Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Fumes from humidifier
Fumes from humidifier
Well I have read about this on other a posts and had it happen to me when I had the humidifier tub go dry. The fumes from my machine traveling in the airstream can be horrendous.

This time I got noxious fumes with a humidifier water chamber that was at least half full of water and it is a chamber that has never been allowed to run dry. It was enough to make my nose hurt. The humidifier control is also on a fairly low setting. It is below the halfway point.

I removed the humidifier and went the rest of the night without it with no fume problem and no worse than normal dry mouth. I do have a new replacement for the water container.

This has happened with my ResMed S8 VPAP. Has anyone had the same type of fume problem with the S9 series? Has anyone had this fume situation with any other manufacturers?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Fumes from humidifier
Hi PaytonA,
The only time I notice fumes in my humidifier is if I let it run dry, so I try like anything not to do that because the smell gets very strong.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I have not noticed any fumes. Keep everything squeaky clean and change the filter regularly every month
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2014, 10:40 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi PaytonA,
The only time I notice fumes in my humidifier is if I let it run dry, so I try like anything not to do that because the smell gets very strong.

I know exactly what you mean. The fumes I am talking about are the same as the ones you get when the humidifier runs dry, only they occurred this last time when the humidifier was not even close to running dry.

Zonk,
This and the fact that I do change the filter frequently and keep things clean makes me feel like there is something else going on here. With the same filter in place, when I removed the humidifier from the VPAP the fumes were no longer evident.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
There is an active thread on the board right now about tap vs. distilled water. This discussion kicks off about every six months and much wrong information is posted (yah, what makes me think I'm right).

If the smell is anything like ammonia, it is organic material in your water (algea, mold, bacteria, fungi). This is most likely if you "top off" your water chamber and do not empty it and refill it every night or if it runs dry during the night. Basic, whatever crap is in whatever water you use, and is blown into this water by the xPAP machine, will just keep building up if you don't flush and clean the unit.

If it smells more like feet, and you see a red or pink discoloration anywhere in the tub, it is definitely bacteria.

Hope this helps.Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2014, 01:12 PM)jdireton Wrote: There is an active thread on the board right now about tap vs. distilled water. This discussion kicks off about every six months and much wrong information is posted (yah, what makes me think I'm right).

If the smell is anything like ammonia, it is organic material in your water (algea, mold, bacteria, fungi). This is most likely if you "top off" your water chamber and do not empty it and refill it every night or if it runs dry during the night. Basic, whatever crap is in whatever water you use, and is blown into this water by the xPAP machine, will just keep building up if you don't flush and clean the unit.

If it smells more like feet, and you see a red or pink discoloration anywhere in the tub, it is definitely bacteria.

Hope this helps.Sleep-well

It is definitely not organic animal or plant matter breaking down. I can identify those smells. It does not really have much odor, just makes the inside of my nose sting.

The type of water used thread and the fact that you say that it comes back around about every 6 months makes me wonder if our profiles should contain the type of water used in the humidifier as well (heh, heh). Dielaughing

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2014, 03:22 PM)PaytonA Wrote: ...makes me wonder if our profiles should contain the type of water used in the humidifier as well (heh, heh). Dielaughing

Good point, just updated mine Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
Hay Payton. What are you using to sanitize your equipment ? I've found that I have the same problem with fumes when I switched to control 3 sanitizer , Never have it with vinegar water . Just a thought ?

Might also be a good idea to add to profile what sanitizer used ?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2014, 04:56 PM)JWR Wrote: Hay Payton. What are you using to sanitize your equipment ? I've found that I have the same problem with fumes when I switched to control 3 sanitizer , Never have it with vinegar water . Just a thought ?

Thanks for the thought. If you want to know the honest to gosh truth, I do not sanitize the equipment. I do wash what I can with Dawn dish soap but that is it.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The smell that I notice when my humidifier tank runs dry is, a kind of a sweet and slightly burnt plasticy smell, if that makes any sense. It doesn't smell like any soap or cleaner.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 354 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,161 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 320 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 787 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Document request: ResMed humidifier settings rpierce 2 516 10-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rpierce

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.