Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

"Gel" pads for bridge of nose
"Gel" pads for bridge of nose
I think I need to find "Gel" (neoprene?) pads for bridge of nose to prevent mask leaks there. I have tried everything to eliminate them--unsuccessfully, and straps have to be too tight to even keep them down to a minimum.

I called "a major CPAP manufacturer" supplies number. They have them, but the price was insane and not covered by insurance.

Does anyone know of a good source?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: "Gel" pads for bridge of nose
I tried some thin ones and they leaked at the gap where the gel ended.
The mask seal stayed gapped open there.
I get leaks at that low spot between my nose and cheek anyway.
The brand is ScarAway. They might be cheaper than what you were looking at. B003DGWTXE is one example.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure which Quattro mask that you have. I had the Quattro FX and never could keep it from leaking into my eyes. I now have the Mirage Quattro and even at my 20 cm/H2O pressure, it does not leak. My problem with masks is prominent cheek bones and deeply recessed bridge of my nose.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-31-2015, 09:33 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Not sure which Quattro mask that you have. I had the Quattro FX and never could keep it from leaking into my eyes. I now have the Mirage Quattro and even at my 20 cm/H2O pressure, it does not leak. My problem with masks is prominent cheek bones and deeply recessed bridge of my nose.

Interesting-- Quattro FX is exactly the one that is leaking near eyes. My other one is an AirFit? F10? It leaks even more but at random places.

The leaks are not enough to affect therapy, but they wake me up.

Maybe I should see if the DME can get me Mirage Quattro.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-31-2015, 09:37 PM)jcarerra Wrote: Interesting-- Quattro FX is exactly the one that is leaking near eyes. My other one is an AirFit? F10? It leaks even more but at random places.

The leaks are not enough to affect therapy, but they wake me up.

Maybe I should see if the DME can get me Mirage Quattro.

For me the Mirage Quattro needed a thick gel pad. The ResMed Gecko is the best one I found, having tried 3 or 4 types. The others were all thinner than the Gecko. But unlike me, your face shape might allow you to use one of the thin gel pads sold cheaply at many drug store chains.

Supplier #2 has the lowest price I've seen for the Gecho, around $16 I think.

For me, the ResMed F10 (and Quattro FX) if used with a mask liner work even better than the Mirage Quattro plus a Gecko.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2015, 12:53 AM)vsheline Wrote: For me the Mirage Quattro needed a thick gel pad. The ResMed Gecko is the best one I found, having tried 3 or 4 types. The others were all thinner than the Gecko. But unlike me, your face shape might allow you to use one of the thin gel pads sold cheaply at many drug store chains.

Supplier #2 has the lowest price I've seen for the Gecho, around $16 I think.

For me, the ResMed F10 (and Quattro FX) if used with a mask liner work even better than the Mirage Quattro plus a Gecko.

I dug out my one remaining style from the storage box to try last night. It was the 1st replacement DME gave me long ago as the first try to solve leaks. Lo and behold, it is a Mirage Quattro. It was VERY uncomfortable. I don't know, I may be doing straps too tight, but I had abandoned it long ago, and last night was not good either--not at all. In fact, I changed over to one of the others about 4am.

What is a MASK LINER????

And how long do the gel pads last?
Post Reply Post Reply
A mask liner is a cloth that goes between the cushions and your skin. If your leaks are not significant therapeutically the liner might be a good idea. It generally will diffuse the leaks and make them much less bothersome or so I am told. There are disposable liners made by Remzzz (I think that is close to the correct name) and there are more permanent ones made by Padacheek. You can also make your own using old (or new) Tshirt material. To make one, put a piece of the cloth on a flat surface and put your mask on top of it with the cushions against the fabric. Trace around the mask about 1/2 to 3/4 inch out from the mask. Make a hole for your nose and voila, you have a mask liner. The Padacheek liner that I have actually attaches to the mask so I presume it is easier to use.

Sorry that the Mirage Quattro did not work well for you. They take some work to get them right and depending on the topography of your face and your therapeutic pressure may need to be tighter than what some folks like. You sound like you do not want to pursue this mask any further so I will not refer you to the several good discussions on fitting this mask properly. It is also possible that you do not have the correct size for you.

Good luck and the mask liners might do the trick for you.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I will look into the liner business.

The Mirage may indeed be the wrong size; it is a medium, as are the other two, but it feels REALLY big on my face. And I don't just mean the overall design being big--which it is--but the contact outline.

I do like the "feel" of the breathing with it, which seems much softer, nicer, cooler than with the FX or even the F10.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-31-2015, 09:33 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Not sure which Quattro mask that you have. I had the Quattro FX and never could keep it from leaking into my eyes. I now have the Mirage Quattro and even at my 20 cm/H2O pressure, it does not leak. My problem with masks is prominent cheek bones and deeply recessed bridge of my nose.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Those high cheek bones, admired by many who do not have them, have been the bane of my search for a good mask. There were so many I liked, but had to pass on because of those cheek bones. Oh-jeez

My sinuses will not let me use any mask that has nasal pillows either. Bummer. Been using the Hans Rudolph and alternating with the FP 431. Made a chin strap that goes from one lower strap to the other out of old headgear parts with velcro.

I agree about that problem of the gel pads causing leaks. The liners do OK I made some out of an old soft cotton t-shirt that work nice also...can wash them.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, this is very interesting. I took a close look at my masks, and the cushion size (chin to nose bridge) for the FX and F10 are very close to the same.

The Mirage Quattro though is MUCH "taller" (longer from chin to bridge) than the others..

All are marked as M size.

I wonder if a 'small' Mirage Quattro would work better for me...and why is there such a big difference in masks supposed to be the same size?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,815 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 202 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 153 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,984 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 173 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 650 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 466 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.