Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Gasping for air on new CPAP
Gasping for air on new CPAP
Hello Everyone,
Been searching around the net and found the board and decided to register. Im a relatively new CPAP user (got my machine on Dec 20). I have a Phillips Dreamstation with humidifier. My pressure setting is 11 and Ive recently changed my mask to the Amara View (started with the F10 and had problems with air leaking around my eyes).

Recently, my dad has told me that he has heard me gasping for air in the middle of the night and one night a choking sound. Ive also been waking up just a few hours into the night (4-5 hrs). Ive set my start pressure to 4 with a 40 minute ramp time and my humidifer on 4 with the heated tubing at 1.

Just was looking for any help onto what could be causing the gasping and waking up during the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Gasping for air on new CPAP
40 minute ramp time is a bit long, and starting it at 4 is too far from your therapy pressure of 11.

I would set ramp to start at 8 for 20 minutes.

I'm assuming you have the DreamStation Pro and not an Auto machine??

If you are gasping for air, could be you need a higher pressure. Or mabye your dad is hearing mask leaks?

If you would download #SleepyHead software, we would be able to better advise after seeing some data.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum. If you have either the pro or auto CPAP you can use #Sleepyhead to view your SD card and see of there are some events that correspond to the choking or other noises. The full data CPAPs definitely would record any breathing abnormality or snore. If you have the basic 200 series CPAP, then it gets a bit more difficult. I would suggest you increase your ramp starting pressure to 6, which should be tolerable, and limit ramp time to 20 minutes. If you see any condensation in the hose, then select a higher hose temperature.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi bryanfstew77,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You could raise your minimum pressure to 6 or 7, and leave your maximum pressure whare it is; you could also back your ramp time down to 20 minutes or so and see how it goes for you.
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy and also with fine-tuning it to meet your needs.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Check the filters, I did not realize how important that was until I was struggling.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gasping for air with FF mask Jskier 6 381 12-30-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Question Gasping for air as falling asleep with cpap Sleepyroshi 0 494 06-29-2023, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleepyroshi
  Woke up gasping for air and heart racing, but OSCAR detects no events matty675 1 625 01-15-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
  Snorting/Gasping myself awake with high heart rate DTBetter 2 1,101 05-18-2020, 10:57 AM
Last Post: DTBetter
Question Two days use-Wake up gasping for air jteetie 39 5,651 09-29-2018, 09:17 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Daytime gasping for breaths Livylou05 7 2,200 02-20-2018, 10:08 AM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  gasping tarah 10 2,134 12-11-2017, 10:41 PM
Last Post: Fixit50

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.