Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Getting CPAP-what should I ask about at setup
Getting CPAP-what should I ask about at setup
I completed the second part of the sleep study and did well w/nasal pillows and settng of 9. I should be contacted this week about getting the equipment--my impression is that the DME people will be contacting me.

Assuming they come and actually talk to me about the equipment (from what I've read on this board, this seems to be hit or miss); other than:

1. how do i turn it on and off, use humidifier, and hook up hose, and use Ramp (if needed) are there any questions you think are very important to ask, or wish you had asked at set up.

I don't know the make or modal, but even if they don't provide it, I am planning on getting resmed 9s autoset, or 10s autoset for her.

used the nasal pillows for Her (pink strap, forgot manufacturer) and plan on continuing them. Also appears the 'slimline' (or whatever it is called-the slimmer hose) is preferred but I'm not sure if that is big deal.

Any suggestions re: what to be sure to ask would be appreciated.

I also want to thank the people on this board. I have learned a great deal from the short time i have been coming to it (and yes, I donated!! ) Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Getting CPAP-what should I ask about at setup
Your DME should provide you with a patient's operational booklet for your unit. All Resmed CPAPs come with them.

The slimline hose is just a plain old hose, just a little smaller in diameter. This varies by the person but my treatment responded very well by adding a ClimateLine heated hose in lieu of the Slimline. It reduces "rainout" (condensation) in the mask and hose.

If it said "For Her" it's probably a Resmed item. . . That's their latest thing.

Welcome to becoming a fellow "Hosehead". Dreams await!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It was all a blur for me, But I chose not to use the DME the doctor wanted me to, so I had him send my prescription to my DME choice and about all can tell you is the doctor prescribe an auto machine for me and my pressure range is 9-15, which made since to me because it gives me a range rather than a fixed pressure. An auto set machine can do a range or a fixed pressure. But I do believe it has to be from your doctors prescription not just your choice.
I'm sure you'll get more responses so be patient your at the right place, there are lot of knowledgeable folks here.

Welcome Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Once you get the low down on how the machine will work,
remember to ask them how often you can replace parts like, mask,pillows, head gear, filters, hoses ect.
Also there are a lot of video's on You Tube on CPAP that can be very helpful, and of course this board.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I would opt for the A10 since it is a newer model, and very easy to use, although I believe the S9 is much loved by users I would go for the latest model, particularly as it's been on the market for a while and doesn't appear to have any significant negative feed on forums.
Failure is NOT an option.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2015, 04:24 PM)Mischief Wrote: I completed the second part of the sleep study and did well w/nasal pillows and settng of 9. I should be contacted this week about getting the equipment--my impression is that the DME people will be contacting me.

Assuming they come and actually talk to me about the equipment (from what I've read on this board, this seems to be hit or miss); other than:

1. how do i turn it on and off, use humidifier, and hook up hose, and use Ramp (if needed) are there any questions you think are very important to ask, or wish you had asked at set up.

I don't know the make or modal, but even if they don't provide it, I am planning on getting resmed 9s autoset, or 10s autoset for her.

used the nasal pillows for Her (pink strap, forgot manufacturer) and plan on continuing them. Also appears the 'slimline' (or whatever it is called-the slimmer hose) is preferred but I'm not sure if that is big deal.

Hi Mischief,

Call them up before they come over, to inform them you are looking for a DME provider who will provide the AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her model, with heated hose.

You can find out from your insurance company which DME providers are included in your medical network.

Your doctor would likely be happy to include a pressure range on the prescription (so you can get an auto-adjusting machine), add a specific machine model, add a heated tube, and add "mask of patients choice" if you ask.

Even with a single fixed-pressure prescription, the DME can provide you the A10 AutoSet For Her model with the settings set for the fixed pressure. However, it often makes everything easier if the doctor prescribes a range for pressure, even if the range is very narrow, such as minimum 8 to maximum 9.

You will never have more options and power than before you accept a machine from them.

Good luck,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
You will never have more options and power than before you accept a machine from them.

Good luck,
--- Vaughn
[/quote]

Now that's the best advice you could have, get what you want before they suck you in!

Wish you well!
Sleep-well

Mr. Van Winkle
Post Reply Post Reply
Read the "useful links" in my signature line. It gives you a lot of advice on not getting screwed. Many new CPAPers get screwed with the wrong CPAP machine.

Some machines are very much more capable than others and it makes a big difference to your health.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 107 6 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,678 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
Thumbsup NEW MEMBER INFO: GET YOUR OWN [secret] CPAP SETUP MANUAL SuperSleeper 1 1,941 02-17-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 250 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
  My battery backup setup GeoffD 323 88,211 10-16-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: Hintertux
  New DreamStation 2 setup KSMatthew 7 791 08-24-2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: KSMatthew
  Beefy CPAP battery setup that can be taken on a plane mitzvahtime 2 1,370 08-02-2023, 03:04 PM
Last Post: mitzvahtime

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.