Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Getting New Aircurve 10 Bilevel today
Getting New Aircurve 10 Bilevel today
Looking for recommendation for settings on new Aircurve 10 VAUTO.   
I have been on CPAP since age 61 & now at 76.  Went from S9 & currently on Airsense 10 APAP for last 5+ years (15200 hrs). Been dealing with HBP more than 15 yrs & later weened off beta blocker through regular exercise. After retirement & reduced exercise due COV19, HBP not under control & on Calcium Channel blocker for over 1 yr now. Went to see Pulmonary doctor 7/13/22 suspecting HBP related to not getting proper CPAP therapy, follow by Home Sleep Study & prescription for Bilevel machine (Apria).  Fedex to delv today.

My thought is to set Bilevel to mimic old machine for few days under CPAP mode before trying to go to VAUTO mode.
My current settings on Airsense 10 APAP 7.0  - 11.2  EPR 1   P10  HUM 3  temp 85F heater hose with insulation. I have UAR & allergy, but not use Flonase because not effective after continued use;  use higher humidifier setting to compensate.

What is your recommendation?   Apria will follow Dr's prescription  at 4 -20  PS 4.

Attached Charts
Oscar 0     Data last 6 months   Note resp rate went up to 50 after 6/14/22.
Oscar 1     Last night 9/8 
Oscar 2     normal breathing flow rate @ 2300 hr
Oscar 3     abnormal breathing pattern @ 0330hr 

Thank you for all your previous help when I brought my issues to this forum in July 22.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Getting New Aircurve 10 Bilevel today
One more attachment..

Post Reply Post Reply
Received Aircurve 10 VAUTO. 

There are 3 modes (1) CPAP  (2) S mode (spontaneous)  (3) VAUTO

Decided to use VAUTO mode with following Setting:
MAX IPAP 15.0   MIN EPAP 6.0     PS  4.0
TI  MAX   2.0S   TI MIN 0.3S   Trigger    High   Cycle  Med
Mask   Pillow    RAMP time   Off    
Climate Contrl   Manual    Tube Temp    85F        Hum Level   3
AB Filter   No     Essentials   Plus    Leak Alert  Off    Smart Start   On

Question:    
1.  What is the "S" mode designed for?
2.  Is the PS  (Pressure Support)  VAUTO 's improved method of providing support vs Airsense 10's EPR setting ?   
3.  Finding the right Pressure Support.  Is it true that too high or too low PS  causes excess "CA" reading?

Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
slam7241's questions:    
1.  What is the "S" mode designed for?
This is a static pressure setting.  You set the IPAP and the EPAP pressure, and the difference is considered the PS value.  In the "S" mode, the AC10 will not report flow limitations.  If you want a static pressure and still get flow limitations reported, ⁣set the AC10 to VAuto, set the desired min EPAP pressure, then set the max IPAP, then set the PS to match the difference between these two values.

2.  Is the PS  (Pressure Support)  VAUTO 's improved method of providing support vs Airsense 10's EPR setting ?
I don't know which came first.  The PS setting is added to the EPAP pressure to determine the IPAP pressure.  The EPR value is subtracted from IPAP pressure on an AS10.  According to Resmed, the PS setting is for therapy and the EPR is for comfort. . . Go figure.  

3.  Finding the right Pressure Support.  Is it true that too high or too low PS causes excess "CA" reading?
Usually, too high a PS value can cause CO2 washout, causing CAs.  Too low, and your flow limitations will increase.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your help!

set the AC10 to VAuto, set the desired min EPAP pressure, then set the max IPAP, then set the PS to match the difference between these two values.

Do you mean my setting should be   : EPAP 6    IPAP 11    PS  4

rather than:     EPAP 6    IPAP 15     PS 4
Post Reply Post Reply
No. EPAP of 6 with the PS of 4 = an IPAP of 10 to make it a sudo "S" mode.  The setting you purposed would allow the EPAP to increase to 7 (7+4=11).

A setting of EPAP of 6, PS of 4 and an IPAP of 15 will give you a pressure range of 6/10 up to 11/15.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your zoomed inspiration wave is one we have seen from time to time, and bilevel pressure support may help to support inspiration.  What we see is a recorded respiration rate of 30 to 50 breaths per minute, but in reality, it is about 17-18 BPM.  This is a form of flow limitation or poor pulmonary tone. Each inspiration consists of at least two distinct peaks with an M shaped inhale. Inspiration starts, hesitates and drops momentarily to zero flow, then resumes before dropping into expiration.

I have some fairly complex settings I'd like to propose here if you're willing to really go pretty far-out of conventional treatment.  It almost looks like you should be using a ST machine. Can you describe any pulmonary or health conditions you are aware of before we begin?  A quick preview of what I will propose. You need enough pressure support to encourage a sustained inspiration and a minimum time of inspiration that will ensure you get at least 1.5 seconds of pressure support once inspiration begins. It will take some experimentation to get the proper sensitivity to trigger (inspiration) and cycle (expiration) to normalize your breathing.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=44465]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to Sleeprider * Crimson Nape for their replies yesterday!

Attached is my sleep data on my first night use on the Aircurve 10 VAUTO  (brand new machine zero hours use)

1.  Felt slightly easier breathing, improved comfort; still tired, dry eyes, dry mouth..
2.  No leak ...  have never seen leak rate this low before.
3.  Resp rate back to normal reading (3 breath cycles per 10 sec or 18 per minute)  Sleeprider was right.  Suspect my old machine not working properly.
4.  AHI mostly "CA"   (although lot of them were from period I was awake/semi awake.)

I like to change my setting :

from  EPPA 6   IPPA  12     to     EPPA 7  IPPA 14
Keep PS at  4
Keep Trigger  at HIGH
Keep Duration at Normal 

What do you guys think !
Sam

Post Reply Post Reply
Definitely increase the trigger rate. The increase in minimum EPAP pressure should be based on comfort and avoiding obstruction. Looks good to me to make the changes. Watch for that chin tuck in the morning.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
@Slam - two things to remember

1- Please update your user profile, which shows old machine.
2 - If you are certain (absolutely, positively certain) you were awake, then events recorded then can be disregarded since they are not part of SLEEP apnea.

Congratulations on persevering.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with new AirCurve 10 VAuto Settings aubreyjs 6 132 5 hours ago
Last Post: aubreyjs
  Does Aircurve 10 Vauto record events and flow limits during ramp mode? SingleH 3 39 6 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  New Bilevel user help with settings (oscar attached) opo218 6 133 04-15-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: opo218
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 2 111 04-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
Smile Alan's New ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Came Today! Deborah K. 20 1,001 04-14-2024, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Aircurve 10 Vauto ANTIKATE 5 163 04-14-2024, 12:53 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 17 700 04-14-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.