Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Funky flow curve with taped mouth
Funky flow curve with taped mouth
Howdy!

I'm new to the forum, and only been on CPAP for three months. I'm using a Resmed N30i cradle and tape my mouth with 2in cover-roll stretch tape, as per LankyLefty.

Subjectively my sleep feels pretty good now, but looking at my OSCAR data it seems like there is still room for improvement. Sometimes my arousals are preceded by a noticeable change in the flow rate curve. Do you have any idea of what could be causing this? Based on the wiki (Optimizing_therapy) it looks to me like the curve associated with mouth expiration... but I can't see how that could happen while my mouth is taped. When I go to bed and when I wake up I try puffing my cheeks to see whether the mouth is properly sealed, and have not had a problem with it -- I shave every night before going to bed, so the tape sticks very well.

Here's the funky-looking flow rate curve (taped mouth). First, going from normal breathing to funky breathing.

This is the same event, showing how the funky breathing turns into a hypopnea and arousal a minute later.

Overview of the night (I had a cold):

Many thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Funky flow curve with taped mouth
EPR is currently off. May I suggest EPR of 3, full time, to help treat hypopnea and flow limits.
Post Reply Post Reply
This https://sites.google.com/view/palatal-prolapse may be helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, Multicast. Haven't read everything yet, but it makes sense.

It sounds like it would be a good idea to talk to an ENT and perhaps invest in an oximeter to find out how serious it is in my case.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2022, 10:40 PM)clownbell Wrote: EPR is currently off. May I suggest EPR of 3, full time, to help treat hypopnea and flow limits.

I can give that a try. Can you elaborate on how that would help?

If the underlying issue is palatal prolapse, a lower EPAP would increase the flow rate during expiration. Wouldn't a faster flow increase the probability of prolapse?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 5 56 12 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 238 46 minutes ago
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 32 8 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 372 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 307 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 110 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,608 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.