Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

GF has sleep apnea - new user needing help
RE: GF has sleep apnea - new user needing help
crowtor - I haven't read about this and you sparked my curiosity. Would please provide the link or links that you are referencing?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Used machines are perfectly safe. Add new filter, mask, tubing and humidifier tub, or just disinfect everything properly. The flow generator can be disinfected on the outer case, and no patient flow ever reaches it. I reject that there is any more risk today than there was last year. These machines are for sale because they are no longer used.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi everyone! Its been some time now, but life­ happens.

So, I have just taken photos of the sleep study from our old study back in CA. Now I need to know what method you guys recommend to redact the information so i can safely post it up. I see a variety of options, but my computer is dated and i would rather not pay for software to use for this one purpose.

She also purchased a machine out of pocket. She chose the resmed airsence 10 auto, and has been on a 4.0 - 20.0 settings since she got it (approaching 60 days). The ahi is still high, but seems to vary as well. I had already copied over the data from the sd card in the machine as well, and used oscar to briefly peruse the results. I have to say, I am impressed with how thorough they appear to be. I cant claim to understand it all yet, but the data nerd in me is excited.

Any other advice for me while I prepare these other steps?
Post Reply Post Reply
Derek, we don't need the sleep study at this point. Let's focus on getting OSCAR installed and posting some charts to the forum using the machine. It's going to be a lot more help if we can suggest ways to optimize the Airsense 10 Autoset. For starters, simply move the minimum pressure to 7.0 and set EPR to full-time at a setting of 2. If you can tell us the types of events from the on-screen sleep report that will help. If you don't see a detailed sleep report on screen, then change the setting for Essentials from On to Plus.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply!

I have installed OSCAR already and uploaded the data from the sd card, but i have to admit, this seems very overwhelming. There is a LOT of data to sort through. 

In your suggested to change the pressure and the EPR, is that for the next nights going forward, to gain new data to review? 

I am currently tinkering around with OSCAR settings per the article in your signature, and trying to gather the appropriate data that you pros might need to make any recommendations.
Post Reply Post Reply

Here is the first screenshot from oscar. Hope this was a proper format. I believe it looks like the example format in the wiki page. Please let me know if any other information is critical to the next step.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh thanks for the screen shot, It loos like your GF does not have obstructive sleep apnoea but Central Sleep apnoea, all of the events are Central in nature and the machine did not do anything to attempt to raise pressure so It looks like not much Obstructive going on.

I would set the min pressure to 6 as 4 can feel suffocating. I am sure others will be along to give advice but your GF's data looks challenging.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the feedback, Jas! 

Its definitely a lot to absorb, but she is miserable. Other health issues are present, but we think they might be agitated by and elevated by the apnea, so we're just desperate to find some relief. We do have another in-office sleep study schedule in town as well, I think sometime later this month. We had an introductory appointment last week as well, where the NP adjusted the settings to a continuous 8.0 I believe.
Post Reply Post Reply
Given that all of the events are central apnea, we need to forget my previous suggestion for EPR, and if you can get the sleep study posted, that is going to be really helpful. Keep EPR off and try a minimum pressure of 6.0 as suggested. The one cluster of OA looks like a chin-tuck that causes the airway to be restricted. Since it is only one event there is not action required. To redact the sleep study, look for any shareware image editor that allows markup. Programs like InPaint allow editing online (drag and drop) or you can download the program for your computer.

If the number of CA events continues to be high, then your girlfriend needs to talk to her doctor to discuss the problem. Obstructive sleep apnea is a completely different animal from central apnea, and she is going to need a clinical sleep study to document and diagnose the problem. Ideally it will be a study that attempts to titrate CPAP and bilevel. Sometimes these events diminish without any intervention but the long-term outlook here is for an adaptive servo ventilator (ASV) which can treat central events by providing increased pressure to cause a breath in an open airway when there is no spontaneous breathing effort. If you thought CPAP was complex, just standby to have your mind blown as we get into further depth on ASV.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
We have a sleep study scheduled for later this month with the doctor as well. At this point it seems like this machine would not be the proper machine for her needs, perhaps?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 227 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 612 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 288 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 125 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 158 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.