Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Future BiPAP user.. Which machine to ask for?
RE: Future BiPAP user.. Which machine to ask for?
Over a month on BIPAP ST, most of the night AHI is below 5 for about 5-6 hours, but goes into the twenties for the last hour or two, resulting in a nightly AHI average of 10. 
So essentially, I’m getting 5-6 hours of decent sleep a night. Not good.

My DME sleep tech recommended a doctor who has a history of prescribing ASV machines.

I saw the doc a couple weeks ago and when he reviewed my BIPAP ST  SD card data, he agreed that I wasn't doing well on BIPAP ST, and sent me to have a sleep study on ASV.

During the sleep study, it seemed I was having difficulty.

I was used to falling asleep with the BIPAP assisting my breathing.
Now, I was  breathing on CPAP, so it was harder exhaling.

Just as I was drifting off to sleep and my breathing slowed, the ASV gave me a two strong shots of air and jolted me awake.

I finally fell asleep, but didn't think it was restful, waking with a sore back from the firm bed, and not feeling rested.

So when I met the doctor for my sleep study results today, I was expecting news that ASV didn't work out.

To my surprise, he said my AHI results were good, down to .9!

So NOW I FINALLY have a prescription for a ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV !!!!!!

I should have the machine in a couple weeks after Medicare / Aetna approval.

THANK YOU for guiding me down the path, and all the support.

I’ll keep you updated when I get the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats. Best to you on ASV. I'm scheduled to take sleep study at month's end for ASV. I'm going to request ResMed Aircurve 10 ASV at that time.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can't the ASV be set to deliver the same IPAP and EPAP pressures you were getting with your BiPAP?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's what I'd think. They may need to be edited later but still...IMO it's just his way to bill insurance for new sleep study. I'm only going along to get the ASV machine ASAP.

BTW this is the doc that setup BiPAP on settings that I had worst AHI as being a "good setting". Later others in his office question same setting choices.  Oh-jeez

I'm just staying with this pulmonary group because this is where I'm closest to getting an ASV. (Did have 2nd opinion but they changed suggestion on ASV because I can't use BiPAP enough to prove need on ASV to insurance according to them)

I certainly cannot rank this current doctor as good for listening to my info, comments, complaints, symptoms, etc. As soon as I can, maybe as soon as I get the ASV, I'm transferring to another pulmonary care group.

PS any near Hagerstown, MD I've already found a bad pulmonary group, and a good group nearby. Incredible differences between these. And I'm speaking via experience not from others talking about it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
GOT MY ASV MACHINE  like   Thanks

The ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV finally arrived two days ago.

With over 10 weeks on the BIPAP ST, my best AHI was 6, with the total average over 10.

My first night on ASV, AHI was 2.2, and last night I went 6-1/2 hours with ZERO AHI,  average 1.6 for the night!

It's the best night's sleep in YEARS.

I didn't know how bad I was feeling until today.

THANK YOU SLEEPRIDER for setting me on the path, and for all the others who encouraged me along the way.

I will update this thread after I get a few days under my belt, but so far it's a godsend!
Post Reply Post Reply
Dude, that's fantastic, and you eeked out a win over SarcasticDave for the first ASV. Glad it's working out and hope that continues. Now tell me how your doctor figured out how to say "I knew it all along", even when he fought you every step of the way.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like a win here Herb. Congrats on better sleep.
My ASV path is between DME sending info to insurance and the insurance approval. That gives a pending delivery estimate of next week I suppose. Probably optimistic. Will shout out upon arrival.

Best to ya
Dave

Coffee

PS
I'm supposed to get ResMed Aircurve 10 & humidifier & heated hose along with ResMed Mirage Quattro mask. I'm not certain I'll be best friends with that mask but I've still got Amara View to try, and likely trying others. FWIW
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-27-2017, 03:35 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Dude, that's fantastic, and you eeked out a win over SarcasticDave for the first ASV.  Glad it's working out and hope that continues.  Now tell me how your doctor figured out how to say "I knew it all along", even when he fought you every step of the way.

Well, I bailed on my original doctor and found a REAL one, so I haven't communicated.

If they've forgotten me, they're going to remember real quick.

I just called them to make sure I've paid all the bills before my next step.

I'm kinda dizzy right now with mixed emotion.

Euphoria and extreme rage.

I have to calm down before I embark on a Yelp, Google, Vitals, Healthgrades, RateMDs, Zodoc (and any other doctor review sites I can find) campaign to out these incompetent morons (in my opinion, [legal disclaimer]).

Every time I think of what I've been through, I'm LIVID.

This along with sadness for all the DME folks who really went out of their way for me who are losing their jobs.

Medicare reimbursement cuts are forcing mass DME closures here in California.

Other than that, I'm really pleased with the ASV performance, and surprised too.

Going over the sleepyhead patterns, it looks like I couldn't possibly have slept so well.

Pressure wildly varying from 9 to 21 all night, but AHI zero all along.

Maybe it's because I'm used to looking at the fixed pressure of BIPAP ST.

Again Sleeprider, THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Post Reply Post Reply
Herb,

I'm so glad you fired the Duck. Hope that lowers your stress levels at least some. I'm slated to do duck firing in near future. Just stuck with current long enough to get ASV and then that insurance face-to-face. I guess a month more, then I transfer.

Again best to ya on ASV
Dave Eat-popcorn Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 22 450 03-17-2024, 07:50 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  Oscar and SD cards for machine/user swap ahuman 3 87 03-15-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 203 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 173 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP to BiPAP... Korndog 22 1,153 02-19-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Korndog
  candidate for bipap??? eok361 6 440 02-17-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: eok361
  [CPAP] Help with bipap settings airwaystent 25 1,553 01-29-2024, 08:38 AM
Last Post: airwaystent

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.