Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Getting Acquainted
RE: Getting Acquainted
And we're glad you found us.

We ain't perfect. Don't want to be. But us hoseheads, we gotta stick together.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I can't help but be a little concerned that you were told all Auto CPAPs are fully data capable. ResMed S9 Escape Autos are NOT fully data capable. They do not provide efficacy or quality of sleep data, they only provide compliance data and the only thing compliance data is good for is for the insurance company. Hopefully they didn't stick you with a brick.
Post Reply Post Reply
On the machine itself it says AutoSet next to the dial. All I can find on the back is ResMed Hi5 and on the bottom it says ResMed S9. I don't see anything on it that actually has the word 'Escape' associated with model name. The manual that came with it lists all ResMed models on it. As if it is kind of generic with basic setup and care instructions for all ResMed models. I haven't had time to study it yet but all I found on the screen this morning under information is that I used it 4.4 hrs. I thought I understood from reading the forum that I could get a little more basic info. off the screen besides how long I used it. Also on the back is a pack with an antennae and I know the data card is in that. He showed me hiw it attached. He said all information is uploaded to the store. They can see everything and will call me if they see an issue and I should call them if I think there is an issue. I am not really broadcasting that I intend to download data eventually and software. I sense from that earlier conversation with the sleep study coordinator about different machines and wanting full data capable when she said data is difficult to understand, that they want it left up to the doctor or the respiratory technician to read. She in passing said they are all data capable. The technician told me when I was quizzing him about the model that it was an auto machine. When I pressed him further for the specific model he said S9 and showed me on the bottom. He didn't say anything about it being an Escape, He said it was the best and top model machine. Does anyone else have data wirelessy transmitted to the provider? I definitely need to study and research it more after the holiday.
Post Reply Post Reply
You have a good machine, if it were a brick it would say Escape Auto instead of AutoSet right above the on button. A wireless modem that operates by cell signal is increasingly common and will probably be removed and taken back after the compliance period. Compliance is the main thing they are after so they can get paid.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah, You got the best one...at least from Resmed. You will be happy with this machine. I love mine. Gives you more data than you want to look at, but that's good too. At least you can look at the data and see if you are being helped or getting better. Also helps you identify problems areas. It ought to be against the law to sell non-data machines.

I would think the sleep doctors would all their patient to have data machines so they could verify the progress. My doctor has never asked to see my data, and hardly discusses how i'm doing. They listened to my woes, but offered little help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RockABye, congratulations on kicking the Big C! You are so right about having to be our own advocate. It definitely has been a necessity along the way. Good luck to you with getting the right equipment and quickly adapting.

Last night I didn't get much sleep and two nights ago at the sleep lab not much either. So now after cooking a large meal for a house full, I am pretty tired and ... hopefully tired enough to sleep.

The sleep lab had two generic masks to try. Small area I live in and small hospital. It was explained to me they only had two types available for titration, but that the therapist would be in to see me first thing in morning with machine and several other masks to try. Fot titration, tried a nasal mask and wasn't real comfortable with it. But the whole idea if covering my breathing parts is intimidating any way. The air just seemed so restricted and not like I had a whole big room of air to breath, but just that little bit in the nose piece and it felt pretty stingy with the amount available. I tried the full face mask next and was a little better but after a few minutes was hurting my head. I tried to shift the straps and managed to start feeling trapped in it and panicked. I think because the technician put it on and tightened it and I didn't exactly know how to take it off. Finally the technician said they had a few free samples of another smaller nasal mask and asked if I wanted to try a Philips Wisp minimal contact mask. Of the three I managed through the night with the free sample. I mentioned I just feel like I could not get enough air and had to keep breathing deep to satisfy my lungs with all three masks. She turned the pressure up for me and it became tolerable to get through the night. They told me I could keep it as a backup even if I chose another from the therapist. Just couldn't sleep well all wired up and the new sensation of something covering my nose in the lab. The therapist arrived in my room with my machine and asked if I wanted to try the nasal pillows and commented on the red mark on bridge of my nose from the other. I have the small sized nasal pillows as my nostrils are tiny according to therapist. Pillows is the most comfortable of all the masks so I will stay with that for now.

