kfujioka Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Bipap system one auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Air fit P10 and The Hybrid
Humidifier: System One heated humidifier & heated tube
CPAP Pressure: 12/07 for bipap
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: New to sleep apnea however think I have had it for a year because started having symptoms a year ago

Sex: Female

Gabapentin and sleep apnea
Hi. I have insomnia in addition to OSA. I have been taking Seroquel but I know it increases my apneas. Now I am thinking of taking Gabapentin. My doctor prescribed it for my insomnia. (I haven't taken it yet though. ) My regular doctor
Knows nothing about OSA. Does anyone here know about Gabapentin? Does it cause apneas to increase?
I am going to the sleep doctor Sept 4th so I thought I'd ask him.
Thanks for sharing
Kim

Kimberly from HonoluluSleep-well
08-27-2014 10:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Gabapentin and sleep apnea
Right off I can't remember much about it except it has been discussed here a lot. Until someone who is more in touch with their memory banks than I am comes along to answer you question, try doing a forum search for that word. I did one and got some results.

Here's the link to it:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/search....order=desc

But in case that link doesn't work (not sure it carries over), you can try doing one yourself.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-How-to-Doing-a-Forum-Search

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-27-2014 10:30 PM
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Be very careful about Gabapentin. Take it according to directions, and watch out for the side effects. Read up to know what to watch for, don't just leave it up to your doctor. Sometimes the doctors are a little too blase about the side effects.

There can be withdrawal problems. Suicidal thoughts can also be a problem.

Unfortunately, I didn't really answer your question, but felt the warning needed to be said.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
08-28-2014 02:32 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

(08-28-2014 02:32 AM)archangle Wrote:  Be very careful about Gabapentin. Take it according to directions, and watch out for the side effects. Read up to know what to watch for, don't just leave it up to your doctor. Sometimes the doctors are a little too blase about the side effects.

There can be withdrawal problems. Suicidal thoughts can also be a problem.

Unfortunately, I didn't really answer your question, but felt the warning needed to be said.

You are right about the warning. I know a few people that have taken this and discovered that all the things they were experiencing were because of this medication. I met one person that liked it. Either way, do your homework and research this and all medications. Go to the websites that are set up to discuss the medication and read what patients say about the medication.

EX: One of my doctors, a long time ago, prescribed a medication for me. Before I would fill the script, I researched the medication and found out that it was newly put out on the market. Just like a first year car, I don't do first year medication. Good thing I didn't because there were some bad things with this medication and I believe there were some lawsuits because of it.

Just be careful and do your homework. Gabapentin has been around for a while but I have heard more complaints that good things about it.
08-28-2014 06:50 AM
DNB128 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resperonics System One A-flex
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: AirFit F10
Humidifier: Resperonics System One
CPAP Pressure: 9-18

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

Gabapentin did help me... my left foot was spasming at night and waking me up; the gabapentin stopped that... I do have some paresthesia in various extremities so the doc was OK with me taking it. I can't tell you if there's a relationship to cpap; I've only been on cpap for 6 months.
08-28-2014 04:02 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Angry [News] DANGER OF UNDIAGNOSED SLEEP APNEA srlevine1 7 553 11-21-2016 03:26 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Central Sleep Apnea? wayne99 8 769 11-20-2016 06:39 AM
Last Post: wayne99
  Sleep Apnea Alphabet Soup ladytimes 2 216 11-13-2016 02:16 PM
Last Post: ladytimes
  [News] Vitamin D - possible help for sleep apnea patients? ApneaNews 46 14,035 10-28-2016 05:01 PM
Last Post: scotty
  Sleep Apnea Surgery zeeser 5 597 10-26-2016 02:42 PM
Last Post: Kadenz
  Ordered a Auto CPAP / Was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea jakthebomb 15 816 10-18-2016 08:00 AM
Last Post: southerndoc
Sad [Diagnosis] Negative for Sleep Apnea? jakthebomb 19 1,291 10-13-2016 03:28 PM
Last Post: jakthebomb