Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Getting Acquainted
RE: Getting Acquainted
(12-06-2013, 10:51 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: RLS can happen just as a person is getting ready to sleep (which is irritating as crap) and can continue shortly after falling asleep but is limited to leg movement and the usual "itchy crawly" feeling.

That tortured my dad for the last several years of his life. He couldn't sleep much at all and dozed off in the recliner during the day. I suspect he also had OSA.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My Dad has suffered for many years with RLS and also neuropathy. I think that plagues him more than the RLS. He often gets up in the night and gets in his recliner. When sitting in a recliner I often see him rubbing the bottoms of his feet back and forth on the carpet continuously. And he rubs his hands back and forth on the arm of the chair continuously. He is 82. I suspect he has OSA too. After I was diagnosed and we explained what was going on, my Mom told me in a later conversation that maybe my father has that too. He does snore, I have heard him when he has fallen asleep in the recliner. My Mom is 87 and has had Macular Degeneration for many years. She is very dependant upon him with her severely limited vision. My Dad has had 2 knees And a hip replaced. My Mom has had one knee replaced and thinks her other knee is on its way to needing replacement.

I think my older brother might have OSA too. I know he snores. He is very heavy. I know he had a sleep study several years ago and at the time he said they didn't find anything. In a discussion when I was diagnosed he told me they told him his snoring was due to being overweight. But he told in the recent conversation about my diagnosis he probably does have it. He is 59. It is possible he may have had a poor sleep study when he had it is my guess.

I had a hard time accepting that I snored since I was told I did some 24 years ago in college. It was mild up until a couple of years ago. I think things changed after my last cancer and chemo. Have gained 60 lbs in 4 years. That has been difficult for me to accept too. Snoring got worse and unbearable for my family the last couple years. I am talking more freely now with people I know and trying to make them aware of it. Same as Breast Cancer Awarenes which I am very active with. I guess if I have been given this mountain to climb I can be an advocate for awareness. In a week I have had two people tell me they think a loved one of theirs has it and are going to talk with them about getting a sleep study.
Post Reply Post Reply
The major obstacles to CPAP therapy are the confusing way the medical professionals diagnose and treat sleep disordered breathing (SDB) and the difficulty patients have with compliance.

This combination makes it all the more important that we be proactive in the treatment of ourselves and our loved ones.

The difficulty I have in promoting awareness is knowing others who have SDB and won't comply. Am I hounding them when they won't participate in their own treatment, or should I mind my own business and allow them to make their own personal choice for themselves? There's only so far we can go sometimes when we're trying to help people.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
all one can do is tell them what we know and what can happen if they do NOT get tested and treated if the have SDB. I knew 2 people (husband and wife) that had been diagnosed with SDB and they felt they couldn't afford the machines until they were told what could happen if they didn't purchase the machines and use them. It is their choice if they want to take that chance.

I think several years ago it was mentioned to me that I could have it (I was NOT overweight at all) but it was not explained to me what could happen if I did have it and was not treated for it so I just left it all alone.
Post Reply Post Reply
With the breast cancer, I took the approach of being open about my journey particularly on social media. I live in a small community. I did things like setting up a photo album and post a picture of a new hat I debuted each day. It became a game for my friends to wait for the next edition. I talked about the ups and downs. This wasn't my first rodeo with cancer having been diagnosed with colon cancer 10 years earlier at the age of 39. That too stunned our small community. I don't have history in my family of either and got both cancers young. I was 49 with breast cancer. Many in the area often told me if it happened to me it could happen to anyone. I became a 'go to' person for many who approached me with questions, recommendations of doctors, and sometimes just encouragement. I think being public and open about it, seemed to break the ice for others to approach me. I participate in a lot of Breast Cancer Awareness events and wear a lot of pink! I was kind of hoping for the pretty pink ResMed S9 AutoSet For Her Smile ... I got the silver one. Not even the pink Swift Fx pillows for her Thinking-about

My diagnosis of breast cancer was in Fall 2009, my husband was coaching high school football (American Football). The team was making a run for what turned out to be winning the first of three consecutive State Championships, which put us in the spotlight state-wide and even nationally. We were 3rd in National rankings. At the State Championship game, the media picked up on the story and broadcasters discussing it during the televised game. The kids on the team were wearing pink mouthguards, wearing pink towels with my initials, pink wrist bands, etc. Photographers getting pictures of me in the crowd with my turbin on. Articles were written by a NYS Sports writer as well.

