Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Getting a machine advice
Getting a machine advice
I was told I should be hearing from my local DME supplier for a machine soon. 

I want to make sure I get a good one.  I have been reading up on it, I just want to get some advice on how to talk to these people in order to ensure that I get a decent machine.  I read through the list of machines so I am good there.

Do I ask what machine I will be getting when they call to make the appointment? 

Just looking for some advice.  If there is already a post regarding this let me know and I will read through it.

Thanks,
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Getting a machine advice
Ask them to confirm that you are getting a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet with ResMed and AutoSet being the keywords. When can I expect my ResMed AutoSet?
At this point in time you have the leverage. If they say they can't just thank them for the info and tell them you will find someone who will.

DO NOT ACCEPT any other machine. And learn how to check the run hours on the machine. Many DMEs have provided New to You (Used) machines as new in the past.
Post Reply Post Reply
The preferred machine is a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. Most here feel the Resmed has a better algorithm for treating flow limitations.

Airsense 10 Autoset - Model 37208 - Will have Autoset on the front. This machine can run as a straight CPAP or as an APAP. Don’t let the DME push a straight CPAP or Resmed Elite on you.

In any case, DO NOT get a Resmed Airsense CPAP (CPAP name on the front) as you will not get any data out of it.

You can google Resmed models to see the different features.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2020, 10:11 AM)70sSanO Wrote: The preferred machine is a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset.  Most here feel the Resmed has a better algorithm for treating flow limitations.
It's not the algorithm, it's the EPR implementation that actually manages the flow limitations.
We like the algorithm for its aggressiveness and because it specifically responds to flow limitations where PR responds to Snores.
Post Reply Post Reply
dolppl,
The DME will fill the prescription as written by your doctor, so you need to know what that script says.

Ask your doctor for a copy and be sure it says ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet, no substitutions, mask of choice.
Also, ask your DME for a SD card.  

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_choices
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What the others have already stated.

I'm no Sleep Apnea expert by any means, but I do have the best machine to treat it.  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
My reply would be a repeat of the others, but, I think it might be more interesting to see why we recommend the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. Here is a link to a thread where a member was treating his son with a Philips Dreamstation and not doing well, but as soon as he was switched to a Resmed the problem resolved to less than 1-AHI http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...needs-help

Another new member arrived the other day and told us he had ordered a Philips Dreamstation Auto, then asked what we though of his choice. He turned that delivery around and has a Resmed on the way. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...nce-Needed
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
To add to Sleeprider's comments .....

When I was first diagnosed, I was given a phillips machine for 3 months.the machine woke me up numerous times throughout the night with it's pressure pulsed.  It sounded like the ventilators you hear on tv shows.  And note, firemen could walk through my bedroom putting out a fire and I would sleep through it.   I also had to raise my pressure setting to maintain a good AHI.   

I then purchased my ResMed "for her"  .... it doesn't use pressure pulses, so no waking me up and the settings were dropped back for an even better AHI.

2 1/2 years later, I am still very happy with my machine and readily recommend it to everyone.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I appreciate all the responses.  So thank you. 

I am 100% on board that a good machine is important and that was the reason for the post.  I plan to try to get a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset with SD card and make sure that it is brand new.

What I really need to know is HOW I go about ensuring that I get that machine.  Most of the responses revolve around making sure I get a good machine.  Again, I got it.

So far the responses I have for how to get a good machine were:

1.  Ask them to confirm that you are getting a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet with ResMed and AutoSet being the keywords.
     When can I expect my ResMed AutoSet?
     At this point in time you have the leverage. If they say they can't just thank them for the info and tell them you will find someone who will.

2.   The DME will fill the prescription as written by your doctor, so you need to know what that script says.

Ask your doctor for a copy and be sure it says ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet, no substitutions, mask of choice.

I know to some of you this may be trivial, but I am non-confrontational to start and somewhat meek so this is more difficult for me.

The other issue is I made the first appointment to get back on a machine on December 1st.  Every step (Drs. appointment, sleep study, at home titration study, in lab titration study, etc.) has been taking forever so I don't want to waste a lot of unnecessary time getting the right machine.  Go in to get a machine, the want to give me a brick, I say no thank you and make an appointment somewhere else, etc.  I just want to get on a machine and not being so tired all the time.

2.   The DME will fill the prescription as written by your doctor, so you need to know what that script says.

I will call my doctors office to see if I can get a copy of the script.  If it doesn't say ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet, no substitutions, mask of choice, then what?  The way you guys talk it is like you have your doctors personal phone number and can get them to write a 'script for whatever you want.  Do I just call the doctors office and ask the receptionist to have to doctor change the script.  Is the doctor going to talk to me over the phone.  I don't want to make another appointment just to talk to the doctor.  I feel like there is a 2% chance of this actually working.

Secondary question, If I purchase a machine online are we in the same boat that the script has to be for a specific machine or style of machine?

Sorry if I am being difficult, I just want to do the right thing and this whole process has been ridiculously frustrating.

Thank you again.
Post Reply Post Reply
The best approach is to simply call your supplier, express your preference and verify if you need to do anything else. Many suppliers have no problem with providing the machine of your choice, while others only offer one brand or another and will not be able to meet your needs. Generally, this phone call is all you need. When my wife was prescribed a new CPAP I called the DME and requested the Resmed. We received notice of an appointment to drop off the machine at our home and instruct in its use. I asked what machine was coming and after some scuffling around in the background, they told me it was a Philips Respironics System One Auto CPAP. I immediately declined the machine and told them not to bring it, repeating my previous request for the Resmed. They "happened" to find one and that was what got delivered. The moral of the story is to communicate and don't assume they heard you the first time. Most suppliers will meet your needs, just be firm in your resolve to decline anything that does not conform to that request.

You didn't mention in your first post whether you had a titration sleep study to determine your pressure. If not, then you are probably being prescribed auto CPAP for self-titration. With or without a sleep study you have a prescription. HIPAA gives you the right to have a copy of your records including any sleep studies, and prescriptions. You need to request a copy so you know what has been prescribed. Without those records, you can't even know if the settings are correct from your DME. Sometimes a prescription will specify the make an model of CPAP machine, most don't. You can ask that your choice be added to the prescription so that the prescription will be filled as written.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 45 1,855 2 hours ago
Last Post: Uzupan
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 306 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 182 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 876 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 145 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 79 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 809 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.