Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Getting Message to Format My SD Disc
Getting Message to Format My SD Disc
Today when I put my SD card in my new computer (I downloaded Sleepyhead a few days ago and all was fine yesterday) I got the following Microsoft message:  "You need to format the Disc drive D: before you can use it.  Do you want to format it?"  My choice is Yes or Cancel, and I chose cancel.  Then a message says "The volume does not contain a recognized file system.  Please make sure all the required file system drivers are loaded and the volume is not corrupted."  This computer is a re-furbished older model, not brand new.  SH loaded OK and the first two days worked as usual with no messages.  Where do I go from here--I know nothing about formatting or how to know about system drivers, altho I can go to the computer tech who sold me the machine.

Another question--I got a new SD card about a month ago.  I guess when loading SH on this computer I should have loaded the old card first, then the new card to get a record of the whole year long process?  I haven't done any backups on SH.  I do have the old card.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Getting Message to Format My SD Disc
Sleepyhead creates its own backups, and you can always rebuild the data from backup without putting in any SD card. If the computer is unhappy with a SD card, you can always do a quick format on the card. Using File Explorer, you can right-click on the SD drive and select Format. That brings up a dialog box that you can confirm the partition is FAT32. Formatting erases all data on the card, but all data will be replaced on the card going back 1-year when you put it into the CPAP card slot with the power on. The CPAP actually creates all the needed directories and files. This process should end any errors.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the help, Sleeprider. It tried to format didn't work--got the message "Windows was unable to format." The Quick Format box had been checked. Tried this morning with the box unchecked and it is running but v.e.r.y. slowly. I see I left it on the default FAT--should I cancel this and click on FAT32? There's only about a month of data on the card.

NOTE: After running for about 3 hours it hasn't made much headway--only about 1/4 through. I'm going to shut it down and wait for an answer!
Post Reply Post Reply
SideSleeper,
FAT is acceptable. FAT32 allows for accessing larger memory, basically anything larger than 32Gb.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh-jeez I am totally frustrated!  I have never had trouble with SH since I first loaded it.  This thread pertains to my new-to-me laptop which refused to format my SD card.  The card is nearly new--about a month old.  It did load initially and produce daily reports for a day before the problem listed in first post started.  I cannot get the card to format.  Giving up today on it decided to wait until Monday and take the computer in to the shop where I bought it for help. Does anyone have any ideas on this?  When I first loaded SH there was an option to load the broken GL version.  I don't see that anymore.  Would that be an option?  HELP!

I have SH loaded on my PC and it was working.  All of a sudden it quit (see thread http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ings-wrong).
My last post there said it was working--but it didn't.  I gave up since I had it on the laptop.  Now neither one works!  The one on my PC gives the same dialog as I previously posted--I will go back and update that one, again asking for help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Talked to my computer tech today.  He said to purchase a new card.  Not much came up when I did a search on this forum--and I know there have been a lot of threads.  I have a new 8 gb SD card--not much choice in a small town.  I found one post that said to just load it into the CPAP machine and it would format --then try it in SH.  Will this size work?  I there anything else I should know or need to do?  Thanks for the help.

Linda
Post Reply Post Reply
An 8 GB card should work fine right out of the package. Put it in the machine, and the Philips machine will prepare the needed directory structure and write the files. If you preview the SD card in your computer, make sure there are no files or directories that the manufacturer installed. Usually it is clear. If you want to format, just right click on the drive that says E:\SD card or something similar, and select format. You can select FAT32 which is the default format, and OK. Formatting should not be necessary in most cases.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, Sleeprider. After a couple of false starts I started over--uninstalled the SH I had on the PC, reloaded it, put the new SD card in my CPAP, put it into my SD crd slot on the PC and nothing happened. Clicked on the "Safely Remove and Eject..." icon in the bottom tray and clicked on Devices. Found the "Mass Storage Device" had a yellow ! on it and I clicked on it to bring up Troubleshooting. It scanned and fixed driver problems and SH opened! It only goes back to 21 February 2017--I think that is when I got the new card that didn't work. It might be OK if I went through the same procedure--and maybe my first card would work also--is this the correct line of thinking? The first card has data from Sept 2015 to 21 February. Would I completely screw up things if I tried downloading these cards? I have kept a daily hard copy log since day 1 so have all my statistics--I watch trends when changing pressure, write down date of mask change, etc. I am past my year of compliance for Medicare and don't see my DME unless I have questions--just for supplies. I have my yearly appointment with my sleep doc in April who has to sign the forms for DMV for my drivers license for another year--or tell them all is good to go. I certainly appreciate the help you have given me and the continued support.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepyhead will only import new data from the card. You can try the older card and it should work. I'm surprised you machine did not write the older data to the new card.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
It surprised me also.  When I first loaded SH it went back for the month or so I had used the machine from day 1.  Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  thumbdrive-oximeter-format-analysis capman 6 192 03-15-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: capman
Question Spo2 data format Squid3083 11 2,188 03-11-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Rebakim4
  Getting message "Your Resmed CPAP machine has not been tested yet". It's AirSense 11. PurpleOx 32 4,283 03-07-2024, 03:49 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  csv-format for generic oximeter imports into oscar capman 2 156 03-07-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: capman
  CMI PL-66 OE data import format HiTechHiTouch 5 955 10-28-2023, 12:53 PM
Last Post: lzmontana
  Vibeat PC-68B data format? YouTakeMyBreathAway 1 666 05-12-2023, 07:35 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question MADE USER NAME CHANGE TO MY COMPUTER: NEED HELP WITH OSCAR ERROR MESSAGE Plmnb 8 901 04-08-2023, 10:17 AM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.