Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Getting Comfortable with Windows 8.1
RE: Getting Comfortable with Windows 8.1
Kind of off-topic, but increasingly, open-source (free) Linux on the desktop PC is a much more viable option these days than it has been in the past. In comparison to Windows of any flavor, there's hardly any viruses written specifically for Linux. And in my opinion, Linux is more robust. I use Ubuntu Linux (there are numerous 'distributions' of which Ubuntu is probably the most popular for destop PCs) and I can now do just about anything I ever did with Windows. Plus, nearly all the Linux software is free.

With the Linux package called "Wine", you can run many Windows apps within Linux.

I do like Win7 out of all the Windows flavors - it's pretty good. Prior to that my favorite was WinXP, and before that Win2k, and before that Win 98se, and before that DOS 6.22. Grin

Haven't tried Win8 yet, but I hear a lot of complaining about it, almost on par with the Vista rollout.

Eat-popcorn

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Windows 8 and 8.1 are basically Windows 7 with a crappy desktop and a bunch of features useful for touchscreens, phones, and pads.

There is almost nothing there for the average desktop user.

While you can do as well with Linux, most people still aren't self-sufficient enough for that, they buy their software and expect their OS to be on the PC when they get it (sure you can get Linux pre-installed but products don't come that way at the store and most Linux people would rather install their choice of distribution.)

Part of the problem with Linux is one of it's greatest strengths: Too many confusing editions for the average person to understand and make a choice.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
... Everyone hates Windows now... Why did you do this to us Windows? Good ol days of win 2000 and xp are gone
Post Reply Post Reply
I just got a PC notebook with Windows 8.1 and I like it. I enjoy the touch screen as well. I have been using an iPad and smartphone with touchscreen so the touchscreen on my notebook is natural. I do make sure to have the desktop tile on my start screen so I can get to the desktop I am used to when needed. I am learning to use the search window in the charms menu to get around. Typing 'this computer' in the search window will get you to the windows screen showing the drives and folders for documents, photos, etc.

It is a little tedious if I am working on something on my desktop and want to check my email or one of the other apps in a tile on the start screen. I haven't found how to keep my email window open and minimized while going back and forth from start screen to desktop.

As for the apps from the store, I added the free FB app from the store into my tiles and discovered yesterday it is considered a mobile app. When my daughter was looking to video call me on FB, it showed me as being on mobile rather than web FB. I actually have to access FB on my browser to show up as available for video call. Also, I added dropbox from the store in my tiles. This version didn't make it accessible from my desktop as far as I could see. I had to leave desktop, go to tiles and open it from there. I couldn't find how to save anything into dropbox from desktop. When I went to dropbox website and downloaded the app, then it added the icon on my desktop that I could easily access as well as a shortcut on my desktop. There are little quirks like that to get used to.
Post Reply Post Reply
With Windows 8.1 Update 1, your running metro apps will now show in the taskbar. You can also pin metro apps to your taskbar. Here is a link that fully explains the new features.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askpfeplat/ar...ments.aspx
Post Reply Post Reply
habskilla, it's a shame your first post is an attempt to get around a forum limitation.

Links to commercial sites are not allowed and new members are not allowed to post links which is why you had to cheat. Fortunately, the link you provide does not go to a commercial site and will be allowed to remain.

In the future, simply point someone to a Google or DuckDuckGo search or direct them to the site without giving the actual link. Be creative!

Quote:Go to the TechNet blogs and do a search for "Exploring Windows 8.1 Update – Start Screen, Desktop and Other Enhancements" to find the article. It is dated 4/7, if that helps any.

See how easy that was?

Meanwhile, feel free to participate in the rest of the forum. We look forward to it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
For what its worth, I am an Apple Convert and love them. Actually people laugh when they come over for right now as always, I am sitting at a desk with 2 macbook pros on and both up on stands they dont get hot................and in front, right now, i am typing on this new Samsung laptop I got that had Win 8 on it...i hate Win 8 so I just put Win 7 on it

I am one of the ones that does not believe in paying for anything by MS so i just find what i want online----i did just get the new office although i am yet to install it but i dont ever remember Windows coming with Office installed.
Maybe if you bought a new computer it was packaged on it but generally windows never came with office on it....
Post Reply Post Reply
ShelaghDB.

Know what you mean. My main machine is a Mac 24" desktop and my laptop is Windoze machine. It was running 8.1 and I "upgraded" it to Win 7 Pro - runs a heck of a lot faster.

If you are looking for an Office alternative, try LibreOffice. They are open source and have versions for multiple platforms. And best of all - it is free. They do give you the option of making a donation if you like.

Homer

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.