Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

"Gel" pads for bridge of nose
RE: "Gel" pads for bridge of nose
(04-01-2015, 04:13 PM)jcarerra Wrote: Well, this is very interesting. I took a close look at my masks, and the cushion size (chin to nose bridge) for the FX and F10 are very close to the same.

The Mirage Quattro though is MUCH "taller" (longer from chin to bridge) than the others..

All are marked as M size.

I wonder if a 'small' Mirage Quattro would work better for me...and why is there such a big difference in masks supposed to be the same size?

You got me there. I have no idea why the differences in sizing. I was fitted with a medium Mirage Quattro by a respiratory therapist. I switched to a small because I felt the medium was encouraging, with slight downward pressure, me to open my mouth and I was getting dry mouth. The change to a small worked for me.

If you feel like trying a small Mirage Quattro, I would recommend that you read an article on a blog called Mask Arrayed. The title of the article is "Taming the Mirage Quattro". It is listed near the top of the main page. Jan Knitz did a good job of describing a good method for fitting.

One of the things that I like about the Mirage Quattro is that, once one gets it all set up right, there is no more fiddling necessary. Just put it on and go. After a while the headgear will stretch a little and refitting may be necessary.

Sleep well.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Amazing. I read that "taming" article yesterday, and tried his technique last night. Basically he says let it be barely snug, as loose as possible, especially at the top using both straps and the forehead positioner...that the air cushion will fill to good fit and prevent the leak.

I could not get it to work like that--still required pretty good tightening to stop the leaks.

I am also having a problem with the tubing connector not being snug at all. Hose came off about half hour before dawn; never had that before. But hose fits other msaks snugly. Strange.

Wish there was a way to 'try' different masks without owning them, but of course sanitation prevents such.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2015, 11:59 AM)jcarerra Wrote: Wish there was a way to 'try' different masks without owning them, but of course sanitation prevents such.

Some online providers that we list offer "fit" insurance and sometimes it is at no additional charge. I do not remember which ones do but you might try #1, #2, or #10.with this "insurance" if the mask does not work for you, you can return it within a time limit and get a different one.

You might try a mask liner with your Quattro FX. If I had known about them when I was trying to use that mask, I might have gotten it to work for me.

Another mask you might try is the Simplus by F&P. A number of people on this forum have tried it and liked it and gotten good leakage results with it. Again, I bought a medium because their fit information said that was the right size for me. After trying it, I found that I needed a small primarily due to the topography of the bridge of my nose. One nice thing about the Simplus is that in order to change sizes all that needs to be changed is the pillows. You can use the same frame and generally the same headgear

I do not remember for sure but it seems to me that you said somewhere that you did not like or could not use the nasal masks or nasal pillows. If that was not you, you might want to try one of those types. I thought that I was having very good luck with a nasal mask until I started looking at my data to find out that my mouth leaks were pretty bad.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a pkg of 6 liners enroute, so will get to see if that helps.

I did not say about nasal types previously, but I don't think I would like them at all. Honestly, though, never tried.

I do not have SEVERE leak problem that affects therapy. Data is always within parameters--actually VERY low, just occasional rises. The problem is the burps or small continuous noises that wake me up.

My next steps are
-try the liners on Mirage Quattro and Quattro FX
if that not adequate
-try to get a small size Mirage Quattro
-Simplus by F&P

Beyond that, re-evaluate.
Post Reply Post Reply
If they are the Remzz liners, they are re-usable for a while and some on the forum even wash them. From what I have heard the liners should have a beneficial effect on the problems that you are experiencing. Cross your toes or something. Big Grin

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2015, 04:55 PM)PaytonA Wrote: If they are the Remzz liners, they are re-usable for a while and some on the forum even wash them. From what I have heard the liners should have a beneficial effect on the problems that you are experiencing. Cross your toes or something. Big Grin

Yep. Remzzzs

Post Reply Post Reply
I also had ordered a Boomerang gel pad and that arrived today. Will try it tonight.

I have been switching masks rather madly. Had one terrible night with Quattro FX which surprised me because I had used it fairly successfully for a while earlier. Had a bad night with Mirage Quattro, then a good night with it. Having a very hard time finding a "steady state" good one.

Experimenting to continue with the gel pad and the liners when they arrive--and the 3 different masks + maybe the F&P Simplus.

Have noticed that up/down "head tilt" GREATLY changes the tightness of the fit and allows/disallows leaks if mask is adjusted to "just right" with head in the "tight tilt direction" because that makes it too loose in the other tilt.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2015, 03:09 PM)jcarerra Wrote: Have noticed that up/down "head tilt" GREATLY changes the tightness of the fit and allows/disallows leaks if mask is adjusted to "just right" with head in the "tight tilt direction" because that makes it too loose in the other tilt.

Absolutely, but it does help a bit to keep the lower straps up as high as possible. I would think that across the ears and on the skull would be optimal but definitely not comfortable. I do not even think enough of that idea to try it.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Just stepping in with a progress report...
Summary is....very confusing.

The Boomerang gel pad arrived; have used it with Quattro FX and Mirage Quattro. I THINK it helps with leaks right near bridge of nose, but maybe has CAUSED some at the side--I presume where mask crosses the edge of it. They want it washed every day and stored only on the plastic sheets that come with it = administrative load.

One night was great; next night was a disaster with straps at exactly the same tension--did not change them.

Also think it is true that placing the mask 1/4 inch, maybe even 1/8 inch, up or down on your face can COMPLETELY change results.

Bottom line is that things have not settled into any repetition pattern so that I can make conclusions about mask/accessory.

Liners have not arrived.
Post Reply Post Reply
My Fisher and Paykel, Simplus FFM barely leaks. It also has extra give on the bridge of the nose; it's flexible. I like it a lot better than my F10, which I exchanged for this one two days ago. The F10 gave me pressure sores on the left side of my nose, and I have had to cut down a cloth band-aid, and put it on the spot for at least three days. That F10 leaked a lot.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 150 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,971 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 646 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 463 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.