I don't approach others and push anything on them but with so many knowing my history, I am often asked. When I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea, I had no clue what other symptoms are associated with Apnea. Now I have a whole new bank of knowledge on another important issue. I knew that people stopped breathing but that was the extent. If I can share symptoms such as nocturia (which I had and blamed on too much water in evening), weight gain and fatigue which I blamed on post cancer medicine and now know may not be the complete culprit, chronic headaches (which i never had, but know others that complain of it as well as depression), lack of energy that I blamed on old'er' age and a slight thought in the back of my mind of more cancer? (even though my follow ups are all fine), I am kind of relieved to know Apnea is probably the cause of that too.

I do think it is odd that I have had 8 surgeries in my adult life under general anesthesia, and so many colonoscopies I can't count, and significant amounts of time in hospitals with all kinds of medical machines hooked up to me and no one ever picked up on sleep apnea with me. The last time I had a colonoscopy a new doctor did inquire in general questioning if I had ever been diagnosed with sleep apnea. I thought it was odd as I had never been asked before. I hadn't been diagnosed at the time though and still wanting to deny I snored much less accept it was loud, I check marked no as my response. Guess those records will be updated next time I see him.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, with having had cancer twice ... I wanna make sure I am getting plenty of Stage 3 sleep. My sleep study reported during a 6 hr period, I slept 29 min. in stage 1, 260 min. in stage 2, 13 min. in stage 3, 24 min. in stage 4, and 33.5 min. in REM. My latency for REM was 3.7 hrs. Yikes!

I began therapy on Nov. 27. I didn't know how to get to the screen with basic numbers the first 2 nights. Only found usage. 4.4 hrs., 3.9 hrs. Since then:

5.5 hrs, 0 AHI, 3L/min. 0 AHI is deceiving ... I didn't actually get to sleep on the machine those 5.5 hrs.

4 hrs, 1.2 AHI, 2L/min
3.9 hrs, 0.5 AHI, 2L/min
4.8 hrs, 2 AHI, 1L/min
4.7 hrs, 0.8 AHI, 2L/min
8.1 hrs, 0.7 AHI, 3L/min
8.3 hrs, 1.8 AHI, 4L/min
9.2 hrs, 2.2 AHI, 4L/min
9.1 hrs, 0.4 AHI, 4L/min
Post Reply Post Reply
Learned something the hard way!

Yesterday I woke at 5:30 with the need to sneeze. I removed the mask and sneezed. I put the mask back on and adjusted it and suddenly was overcome with a sneezing attack. I sneezed several times before I got the mask off and machine turned off. My nose was full of congestion. I left the machine off and slept an hour more before I got up. When I checked my numbers, my AHI was 7.8. I hadn't had anything over 2.2 since beginning CPAP. That was a little concern to me. As I thought about it though, I think sneezing while having the mask on could have caused the index to rise. I would assume sneezes could create some condition hindering respiration and elevating the AHI.

Yesterday the sneezing attacks and congestion persisted all day. My nose was sore from blowing it all day and it was stinging. I became convinced as the day went on that I was getting sick and I felt more tired than I had since beginning CPAP. I was concerned how I was going to use CPAP with a cold. I only have a nasal mask and pillows and wondered how it was going to go breathing with a continually clogged nose. I took some Benedryl at bedtime and that relieved the symptoms pretty well. Luckily, I had Ayr Saline Nasal Gel w/ Aloe (thanks to those recommending it on this site). It helped alleviate the sting on my nose when I put the pillows on.

When I went to bed I checked the water level in my humidifier that I had not filled since Saturday when I cleaned things. I found it bone dry. It was probably dry the night before and I am now thinking that is why I had a bad time all day yesterday with sneezing and congestion. I filled it last night, slept well and all signs of sneezing and congestion are gone. My AHI back down to 1.0.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've had days like that, and using the NeilMed sinus rinse kit helps a lot. Love that thing.

Is your winter air dry? I empty my water tank every day, rinse and let dry. That way I have to remember to fill it because the machine won't run without the tank in it.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleepster, Yes we have very dry winter air right now. Snow is very light and powdery. Our temp today is 17 degrees. To add to it we burn a woodstove. I had not become accustomed to how quickly the water is used up in the tank. I do need to find a method of checking and filling the tank. Remembering to check it before bed doesn't work when I am tired. Seems like water is good for 3 days with each fill. We also have a home humidifier that I should start using. Doesn't do us much good sitting in the corner turned off. I need to get out and buy new filters for it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2013, 07:42 AM)ImaSurvivor Wrote: I do need to find a method of checking and filling the tank. Remembering to check it before bed doesn't work when I am tired. Seems like water is good for 3 days with each fill.
Back when I was a newbie, the act of putting eveything back together right before bedtime would wake me up and feed the insomnia. I learned to do it all by around supper time.

You could try something like that: Check and fill the tank when you get home from work or before you start putting supper together instead of waiting until bedtime.

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.