Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Getting OSCAR ready for a different PAP machine
Getting OSCAR ready for a different PAP machine
Soon I am going to get a new machine.  Yay!  

Is there anything special that needs to be done (in OSCAR) when changing machines?  Do I need a new profile?  Anything else?  How does one manage switching machines, say if one machine needed repair?  Or if for some bizarre reason I'm in the mood? Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Getting OSCAR ready for a different PAP machine
(10-21-2020, 02:47 PM)happydreams Wrote: Soon I am going to get a new machine.  Yay!  

Is there anything special that needs to be done (in OSCAR) when changing machines?  Do I need a new profile?  Anything else?  How does one manage switching machines, say if one machine needed repair?  Or if for some bizarre reason I'm in the mood? Too-funny

Hi happydreams,
It is suggested that you keep different machine's data in separate profiles.   You also need to have an SD card for each, as the Resmed machines put their serial# on the SD card.  Don't know about other brands.  When I was geetting a new A10 unit a few months ago, I requested an SD card, so the DME supplied one.
Good luck with the new machine!
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
Is it possible to copy the original profile and just edit the changes?  Or does one have to enter everything manually?
Post Reply Post Reply
It's not possible to copy a profile, as far as I know.
On the other hand, all it really needs is a unique profile name; I also fill in the time zone, although I haven't seen where it is used, then I just hit Next until it's finished.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not the end of the world.  Would have been nice to have transferred most of the stuff over though.  Typing stuff over is no fun, especially if the profile info can't be screen captured in a single window.  Even less fun is going through all the steps and writing everything down.

It would be nice to have this feature.  I'd imagine most PAP users need to change machines eventually.

Since I already used my name for the "Profile", I guess it's taken.  So any random name is ok?

If the profile name is, say, happydreams, can I create a new profile called happydreams-BPAP?  Or happydreams BPAP?  I might have to switch PAP machines, and it would be good to have the profile be quick to identify.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to combine data for 3 resmed machines. now I have 3 separate profiles since each machine has a separate sd card, named sheepless apap, sheepless asv and sheepless vauto. I've not experienced any particular advantages or disadvantages to combining vs separating data from multiple machines from the same manufacturer. you probably shouldn't with different mfgrs and you for sure don't want to use the same sd card in more than one machine. and while to my knowledge you can't change a profile name, you can delete the profile and create a new one without problem if you have the data on an sd card or if you rename your data folders before deleting the profile and point your new profile to those folders. I think I have that right but maybe a developer will correct me or otherwise explain it better.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2020, 06:08 PM)sheepless Wrote: . . .
and while to my knowledge you can't change a profile name, you can delete the profile and create a new one without problem if you have the data on an sd card or if you rename your data folders before deleting the profile and point your new profile to those folders. I think I have that right but maybe a developer will correct me or otherwise explain it better.

Hi sleepless.
There is no GUI means to rename a profile, but I asked this question back in march, and a manual procedure resulted.  See this thread, post #11:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ing?page=2

I successfully renamed my old S9 profile, in preparation for when I started to use a new Airsense 10.  DB was placing it in the wiki, but I couldn't find it.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
I have never had problems combining machines. My Oscar data includes data from three machines, PRS1 560, PRS1 760, and Aircurve 10 Vauto. My suggestion is that before importing the new machine, you simply make a copy of the existing backup in your Oscar_Data directory to another location so that you can restore the profile if you choose. Simply plug in the new SD card from the new machine and import your new data from the n_ew machine. Everything should work fine. If there are problems, you can always restore your old data and start a new profile.

My Oscar_Data folder has the following organization:
Oscar_Data
...Logs
...Profiles
......Additional profiles
......Sleeprider
.........PRS1_P068379528E85
............Backup
............Events
............Summaries
.........PRS1_P1112001178D1
............Backup
............Events
............Summaries
.........ResMed_23151981965
............Backup
............Events
............Summaries
...Logs
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-22-2020, 08:31 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I have never had problems combining machines. My Oscar data includes data from three machines, PRS1 560, PRS1 760, and Aircurve 10 Vauto.  My suggestion is that before importing the new machine, you simply make a copy of the existing backup in your Oscar_Data directory to another location so that you can restore the profile if you choose.  Simply plug in the new SD card from the new machine and import your new data from the n_ew machine.  Everything should work fine.  If there are problems, you can always restore your old data and start a new profile.  

My Oscar_Data folder has the following organization:
Oscar_Data
...Logs
...Profiles
......Additional profiles
......Sleeprider
.........PRS1_P068379528E85
............Backup
............Events
............Summaries
.........PRS1_P1112001178D1
............Backup
............Events
............Summaries
.........ResMed_23151981965
............Backup
............Events
............Summaries
...Logs
For those of us that can be challenged at times, can I just copy my existing OSCAR_Data directory to a different place with the name OSCAR_Data_backup?  

In the menu File there is an item called Backup Journal, what does that do?
Post Reply Post Reply
I think that is simply to backup any notes or journal entries you have made. This was added to Oscar when users complained that earlier versions lost journal entries. It has nothing to do with the backup in the Oscar_Data files. All you need to do is to copy the backup from all profiles you want to be able to restore, and they can be imported to a new profile in Oscar very quickly. My Resmed backup alone is over 15 GB, so the size of that database does slow down the startup of Oscar. It's not a bad idea to start fresh from time to time, and I often wonder why I keep data that is over five years old.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intermittent use of C-PAP machine and OSCAR monitoring Thanassis 6 240 02-27-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: Thanassis
  OSCAR has never seen my machine's data before! PappaJoe 9 510 02-14-2024, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Different AHI reported by Oscar and my machine Pixel Ninja 9 1,384 06-11-2023, 07:37 PM
Last Post: GuyScharf
  Setup of New Machine in OSCAR Melman 1 521 10-19-2022, 05:32 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Not able to open Oscar on a Window 10 machine John70 2 607 06-19-2022, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  OSCAR: Couldn't Find Valid Machine Data Kyriosjon 11 1,340 05-24-2022, 10:34 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Changing cpap machine settings in Oscar Sofie 5 2,036 03-26-2022, 11:24 PM
Last Post: GuyScharf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.