Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Getting Acquainted
RE: Getting Acquainted
If you're a morning person it's easy to remember to empty the tank and to set it aside to dry in the mornings. Sometimes I can pull that off, but not usually. Then I resort to doing it when I first get home from work. As I adjust to the routine of masking up every night I no longer have to be so diligent about remembering to do it before bedtime.

It's been a bit over two years now, and after lots of gradual improvement I feel I'm approaching a normal sleep pattern again. I'm having fewer and less memorable fragments.

I used to live in upstate NY. Very dry winters. That powdered snow can evaporate over night! Super clear views of the night sky.

A pot of water sitting on that wood stove will help a bit, although there is no substitute for a good humidifier.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good advice. I am hoping to get back to good solid sleep. I sleep well with the therapy now and not getting up at all in the night. My numbers are very good and leak rake is very minimal. The first week of therapy I never woke up the entire night and my husband was amazed and I think even jealous LoL. The last couple weeks I wake up a couple times briefly usually if my husband has disturbed me. He has trouble maintaining sleep and is now considering going for a sleep study. Can't blame me anymore for keeping him awake Smile He doesn't snore. But there may be other issues going on with insomnia, restless legs, etc.

There were nights when I would have such light sleep and could never seem to just let it go and fall into deep sleep. I would go through an entire night knowing I was kind of asleep but not really fully out and was aware I wasn't sleeping soundly. My sleep study showed out of a total of 6 hrs (359.5 hrs), I spent 29 minutes in stage 1, 260 minutes in stage 2, 13 minutes in stage 3, 24 minutes in stage 4, 33.5 minutes in REM. That was eye-opening to me!

The last two medical appointments I have started being questioned about my blood pressure and asking if I have been having trouble with it. At my original consultation about sleep with my family doctor in October, my BP was a little high when the nurse took it but had gone down when the doctor retook it. They indicated that sometimes happens just being at the doctor's. I went to a different doctor today and was elevated again. He told me the same thing about being at the doctor's and one reading isn't indicative but wants me to get a cuff and monitor at home and keep a log. I did report to him that I have just been diagnosed with sleep apnea and began therapy a couple weeks ago. He agreed it could be the culprit. I am not sure how long it will take to right the wrongs caused by sleep apnea such as elevated blood pressure. Neither of the two doctors have outright thought it is at a point of needing medication but they are watching it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2013, 02:34 PM)ImaSurvivor Wrote: I am not sure how long it will take to right the wrongs caused by sleep apnea such as elevated blood pressure.

In some sense the "damage" is just normal wear and tear on the human body and mind, and in that sense it can't be reversed.

But the adverse effects of OSA can be halted with CPAP therapy, and that includes things like blood pressure.

My blood pressure, like yours, has been sometimes borderline high, and sometimes high. CPAP therapy and exercise are both quick and easy ways for me to get it under control. I've got that CPAP therapy thing nailed, but the exercise ... Dont-know
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am in the gym 3-4 nights a week for an hour. Sometimes more when I can. I am married to a retired football coach of 36 years. No slacking allowed LoL. I get the stink eye if slacking is perceived Big Grin I am on a post cancer medicine that is raising havoc with weight gain and impossible to drop weight and is documented on another forum with hundreds of posts from women taking the same med suffering the same problem. Also causing joint and muscle pain and stiffness. I feel like someone twice my age.

I switched meds 2 years into what was supposed to be a 5 year plan to get away from pretty dangerous side affects of the first. Stroke, Blood Clots and raising risk of another kind of cancer. This 2nd med is causing the weight gain and pain. My Oncologist said she wants me on the most recent med total of 5 years regardless of the first 2. That goes against all that I have known of others that have been through the same cancer. And even when I began she told me 5 years total. I have complained about the weight gain and she tells me eat less exercise more. Over and Over. I know my body and it is more than that. I was thin at the beginning of this ordeal. I have put on 60 lbs in 4 years. I lost a lot of weight several years before the cancer and know how to do it and what to do. She won't listen to me and she sees me once every 6 mos. I watch what I eat and I exercise regularly. Today I met with another doctor and was told exactly what I have believed. It doesn't matter that I changed meds. He is familiar with both drugs and both do the same thing post breast cancer. I haven't had any scares and all my followups have been clear. There is no reason to believe I need extra precaution and a lengthened timeline. I know sleep apnea also plays a role in weight gain. There is probably a double whammy going on at this point.

When I have my next oncology followup in January, I will be letting her know I am done with the med at the end of 5 years which arrives in a few months. It has been emotionally tough on me as well as physically with frustration, extra weight, more pain, less flexibility and movement, and less energy. As my husband said today it is time to move forward and take care of things at hand ... the elevating BP and reversing the weight gain and of course continued CPAP therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just received a text message from my DME that I have satisfied my compliance. This makes me happy to have it behind me with going away soon. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Yay! Now you don't have to worry about the time thing.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Exactly my thoughts! Interesting getting a text about it ... but kind of nice. Said to call them for details which I will do tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.