Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Gasping for the oxygen
Gross 
Gasping for the oxygen
Ok friends, I just started trying to use my new s9 anto with the nasal mask and figured I'm a mouth breather. I bought a mask that covers my nose and mouth and I thought ,yeah this is gonna be good. I'm finally going to get a good night's rest.

Well now I wake up gasping with this anxiety of being smothered kind of clostrophobic feeling.

Need suggestions please. I have my ramp set at 35 minutes and the machine is a s9 auto and I like it ,but I just haven't been able to wear it all night yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Gasping for the oxygen
(02-22-2016, 06:02 AM)Restless sleeper Wrote: Ok friends, I just started trying to use my new s9 anto with the nasal mask and figured I'm a mouth breather. I bought a mask that covers my nose and mouth and I thought ,yeah this is gonna be good. I'm finally going to get a good night's rest.

Well now I wake up gasping with this anxiety of being smothered kind of clostrophobic feeling.

Need suggestions please. I have my ramp set at 35 minutes and the machine is a s9 auto and I like it ,but I just haven't been able to wear it all night yet.

Welcome to the forum Restless sleeper,
That claustrophobic feeling is normal when first starting out. Try using your mask with machine on while sitting up watching TV or reading for a half hour before bed each night. That helps acclimate you to the feel of the mask and pressure.

You may need to try a chin strap to help keep your mouth closed, and you can start practicing the tongue technique.

Place your tongue to roof of mouth with tip of tongue behind front teeth, then gently suck upwards. This creates a seal at the back of throat to block air from escaping.

This take practice, but can be mastered with perseverance.

What is the pressure range set to on your machine? If it's too low, that has a lot to do with feeling starved for air. What is ramp set to start on? If 4cm, that may be too low also.

Let us know.

Order the Clinicians manual for your machine:
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Download Sleepyhead software so that you can start to track your progress:
http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

More information is needed to respond.
First: Which S9 do you have? Read above the start button and put it in your profile. Is it an Autoset or?
Then: If an Autoset, what are the upper and lower pressure limits set to? Auto is a mode; not a pressure range.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like the reaction of someone with the minimum pressure set to 4.0. Come back with your settings and we might be able to make some sense of this.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Restless sleeper,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You could either decrease your ramp time, or turn it off completely and see how you do.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Restless,
May need a higher starting pressure. For mouth breathing you may want to take a look at a smaller mass mask. The Hybrid FFM, a nasal pillow & mouth seal area mask may not be as intimidating to you. The kit comes w/three sizes of nasal pillows & cushions. I find it a better mask for side sleeping. Has a chin flap, so no chin strap is needed, and mouth breathing doesn't matter. Hope you find what works for you. Smile
Cheers,
otrpu
Love your family, treat your friend(s) well, and don't waste your time. Everything else is just so much BS. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Been there, felt like that. You use ramp, as do I, what is the ramp starting pressure? I need 5.6 or higher to stop that feeling, a pressure of default 4 left me panicked and gasping.
Post Reply Post Reply
One of the most common things seen here on the board is folks with min pressures to low causing them to feel smothered.
Set your min pressure at a setting where YOU feel your getting plenty of air.
That varies from person to person.
Myself 8 is bare min i can deal with. I prefer and run no less than 10 min.
For you could be 7 8 10 whatever you are good and darn comfortable at.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your situation sounds familiar. I started with a nasal mask and found that I awoke with an extremely dry mouth more often than not. So I tried a full face mask for a while and couldn't get used to it. So I went back to the nasal mask and began to press my tongue firmly against the roof of my mouth after I started the machine. It took me a month, but my tongue now stays there all night, and I haven't had a dry mouth in six months. I didn't invent this technique all by myself. Someone here suggested it, and it works.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok I changed the pressures to 8 on the low side and 16 on the high side from 20 to keep from blowing up. I switched back to the nasal mask and it felt much better. I need a chin strap to keep my mouth shut and I hope that doesn't cause problems. Last night I was able to use it for about 3 hours. Until I had to jerk it off. Ugh. I'll keep training and hopefully get used to it. Thanks for the sugestions.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 804 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  AirMini with Oxygen darral.freund 2 1,001 02-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: darral.freund
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 396 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker
  Sleep study review / O2 ring - Oxygen Desaturation SingleH 5 592 01-07-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: SingleH
  Why would supplemental Oxygen be added to CPAP? kc90 18 1,149 01-02-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Gasping for air with FF mask Jskier 6 395 12-30-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Is there a standrad for Oxygen Desat Events. dataq1 3 450 12-27-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.