Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Full face weirdness
Full face weirdness
I struggle with rem sleep mouth breathing. When I really relax I struggle to mouth breathe and end up waking up gasping. Chin straps aren't effective for me. So I started using a full face mask but my sleep numbers are tanking. Tons of snoring, ahi increased from .4 to 5, lots of oa's when I normally have none. I know there is some leaking but not too significant. Curious ... Is there any data that suggests that one should increase pressure with a full face mask? Seems like pressure should equalize with a good seal, but I'm out of ideas. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Full face weirdness
Don't know about the REMstar, but the Resmed S9 has a setting for the mask type in the clinician's menu. Maybe you could check that if you haven't already.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-19-2014, 01:59 AM)chd3143 Wrote: ... Is there any data that suggests that one should increase pressure with a full face mask?

Each different CPAP mask has an intentional leak amount in order to ensure that your exhaled breath is diluted and purged and does not contaminate the next inhaled breath. This could be likened to hosing down the immediate area to clean it up. The larger the area, the more hosing down is needed. A nasal mask will have less physical interior volume so it takes less excess air flow to clean it of you exhaled breath. The full face mask has a much higher interior volume so it must be supplied with a greater volume of excess air to clean it.

With the above in mind, you can understand that if you do not change your system setting when switching from a nasal mask to a full faced mask, you will not be getting enough pressure to equal your previous therapy amount. That explains why your AHI figure increased.

Post Reply Post Reply
Surfer, which setting? Pressure? Thanks! That makes a lot more sense.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-19-2014, 01:59 AM)chd3143 Wrote: Curious ... Is there any data that suggests that one should increase pressure with a full face mask?

Some of the experts say that since a FFM presses on the lower jaw, it can cause the jaw to slide back, which makes apnea worse. It probably doesn't affect everyone the same way.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh I did check my clinician settings, and it doesn't look like I can indicate which type of mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would try increasing the pressure from 11.5 to 12 and see if that takes care of the ahi. You may need to go a little beyond that since it sounds as if you're right on the "cusp" of where you need to be at 11.5. But 12 for a few days, then re-evaluate.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-19-2014, 09:44 AM)chd3143 Wrote: Oh I did check my clinician settings, and it doesn't look like I can indicate which type of mask.

Double check that.. and mask type is sometimes available in the user accessible settings. Mask type incompatibility may even effect apnea scoring.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I too found that I needed a higher pressure with a full face mask. I was using the Simplus. The culprit in my case was the bottom strap that sits just below the ear. I would get runs of hypopneas and obstructives depending on how tight the bottom strap was. I would raise my pressure, the mask would have to be tighter and still I would see numerous events. I FINALLY LISTENED TO RETIRED GUY, ( don't tell him
he was right) switched back to my Swift fx and my ahi is much, much better. I thought I was a confirmed mouth breather, but with the correct pressure and Retired Guys tongue to the roof of the mouth trick, my jaw stays put with a little help from my chin strap.Dancing

p.s. thank-you Retired Guy, Galactus, Zonk, Paula and everyone for helping me figure this out. I'm trialing the P10 now and loving it ( SORRY, PAULA) I can't believe it is staying on my head!
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-19-2014, 12:33 PM)readyforsleep Wrote: I FINALLY LISTENED TO RETIRED GUY, ( don't tell him
he was right) switched back to my Swift fx and my ahi is much, much better. I thought I was a confirmed mouth breather, but with the correct pressure and Retired Guys tongue to the roof of the mouth trick

Hey what was the trick?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 12 155 Yesterday, 05:19 PM
Last Post: jake79
  [CPAP] Congested/painful itch reaction/face hotness upon use of CPAP Yeliad 6 162 04-15-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 134 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 323 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 661 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 17,039 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 757 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.