Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Gently Used Low Hours. What does it mean?
Gently Used Low Hours. What does it mean?
I recently purchased a used machine from Supplier #2. They advertise their machines as gently used, low hour as below:

[Image: QFqwyff.png]

My machine has 1720 hours on it. By my calculations, at 8hrs per night, that's about 30 wks. This doesn't strike me as "Low Hours".

Am I being overly fussy or are they stretching the friendship?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Gently Used Low Hours. What does it mean?
FROM THEIR WEB PAGE:
All used CPAP machines acquired by our company have low hours - most machines have under 500 hours of use. We also provide a 6 month warranty on all used equipment.
All used CPAP machines and used BIPAP machines undergo thorough comprehensive internal and external cleaning and testing before resale. We take great pride in our pre-sale preparation of our equipment. We have a very large selection of CPAP machines.

To answer your question:
No, you are not being overly fussy. That does seem to be an excessive amount of hours on the unit. I would have asked before purchasing.
You could call and inquire about it.

Question: Is this the first unit that was sent back for repair for loud noises, or is this the replacement unit they sent you?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2016, 06:59 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Question: Is this the first unit that was sent back for repair for loud noises, or is this the replacement unit they sent you?

Well spotted Smile This is the replacement unit. The noisy unit I sent back only had 40 hours on the clock.

Unfortunately, there might be something else wrong with this unit. It displays an error: "Heating System Fault, therapy will run without heating." I've got no idea what that means.
Post Reply Post Reply
I see from your post they are giving you a 1 year warranty.
Call them and get it straightened out sooner than later.

Take a photo of the "Heating System Fault" message and email them.
They are very reputable, and should answer your concerns.
Good luck!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2016, 07:04 AM)comphelp Wrote: Unfortunately, there might be something else wrong with this unit. It displays an error: "Heating System Fault, therapy will run without heating." I've got no idea what that means.

There is a water tank on the side used to humidify the air you're breathing. There is a heater on the bottom of the tank to heat the water. Raising the temperature of the water increases the humidity. The heating element is broken.

You will still get air pressure, but no humidity. Actually, you'll get a little humidity with no heat, but not much.

Many people find the air too dry without humidification.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2016, 08:06 AM)archangle Wrote: There is a water tank on the side used to humidify the air you're breathing. There is a heater on the bottom of the tank to heat the water. Raising the temperature of the water increases the humidity. The heating element is broken.

You will still get air pressure, but no humidity. Actually, you'll get a little humidity with no heat, but not much.

Thanks for the explanation. That sounds like I'm going to have to send this unit back as well. My first unit had a whining noise. Unfortunately, I'm in Australia so return shipping is quite expensive.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Unfortunately, I'm in Australia so return shipping is quite expensive.

You've had two faulty machines in a row - I would put it to them (politely) that they should carry some or all of the shipping cost under these circumstances.
Post Reply Post Reply
it's just me, but when someone says the retail price new is $2300 and I know it is $850, this kind of marketing makes me question everything they say. Personally I would not buy anything from a company that inflates the truth like that.

Personal ethics perhaps and I am a marketing professional
Post Reply Post Reply
"Gently used" means there was only a small amount of heavy breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a bit behind with posting an update on this. The supplier's response about the low hours was as follows:

Quote:The average life expectancy of a CPAP or BIPAP machine is 15,000-20,000 hours. That suggests your device still has about 80-85% use left. We strive to keep the devices we sell at, or under 1500-2000 hours of use, as we have always believed that a device with roughly 80% use left, constitutes 'low hours'. I suppose at the end of the day, 'low hours' is a relative term. It is not uncommon for us to have devices with under 500 hours available, when inventory is high. That said, we always pull the device with lowest hours first.

For what it's worth, had I known that, I wouldn't have purchased a used machine. I sent feedback indicating I felt this should be stated more clearly on their website.

However, as I had 2 faulty used machines, the supplier was very helpful in the end. They sent me a brand new machine and also paid for return shipping. I've had this machine for a few weeks now and I'm very happy with it and the support of the supplier.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 292 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 254 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 475 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Total machine use hours? milogurd 1 278 02-03-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Why do I wake up after a few hours sleep? John Reston 6 493 01-28-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Consistently Waking Up After ~3 Hours on CPAP sammyg7241 2 439 01-20-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question [CPAP] Consistently Waking Up After 3 Hours on CPAP sammyg7241 2 529 01-11-2024, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.