Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Benadryl Use
Benadryl Use
Before I was diagnosed with sleep apnea I used Benadryl for over 15 years for sleep. My doctor told me to never take this again that is has been linked to dementia. I did some investigation and read it causes a reduction in acetylcholine levels and discontinuation does not reverse the mental deficit and the drug may produce permanent irreversible dementia. I'm doing great with my sleep apnea at this point but having anxiety over this information which is now effecting my sleep.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Benadryl Use
Nothing you can do. Stop reading stuff like that. You'll be fine or you will not.

Instead, look into things that will fight against dementia. For example, using your CPAP. Brain exercises. Journaling. Learning a new language. Stuff like that. Take control of what you cannot and let go of the rest.

Also research sleep hygiene.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-25-2016, 01:32 PM)Judy1843 Wrote: Before I was diagnosed with sleep apnea I used Benadryl for over 15 years for sleep. My doctor told me to never take this again that is has been linked to dementia. I did some investigation and read it causes a reduction in acetylcholine levels and discontinuation does not reverse the mental deficit and the drug may produce permanent irreversible dementia. I'm doing great with my sleep apnea at this point but having anxiety over this information which is now effecting my sleep.

I think this article will help you to relax a bit on this topic:

http://www.clinicalcorrelations.org/?p=6162
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Crosswords puzzles are good mental exercise. When you get real good at them, you can word them in your mind without writing anything down. It's not necessary to be that good to get benefit, just working them the normal way has rewards enough.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
If this was your PCP, it might be worthwhile speaking with you sleep medicine doc about the benadryl use which hopefully they are aware of too. Even if it's to have a conversation about other options and to see what suggestions they may have.

Also, at the risk of sounding Pollyanna, considering working with a therapist is another option and possibly something to look into. Cognitive behavior therapy is known to help with sleep issues as well as anxiety. A therapist can help with coping skills for anxiety and stress in general (which we know comes in spades when dealing with apnea) but also help with targeted interventions for insomnia, falling asleep/staying asleep. Behavioral health can be a big component for weight loss, too.

If you work for a company, your employer may have an EAP plan which you could find someone through. Or look at sites like Psychology Today, Health grades, or even seeing what the Sleep Foundation or APA might be able to point you towards.

Either way hope you start feeling better and the anxiousness subsides.

-Melody

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Benadryl and REM sleep JJJ 11 39,010 05-15-2017, 11:36 PM
Last Post: ZenGeekDad
Thumbsup Benadryl user Judy1843 10 4,603 10-11-2015, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Tez62

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.