Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Gearheads: Gasoline Stabilizer
Question 
I have a vehicle I seldom drive. The gasoline gets "stale."
What is a good gasoline stabilizer?

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
PRI-G (Shell) is probably the best and most concentrated. Before you decide it's expensive take a look at the dilution ratio. It does not contain alcohol and inhibits phase separation and protects fuel from evaporation.

Sta-Bil is a common brand available everywhere. Not as concentrated, but is a tall-oil that works similarly inhibiting evaporation and phase-change.

Either is fine and I would just avoid isopropanol based products. These were useful before widespread alcohol blending and were mainly to keep water mixed into the gas, rather than settling. With so much ethanol in fuel now (you are in CA), the last thing you need is more.
Post Reply Post Reply
2 things; First, I have used a product named Sea Foam. How its name correlates to fuel stabilizer escapes me. Second, for long term storage and general use I'd recommend using ethanol free gas. Since you live in the land of Oz I checked and it is sold there. There is a website named pure-gas.org that lists locations by state. I use ethanol free gas in my lawn equipment and chain saws. It's far cheaper than replacing the seals in the engines.
Apnea Helpful Tips
Post Reply Post Reply

(01-22-2016, 02:56 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: 2 things; First, I have used a product named Sea Foam. How its name correlates to fuel stabilizer escapes me. Second, for long term storage and general use I'd recommend using ethanol free gas. Since you live in the land of Oz I checked and it is sold there. There is a website named pure-gas.org that lists locations by state. I use ethanol free gas in my lawn equipment and chain saws. It's far cheaper than replacing the seals in the engines.
Calif is not Oz. Gasoline without ethanol is available for special use; but not obtainable for motor vehicle use anywhere in Calif.

Calif changes he blend for summer/winter; which has more ethanol I don't know. But both contain some ethanol. I don't think it ever exceeds 10%.

Plus, I need to work with what gas in in the tank. So, I think the PRI-G is my best option.

Thanks Guys.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
There are some forms of fuel treatment that are supposed to be specific for preventing problems with storage of ethanol contaminated gasoline. I don't know if that's just marketing BS, or if it's really better.
Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Second Sea Foam . Not only will it stabilize but ive torn down carbs and used it to disolve varnish in the jets, absent a proper carb vat.
Great stuff.
Post Reply Post Reply

Yup seafoam works well.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use sta-bil in my mower. Gas doesn't last long here. I used to have a gallon of the original Berryman chem-dip. That stuff was liquid gold when it came to cleaning up parts. They went ahead and changed the formula to make it more environmentalcase friendly. Newer formula is about as effective as water. useless.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
I use Sta-Bil in the fuel for my chain saw as it's the one yard tool that seldom gets used but is always needed at the start of the growing season after sitting in storage all winter!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [News] Stupid Government made me spill my gasoline! SuperSleeper 16 5,329 06-14-2013, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Paptillian