Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How many hours of life in a machine?
How many hours of life in a machine?
For instance a ResMed S9 Autoset which I have been offered used.
Looked at a video of this equipment and I believe I can see the machine hours from the extended menus.
Is there an effective lifetime for the machine (or any machine) in hours of use before total (or uneconomic repair) failure?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How many hours of life in a machine?
Over 15,000 hours for a 5-year lifetime, but nearly twice that is not unusual. I have run machines up to 20k hours, but changed due to the technology and data available on newer models.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have about 20,000 hours on mine. No intention of changing it until it dies.
Post Reply Post Reply
According to the repair guy, the machines are designed to last 15,000 hours. The Resmed and Respironics have a less than 5% failure rate before that (excluding dropping or water damage), but a much higher failure rate shortly after 20,000 hours. The failure may simply require new seals and not the motor at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both for the input. Makes me feel better about the one I am being offered.

I'm covered for 500 bucks on insurance over 5 years (equipment and accessories combined) so I figured I can use that for accessories and get a used machine each time I need to
Post Reply Post Reply
Odd, I did a further reply but its not here.

I am covered for 500 bucks on insurance for equipment/accessories over 5 years, so i figure to get a decent used machine and then use the insurance for the mask/tubes etc
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't stress enough how many machines are on Craig's List. Brand new less than 200 hour machines. People with insurance got them free, then "they just can't use them", or "they just can't adapt", whatever. Machines selling at $300 and less for brand new units. Set search to look for dumb names like "breathing machine", "ventilator", "sleep machine" as well as the standard CPAP, APAP, etc. CL never disappoints. 2 years ago when I started I got mine with 100 hours on it for $250.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
I came across an old Sunshine Horizon with 39,174 hrs. It's a
little loud but still works. But I sure wouldn't use it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 294 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 254 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 402 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 476 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,114 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Total machine use hours? milogurd 1 279 02-03-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Why do I wake up after a few hours sleep? John Reston 6 496 01-28-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.