Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

General Anesthesia and OSA
General Anesthesia and OSA
I'm scheduled to have a couple of procedures done, a colonoscopy and gallbladder removed. I've read some disturbing article over on sleepApnea org site, warning anesthetists about people with OSA. I doubt I can bring my machine to use during the procedures, since it will be done in a surgical center. Are anesthetists fairly aware these days about working with people with OSA? Do they know what to do with people that have OSA?
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: General Anesthesia and OSA
You should have a per-surgical consult with the Anesthetist. Inform them that you use a CPAP. No biggie, they just inserted an airway in me after I was out. You might experience a sore throat for a few days afterward.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What Red said.  I am not sure if they tubed me or not.  I did not notice a sore throat but lots else was sore so I may have missed it.  I'd bring your machine.  They put me on mine in the post-op recovery room as I kept getting into low oxygen saturation terriority.   Most of the time I had dedicated nurse sitting next to me reminding me to breath until the anesthetic wore off.  Not sure which of us was more annoyed.   Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
I am having a surgery today under general anesthesia. During the preop interview they asked if I have sleep apnea. Because I do they said that I should bring the machine in just in case it is needed. I am guessing that it may be used in the recovery room and not during surgery.

MyronH, I would bring it in. It would not hurt to have it there.

In my previous surgery's they have never used it but its better to play it safe.

car54
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Are Anaesthetists fairly aware these days about working with people with OSA?

They are over here, they told me not to worry as they have enough equipment to keep you breathing during the operation.
It is advisable to tell them in advance so as they can prepare for you going to theatre and make sure you stay alive.
So as long as you tell them, I am told you are at no more risk than anyone else.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
MyronH,
The hospital should call you for a preadmission consult before the surgery.  With a colonoscopy, you shouldn't have to worry, as it lasts a little under an hour and you are laying on your side.  

Gall Bladder surgery takes a little longer and you will be under general anesthesia.  Be sure the doctor, nurses and especially the anesthesiologist know you have SA and what machine you use.  Talk to them about what precautions they will take when monitoring you.  For the gall bladder surgery, you will probably have a breathing tube inserted.

It's a good idea to bring your machine or have a family member hold on to it.  They normally don't let you bring that into the surgical room, but you may be allowed to use it in recovery if needed.  

I've had both those procedures done. You just have to speak up ahead of time so that the docs are aware.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually had colonoscopy and other surgeries since sleep apnea diagnosis. Anesthesia tech had visited during surgery prep, each time asked about special situations including apnea. Make certain to mention apnea by type here. They stated they'd be ready for it, in each of my cases. Only one so far had to do oxygen tubing thru nose down throat to assist during surgery. Not been an issue.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I forgot to mention that endoscopies and colonoscopies at regarded as "light sleep" using Propofol and normally don't require any special consideration. These procedures require being orientated on your side.   The major concern for these procedures is making sure you are aimed the correct way. Big Grin    

Now surgery requires them to place you in a deeper state of sleep and is where the airway might come into play.  Fortunately, CPAP usage has been around long enough that it is not a major concern during surgery.  I suspect that they have to be on guard about is a patient that has SA and doesn't know it.  I would guess that this happens all too often.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW besides colonoscopy, I had a shoulder scope, the bariatric sleeve surgery, and spinal implant trial. I was "out" for scope and bariatric. No issues.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Make sure that whatever human accompanies you understands how to attach you to the mask and how to operate the machine. Practice ahead of time.

Some hospitals will not allow you to bring your own machine but "rent" you one at a very high price. Depends on how you are paying the bill, I think. The rental for my neck surgery would have cost $600 a day, not including the RT.

During the recovery, they may just ignore the snoring in order to do their thing. Or sit you up.

Bring your own oxygen hose to CPAP hose adapter in case it is needed.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Events worse in the morning and events in general getting worse Elizabeth79 45 1,996 02-14-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Elizabeth79
  General Issues Lusk 3 343 01-22-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Tonsillectomy And general anesthesia Jen0628jen 4 465 09-14-2023, 04:52 PM
Last Post: car54
Question [Health] Risking surgery with General Anesthetic henryrootytoot 21 1,599 06-26-2023, 10:14 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  [Equipment] Filters in general and the ResMed 11 Cpapian 3 833 06-25-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Melman
Question Can someone give a general idea what is going on here? SleepMonster12 9 1,078 01-17-2023, 12:36 PM
Last Post: SleepMonster12
  Help interpreting Watchpat and General Advice newuser1002 0 434 01-08-2023, 06:54 AM
Last Post: newuser1002

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.