The therapist suggested that I start out wearing it for a while at home and get through as much of the night as I can. If I get tired and not sleeping he said it is ok to remove it and sleep without it for remainder of night and then do it again the next night and keep trying to work up longer each night. My spouse on the other hand got it in his head that it would be miraculous and immediate. Oh-jeez When I took it off finally after 3.5 hours, my husband became quite emphatic that I put it back on. Ugh! I tried to explain I wasn't giving up but needed a break. He let me drift off for about an hour without it then woke me up to put it back on. I decided I am not a fan of the ramp or at least the setting and had to read how to adjust it and cosequently wide awake again. After another hour wide awake with it on and pretty frustrated thinking of the day I had ahead with cooking Thanksgiving dinner, hubby conceded and mentioned taking it off to get a couple hours more sleep.

Hoping tonight is a better night. I explained to my husband again today of the therapists suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have found CPAP has accelerated my weight loss. (Actually, I just couldn't get under 190 without it no matter what). I don't know if it is hormonal, or just because being well rested has me making better choices about what to eat, but I'm not complaining.

You'll get used to it! Play with the ramp settings and the mask during the daytime so you don't have to sort these things out in the middle of the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
It can take a while, yes. The mask is probably the most important part of it. The best machine in the world is worthless if the mask leaks or is uncomfortable or causes issues with the user.

Sitting up with it on during the day is a good thing. Wear it while reading or watching television. It gets you used to the sensation of the mask, the air, the everything. Don't sit in bed with it, though. Bad sleep hygiene!

Using it during the day can also help you figure out what the settings all are. The ramp is only for when the machine is first turned on. You could try shortening the time rather than turning it off altogether. I turned mine off years ago. The EPR is the exhale relief. Once the machine is off the ramp, you can change it to see what works best for you. Put it on 3. This means it drops the pressure 3 points on exhale. Your pressure is on 10 so that means you inhale 10 and exhale 7. But some feel that the slight second where it switches back from 7 to 10 is when they feel smothered. If you do, then move it to 2. And remember, not having any exhale relief can feel smothering, too. It is trial and error to figure out which one it is.

You may like nasal pillows. Have you tried any yet? Minimal contact and you get the feeling all you have to do is open your mouth to breathe. I love them.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
PaulaO2, yes I am using the Swift FX Nasal Pillows. They seem the most comfortable of any mask I have tried. Last night was still difficult and I only used it just under 4 hours last night. Hubby said I did better than the night before though and slept with it a few brief moments. I don't recall being asleep at all while on it though! LoL! I think it is an eye opener for him seeing what is involved with adjusting to it.

There were a few times when it felt like there was moisture bubbling out of the nasal pillows and making my lip damp. Not sure why. I found myself adjusting the pillows in my nose a lot. I haven't seen a red frown face yet. Has been green smiley face so far.

I wasn't finding any readout on my machine other than usage and was not sure where to find other information. I have read about others seeing more info. on their AutoSets. I spent this evening watching youtube about the machine and discovered I had to hold the two information buttons down together for a few seconds and it brought up other screens of information. I don't think leak is too bad. It says 3L/min ... not sure if that means over two nights of use or just last night.

I have had a bit of sore throat since yesterday and not sure if it is from the CPAP or if I am coming down with something. It hasn't gotten any worse than when it started yesterday though and only on one side of my throat so I am thinking it could be CPAP related. I had turned down ramp from 45 minutes the therapist had it set to down to 5 min. last night. Tonight I think I will turn it off. Still learning where things are and how to adjust them. I have adjusted the humidity level too. We burn a wood stove so I probably need a higher setting for humidity. I had it quite low last night and still had that bubbly moisture though.

Such a learning curve with all this. I am glad I am a quick learner with technology. And know where to go to research things and get answers.
Post Reply Post Reply
The "bubbly moisture" is condensation from your breath in the mask itself. You can try making a little "snuggie" for it out of an old sock or something fleece. The heated hose keeps rainout from happening in the hose itself but doesn't help much for the mask or the mask's hose. The only other thing to do is warm up the bedroom some more.

I "fix" mine by sleeping with my head under the covers. Warmer that way, too!
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.