Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX for Her
Humidifier: Resmed
CPAP Pressure: 8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

Getting CPAP-what should I ask about at setup
I completed the second part of the sleep study and did well w/nasal pillows and settng of 9. I should be contacted this week about getting the equipment--my impression is that the DME people will be contacting me.

Assuming they come and actually talk to me about the equipment (from what I've read on this board, this seems to be hit or miss); other than:

1. how do i turn it on and off, use humidifier, and hook up hose, and use Ramp (if needed) are there any questions you think are very important to ask, or wish you had asked at set up.

I don't know the make or modal, but even if they don't provide it, I am planning on getting resmed 9s autoset, or 10s autoset for her.

used the nasal pillows for Her (pink strap, forgot manufacturer) and plan on continuing them. Also appears the 'slimline' (or whatever it is called-the slimmer hose) is preferred but I'm not sure if that is big deal.

Any suggestions re: what to be sure to ask would be appreciated.

I also want to thank the people on this board. I have learned a great deal from the short time i have been coming to it (and yes, I donated!! ) Thanks
01-19-2015 04:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Crimson Nape Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: P-10 / F&P Simplus / DreamWear
Humidifier: H5i w/Climateline
CPAP Pressure: 8 - EPR 3
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: CMS-50F & 50IW

Sex: Male

RE: Getting CPAP-what should I ask about at setup
Your DME should provide you with a patient's operational booklet for your unit. All Resmed CPAPs come with them.

The slimline hose is just a plain old hose, just a little smaller in diameter. This varies by the person but my treatment responded very well by adding a ClimateLine heated hose in lieu of the Slimline. It reduces "rainout" (condensation) in the mask and hose.

If it said "For Her" it's probably a Resmed item. . . That's their latest thing.

Welcome to becoming a fellow "Hosehead". Dreams await!

Statistics prove that people who have more birthdays live longer.
01-19-2015 05:08 PM
Mr. Van Winkle Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Eson
Humidifier: Airsense
CPAP Pressure: 9 -15
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

It was all a blur for me, But I chose not to use the DME the doctor wanted me to, so I had him send my prescription to my DME choice and about all can tell you is the doctor prescribe an auto machine for me and my pressure range is 9-15, which made since to me because it gives me a range rather than a fixed pressure. An auto set machine can do a range or a fixed pressure. But I do believe it has to be from your doctors prescription not just your choice.
I'm sure you'll get more responses so be patient your at the right place, there are lot of knowledgeable folks here.

Welcome Smile
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2015 05:15 PM by Mr. Van Winkle.)
01-19-2015 05:14 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Mr. Van Winkle Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

Once you get the low down on how the machine will work,
remember to ask them how often you can replace parts like, mask,pillows, head gear, filters, hoses ect.
Also there are a lot of video's on You Tube on CPAP that can be very helpful, and of course this board.

Sleep-well
01-19-2015 05:24 PM
Eurika Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Airsense10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Nuance Gel
Humidifier: Intergrated
CPAP Pressure: 5 to 11.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

I would opt for the A10 since it is a newer model, and very easy to use, although I believe the S9 is much loved by users I would go for the latest model, particularly as it's been on the market for a while and doesn't appear to have any significant negative feed on forums.

Failure is NOT an option.
01-22-2015 03:28 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

(01-19-2015 04:24 PM)Mischief Wrote:  I completed the second part of the sleep study and did well w/nasal pillows and settng of 9. I should be contacted this week about getting the equipment--my impression is that the DME people will be contacting me.

Assuming they come and actually talk to me about the equipment (from what I've read on this board, this seems to be hit or miss); other than:

1. how do i turn it on and off, use humidifier, and hook up hose, and use Ramp (if needed) are there any questions you think are very important to ask, or wish you had asked at set up.

I don't know the make or modal, but even if they don't provide it, I am planning on getting resmed 9s autoset, or 10s autoset for her.

used the nasal pillows for Her (pink strap, forgot manufacturer) and plan on continuing them. Also appears the 'slimline' (or whatever it is called-the slimmer hose) is preferred but I'm not sure if that is big deal.

Hi Mischief,

Call them up before they come over, to inform them you are looking for a DME provider who will provide the AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her model, with heated hose.

You can find out from your insurance company which DME providers are included in your medical network.

Your doctor would likely be happy to include a pressure range on the prescription (so you can get an auto-adjusting machine), add a specific machine model, add a heated tube, and add "mask of patients choice" if you ask.

Even with a single fixed-pressure prescription, the DME can provide you the A10 AutoSet For Her model with the settings set for the fixed pressure. However, it often makes everything easier if the doctor prescribes a range for pressure, even if the range is very narrow, such as minimum 8 to maximum 9.

You will never have more options and power than before you accept a machine from them.

Good luck,
--- Vaughn

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2015 01:55 PM by vsheline.)
01-25-2015 03:49 AM
Mr. Van Winkle Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

You will never have more options and power than before you accept a machine from them.

Good luck,
--- Vaughn
[/quote]

Now that's the best advice you could have, get what you want before they suck you in!

Wish you well!
Sleep-well

Mr. Van Winkle
01-25-2015 10:52 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

Read the "useful links" in my signature line. It gives you a lot of advice on not getting screwed. Many new CPAPers get screwed with the wrong CPAP machine.

Some machines are very much more capable than others and it makes a big difference to your health.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
01-25-2015 12:37 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  First machine!! Just arrived, setup help please. SJGino 4 269 11-16-2016 08:49 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  My battery backup setup GeoffD 278 22,271 10-27-2016 05:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Quick Setup question for PRS1 OMyMyOHellYes 15 625 07-31-2016 09:10 PM
Last Post: Ghost1958
  DreamStation Auto - setup question KSMatthew 3 398 07-11-2016 11:18 PM
Last Post: chill
  Resmed S9 SD card setup davek 9 1,200 04-27-2016 04:19 PM
Last Post: Dawei
  Somnetics Transcend Clinician Setup Manual lighiche 4 892 03-31-2016 11:22 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Seeking initial setup suggestions for AirSense S10 Autoset Caldera 2 584 03-21-2016 01:40 PM
Last Post: Caldera