Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Fuzzy Head
Fuzzy Head
Hi I am on day 3 with my machine. I am feeling a little less tired, I am not struggling with the pressure but the full face mask will take a while. What Id like to know is, the technician mentioned something about the fuzzy head being a rem sleep head ( because I actually got rem sleep ) How long does this half day foggy heads last. I feel like the beginning of a head cold for 3-4 hrs after I get up. It is a bizarre feeling feeling refreshed and head foggy at the same time.

ty
coeur
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Fuzzy Head
Hi coeur,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I would think the fuzzy headed feeling should go away with time as you use your CPAP machine. If it doesn't, you might ask your Dr. about it.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
coeur, welcome, quite often people get a clear headed feeling after starting as they have been fuzzy or foggy headed for a long time. This is the start of a long journey you are on, don't panic and see how it goes after a couple of weeks. Does it lift during the day? Good luck with it and keep at it and keep us updated.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2014, 06:13 PM)coeur Wrote: What Id like to know is, the technician mentioned something about the fuzzy head being a rem sleep head ( because I actually got rem sleep ) How long does this half day foggy heads last. I feel like the beginning of a head cold for 3-4 hrs after I get up.
I've not come across this term "REM sleep head". We go through different sleep stages throughout the night and REM sleep is restorative stage of vital importance to the body and mind
Which Icon model is your machine, Auto and Premo are data capable machines, Novo is not

Am I understanding correctly, when you say head cold, you,re talking about nasal congestion, sinuses

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2014, 06:13 PM)coeur Wrote: Hi I am on day 3 with my machine. I am feeling a little less tired, I am not struggling with the pressure but the full face mask will take a while. What Id like to know is, the technician mentioned something about the fuzzy head being a rem sleep head ( because I actually got rem sleep ) How long does this half day foggy heads last. I feel like the beginning of a head cold for 3-4 hrs after I get up. It is a bizarre feeling feeling refreshed and head foggy at the same time.

ty
coeur

G'day coeur, welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure what rem sleep head is - I've not heard the term before. I suspect what you're feeling isn't anything to do with rem sleep but more likely is nasal / sinus congestion. I think a fair percentage of people experience some sort of congestion with PAP therapy. This can often be fixed by adjusting your humidifier up or down - there's no one setting that's right for everybody, you have to experiment.

A lot of people on the forum use some form of decongestant or sinus rinse. However you need to be careful with decongestants as some can have a rebound effect and you end up worse than you started after a week or so. I use a plain salt water nasal spray shortly before going to bed. I also put a small quantity of eucalyptus oil (just a few drops) on a tissue next to the air inlet of my machine. That keeps me breathing reasonably freely all night and I don't have a problem the next day.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
I also notice that my head feels a bit fuzzy, although refreshed and energized after using my machine, which I have been using most nights for the past 34 days now after being diagnosed and getting the machine about two years ago now. I finally started using it because I literally got so tired of being tired all the time that I'd give it a shot. It helps that my doctor gives me sleeping pills to fall asleep at night because I easily fall asleep with the mask on my face. I'd think it would be nearly impossible without the meds. The fuzzy feeling is new to me even though I have been on sleeping medications and anti depressants/anti anxiety meds for years now. I used to rely heavily on caffeine to get me though the day, I don't need it as much now that I use my CPAP, although cutting down has been a bit difficult. I hope to one day be able to fall asleep without the meds.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2014, 04:23 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: I also put a small quantity of eucalyptus oil (just a few drops) on a tissue next to the air inlet of my machine. That keeps me breathing reasonably freely all night and I don't have a problem the next day.

Good luck!

Tried your little tip with the "eucalyptus oil" myself, works a treat, thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2014, 04:26 AM)Mutineer Wrote:
(05-24-2014, 04:23 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: I also put a small quantity of eucalyptus oil (just a few drops) on a tissue next to the air inlet of my machine. That keeps me breathing reasonably freely all night and I don't have a problem the next day.

Good luck!

Tried your little tip with the "eucalyptus oil" myself, works a treat, thanks!
I actually add my Eucalyptus oil to my humidifier water. Like DeepBreathing, I believe it helps keep my sinuses clear all night and I reckon it might have helped keep some of the usual sniffles at bay that the rest of the family have suffered from but have bypassed me. I also believe it helps keep the humidifier free of nasties as well.

As for the OP and REM fuzzy head, never heard of it, though I feel I have been lucky with my therapy as I felt great even with the broken sleep on the "test" night in the lab. From day one of home use I have felt great.
Post Reply Post Reply
I suppose each to their own, I would not recommend putting anything in your water tank beside clean water

Some people place a cotton ball with tiny drop of eucalyptus oil next to the machine
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 257 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question Top of the head tubing connection problems GaspForAir 2 462 09-05-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Elevated head of bed increases CA and AHI silverdr 1 678 09-05-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  DIY idea to stop itching and rash back of head? okieman 15 11,054 05-16-2023, 02:55 PM
Last Post: Xltrod
  Head cold Barbara.Levitan 2 597 03-10-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Waking Up After ~90 Minutes with Strange Head Sensation MickTravis 3 776 01-20-2023, 10:49 PM
Last Post: ewriter
  P30i pulsating/hammering on my head koy23 0 521 12-19-2022, 04:32 PM
Last Post: koy23

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.