Simplus....the reviews I've read generally indicate a love it or hate it split: love them for the comfort and that they works well for the reviewer, or hate it because the comfortable soft seal has chronic leak problems if it doesn't fit your face or the pressure was too high. For me, the Quattro Air was a "love it" but I'm not sure I'm done trying out masks. The Simplus would have been a love it (it was very comfortable for me), but I had issues with the seal and the shape of my face not agreeing Sad
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nasal congestion relief sleepingbetterinFl 2 162 03-23-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 530 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 326 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,616 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 352 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 703 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 402 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.