Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

APAP Discussion
Money 
RE: [split] APAP Discussion
robysue,

This is a response to your post #32.

Am I correct in thinking that C-PAP = A-PAP?

So now how about Bi-Flex vs A-Pap?

Next, are the PS numbers settings in the setup process?

That's it for now - one step at a time. .... (We're again bouncing along in the car trying to get out a msg before the wrong screen touch wipes everything out - again!!!)

Phil
Post Reply Post Reply
Robysue,

One more question re your post #32.

I don't quite understand the "<=" in "EPAP: 6 <= EPAP <= 14 since max EPAP = max IPAP - min PS."

Phil

robysue,

So now how about Bi-Flex vs A-Pap?

Next, are the PS numbers settings in the setup process?

That's it for now - one step at a time. .... (We're again bouncing along in the car trying to get out a msg before the wrong screen touch wipes everything out - again!!!)

Phil
[/quote]

Post Reply Post Reply
pdeli, here is our Apnea Board Acronyms Wiki:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Acronyms

Lots of good info there.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well that will certainly keep me busy.

Phil
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2013, 05:21 PM)pdeli Wrote: robysue,

CPAP is usually used to denote a machine that blows a fixed pressure. It doesn't automatically adjust the pressures through the night

APAP is an auto adjusting PAP machine. The confusion comes from the fact that some companies call their APAPs by the formal name of "Auto CPAP" or "CPAP Auto". The full formal name of the most up to date APAP from Philips Respironics is the: PR System One REMStar 60 Series Auto CPAP Machine for example.

For prescription and insurance purposes, both APAPs and CPAPs come under the same billing code. Hence a prescription that reads CPAP at n cmH2O and a cooperative DME is all it takes to get an APAP instead of a CPAP. But Bi-levels require their own prescription because they come under a different billing code.

To muddy the waters even further, many people use CPAP as kind of a generic label for all PAP machines when they are talking about "PAP" therapy in general. And they use CPAP, APAP, or BiPAP when are

Quote:So now how about Bi-Flex vs A-Pap?
A BiPAP machine is not the same as an APAP machine. A BiPAP is a particular brand of a bi-level PAP machine. Bi-level PAPs change the pressure between every inhalation and every exhalation, but an APAP cannot change the pressure between inhalation and exhalations.

Bi-Flex is the name of the exhalation relief system found on PR BiPAPs. It provides an additional bit of decrease in pressure at the start of the exhalation beyond just the drop from IPAP to EPAP. Bi-Flex is very similar to A-Flex on the PR Auto CPAP and C-Flex+ on the PR Pro CPAP.

Quote:Next, are the PS numbers settings in the setup process?
They are in the clinical set up menu not the patient's set up menu.

Post Reply Post Reply
Robysue,

Thanks again for your clarity.

Let me see if I have this right: On my PR BiPAP Auto, Bi-Flex, 760P (with a pressure range of 6-16), if I can figure out how to change the internal PS settings to, min PS = 2 and max PS = 8, will that give me a starting (min) IPAP pressure of 8, and starting (min) EPAP of 8?

If not, what settings would work? What I'm trying to accomplish is a starting IPAP of 8-10 and a starting EPAP of 4-6.

Also, here's some good news (if it actually works). The Aprea Health Care respiratory supervisor in my area, has agreed to spend maybe 1/2 hour or so, looking at my sleepyhead data and interpreting it for me. He also knows my Kaiser Sleep Doc, but is apparently willing to spend the time to do this with me. This may only be because I was in tears on the phone, but nonetheless it worked!

If I can figure my situation out with the help of Bob (Aprea), I'm done with trying to get in line to talk to someone at Kaiser for fragmented (guarded?) explanations. Especially if I can get Bob's home phone.

Then all I have to do is thank everyone here again, and then see if I can sell my C-PAP.

I was originally thinking of keeping the C-PAP on our boat for short 2-3 day overnights so I didn't have to lug the Bi-PAP back and forth, but after a one day refresher test a couple of days ago, I found that the C-Pap was the source of a lot of stomach discomfort (air) and additional tiredness.
Also, now that I'm in a hotel working off my laptop vs my Galaxy fly-all-over-the-place screen in the car, I can better focus on what you've said and better construct my own posts and in more detail.

I'm still curious about the usage of the symbol "<==" in your previous msgs.

Phil
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-19-2013, 12:42 PM)pdeli Wrote: Robysue,

Thanks again for your clarity.

Let me see if I have this right: On my PR BiPAP Auto, Bi-Flex, 760P (with a pressure range of 6-16), if I can figure out how to change the internal PS settings to, min PS = 2 and max PS = 8, will that give me a starting (min) IPAP pressure of 8, and starting (min) EPAP of 8?
Starting IPAP is correct, but starting EPAP is not correct.

If min EPAP = 6, max IPAP = 16, min PS = 2, and max PS =8, then:

starting EPAP = min EPAP = 6
starting IPAP = min EPAP + min PS = 6 + 2 = 8
max IPAP = 16
max EPAP = max IPAP - min PS = 16 - 2 = 14.

And 2 <= IPAP - EPAP <= 8 on every breath you take.

So if EPAP = 6 and IPAP = 14 = 6 + 8 and IPAP needs to be increased, then both the EPAP and IPAP will be increased by the same amount to keep PS = IPAP - EPAP <= max PS

If not, what settings would work? What I'm trying to accomplish is a starting IPAP of 8-10 and a starting EPAP of 4-6.

Quote:I'm still curious about the usage of the symbol "<==" in your previous msgs.
<= means "less than or equal to". If I typed <== that was a typo.
Post Reply Post Reply
Robysue,

I got it all but the last paragraph. (Sorry)

I'm still not clear on what change in settings (if possible) would get me to a starting IPAP of 8-10 and a starting EPAP of 4-6.

[quote='robysue' pid='52865' dateline='1387490556']
[quote='pdeli' pid='52858' dateline='1387474932']
Robysue,.

So if EPAP = 6 and IPAP = 14 = 6 + 8 and IPAP needs to be increased, then both the EPAP and IPAP will be increased by the same amount to keep PS = IPAP - EPAP <= max PS

Phil

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 485 Today, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 374 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,363 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  New APAP machine Robert Detz 0 83 03-13-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Robert Detz
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,106 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 547 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf
Gross [Diagnosis] Moved from APAP to BPAP and struggling Spicykielbasa 1 191 03-10-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Spicykielbasa

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.