Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Gabapentin and sleep apnea
Gabapentin and sleep apnea
Hi. I have insomnia in addition to OSA. I have been taking Seroquel but I know it increases my apneas. Now I am thinking of taking Gabapentin. My doctor prescribed it for my insomnia. (I haven't taken it yet though. ) My regular doctor
Knows nothing about OSA. Does anyone here know about Gabapentin? Does it cause apneas to increase?
I am going to the sleep doctor Sept 4th so I thought I'd ask him.
Thanks for sharing
Kim
Kimberly from HonoluluSleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Gabapentin and sleep apnea
Right off I can't remember much about it except it has been discussed here a lot. Until someone who is more in touch with their memory banks than I am comes along to answer you question, try doing a forum search for that word. I did one and got some results.

Here's the link to it:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/search....order=desc

But in case that link doesn't work (not sure it carries over), you can try doing one yourself.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...rum-Search
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Be very careful about Gabapentin. Take it according to directions, and watch out for the side effects. Read up to know what to watch for, don't just leave it up to your doctor. Sometimes the doctors are a little too blase about the side effects.

There can be withdrawal problems. Suicidal thoughts can also be a problem.

Unfortunately, I didn't really answer your question, but felt the warning needed to be said.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2014, 02:32 AM)archangle Wrote: Be very careful about Gabapentin. Take it according to directions, and watch out for the side effects. Read up to know what to watch for, don't just leave it up to your doctor. Sometimes the doctors are a little too blase about the side effects.

There can be withdrawal problems. Suicidal thoughts can also be a problem.

Unfortunately, I didn't really answer your question, but felt the warning needed to be said.

You are right about the warning. I know a few people that have taken this and discovered that all the things they were experiencing were because of this medication. I met one person that liked it. Either way, do your homework and research this and all medications. Go to the websites that are set up to discuss the medication and read what patients say about the medication.

EX: One of my doctors, a long time ago, prescribed a medication for me. Before I would fill the script, I researched the medication and found out that it was newly put out on the market. Just like a first year car, I don't do first year medication. Good thing I didn't because there were some bad things with this medication and I believe there were some lawsuits because of it.

Just be careful and do your homework. Gabapentin has been around for a while but I have heard more complaints that good things about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gabapentin did help me... my left foot was spasming at night and waking me up; the gabapentin stopped that... I do have some paresthesia in various extremities so the doc was OK with me taking it. I can't tell you if there's a relationship to cpap; I've only been on cpap for 6 months.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 248 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 356 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 616 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 294 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 129 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 573 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.