Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Travel Cpap machine?
RE: Travel Cpap machine?
(02-18-2018, 09:08 PM)Madcat207 Wrote:
(02-18-2018, 10:56 AM)Solar Rays Wrote: I didnt know that I could carry CPap machine in addition to carryon.  Thank you.

To avoid hassle, just make sure you get a medical device luggage tag (amazon, ebay, DME stores, etc) so that no one questions what the bag is for. They shouldn't run from 5-10 bucks, and clearly call out medial or CPAP equipment inside.

Everytime I travelled in the USA with my CPAP machine, no TSA agent asked what the bag was for. They recognise Resmed bags right away.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have traveled with my PAP machine to the UK, NZ and Perth (Australia) in the last year. All the trips were a minimum of two weeks in length, I spent a month in NZ. I just carry my machine, in it's case or in my travel backpack, on board. I go through security screenings and they don't ask about the machine as they know what it is. I brought my machine, minus humidifier, into the UK in my back pack as I had used it on the flight from Australia. No questions asked by UK Customs.

If you want to save a little bit of weight and space, remove the humidifier and put it into your checked luggage. The size and weight of a Resmed or Respironics without humidifier is not much bigger than the travel machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2018, 10:38 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: If your flying as long as your CPAP machine is in its own bag with nothing else it can be carried without impact on your carry on luggage as most airlines allow medical devices without deducting from the carryon allowance.

THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO ALL AIRLINES...

Check with the airline to confirm ( we are flying soon, Qantas domestic count the weight of the CPAP in the allowance for carry on.. our return flight is with Virgin, they allow your carry on weight plus the CPAP weight on top of that with no penalty )

Do not put your CPAP in check in luggage.
If customs or security ask, or start to open your CPAP bag to check the contents inside, request that they put on disposable latex gloves first, simply explain that it is a medical device that you breathe through and you don't want to risk accidental infections.

Most customs and security staff are already aware of what CPAP machines are, and how to handle inspections of them without risking damage or infection.
The majority of airlines are also very helpful when you explain that you will be flying with a CPAP machine, some will even arrange seating for you that has a power outlet if you are on a long haul flight and need to sleep on the plane. 

I have made myself a battery pack to power my CPAP on my motorcycle camping trips, the Dreamstation runs on 12 volt input and can also have the humidifier removed to halve the size of the overall machine ( and I can comfortably sleep without humidification )
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2018, 02:20 AM)tedgreen Wrote:
(02-18-2018, 09:08 PM)Madcat207 Wrote:
(02-18-2018, 10:56 AM)Solar Rays Wrote: I didnt know that I could carry CPap machine in addition to carryon.  Thank you.

To avoid hassle, just make sure you get a medical device luggage tag (amazon, ebay, DME stores, etc) so that no one questions what the bag is for. They shouldn't run from 5-10 bucks, and clearly call out medial or CPAP equipment inside.

Everytime I travelled in the USA with my CPAP machine, no TSA agent asked what the bag was for. They recognise Resmed bags right away.
For sure, but no harm in making sure that one time you get a new TSA agent / flight attendant it doesn't ruin your travel plans (or health). Wink

(02-19-2018, 04:48 AM)holden4th Wrote: I have traveled with my PAP machine to the UK, NZ and Perth (Australia) in the last year. All the trips were a minimum of two weeks in length, I spent a month in NZ. I just carry my machine, in it's case or in my travel backpack, on board. I go through security screenings and they don't ask about the machine as they know what it is. I brought my machine, minus humidifier, into the UK in my back pack as I had used it on the flight from Australia. No questions asked by UK Customs.

If you want to save a little bit of weight and space, remove the humidifier and put it into your checked luggage. The size and weight of a Resmed or Respironics without humidifier is not much bigger than the travel machines.

At least for a Resmed Air10 series (at least based on mine), i would recommend against this.  On a Resp Dreamstation, the humidifier can be completely removed from the "chain", and you can plug your hose right into the back with no issue.  On the Air10 series, even an empty water chamber is required to complete the airflow passage; a lost bag/humidifier could still render the whole machine worthless (especially if you are out of range of amazon prime, etc..)
Post Reply Post Reply
You can get a side plate for the Airsense 10 that covers the gap instead of the humidifier. Costs around $20.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2018, 05:19 AM)Ockrocket Wrote:
(02-18-2018, 10:38 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: If your flying as long as your CPAP machine is in its own bag with nothing else it can be carried without impact on your carry on luggage as most airlines allow medical devices without deducting from the carryon allowance.

THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO ALL AIRLINES...

Check with the airline to confirm ( we are flying soon, Qantas domestic count the weight of the CPAP in the allowance for carry on.. our return flight is with Virgin, they allow your carry on weight plus the CPAP weight on top of that with no penalty )

Do not put your CPAP in check in luggage.
If customs or security ask, or start to open your CPAP bag to check the contents inside, request that they put on disposable latex gloves first, simply explain that it is a medical device that you breathe through and you don't want to risk accidental infections.

Most customs and security staff are already aware of what CPAP machines are, and how to handle inspections of them without risking damage or infection.
The majority of airlines are also very helpful when you explain that you will be flying with a CPAP machine, some will even arrange seating for you that has a power outlet if you are on a long haul flight and need to sleep on the plane. 

I have made myself a battery pack to power my CPAP on my motorcycle camping trips, the Dreamstation runs on 12 volt input and can also have the humidifier removed to halve the size of the overall machine ( and I can comfortably sleep without humidification )

I am a Qantas frequent flyer. When I first carried my CPAP on a flight I checked with them and asked if it would be part of the weight allowance. Simply by registering that I was carrying my machine, a vital piece of medical equipment, they waived the extra weight of the machine, even though it was in my backpack. They did suggest that I carry it separately to totally avoid any issues. Qantas are just as good as other airlines with medical equipment and will also allow you to use your machine from a powered socket in flight. All they want is advance notice. Not all airlines will do this.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2018, 10:01 PM)Madcat207 Wrote: At least for a Resmed Air10 series (at least based on mine), i would recommend against this.  On a Resp Dreamstation, the humidifier can be completely removed from the "chain", and you can plug your hose right into the back with no issue.  On the Air10 series, even an empty water chamber is required to complete the airflow passage; a lost bag/humidifier could still render the whole machine worthless (especially if you are out of range of amazon prime, etc..)

Not correct, the Resmed Airsense 10 models can be used without a humidifier, and I am actually using mine without one now, at home and away.

I just don't need the extra moisture, I don't live in a dry area.

Also, if you don't carry around the humidifier, then you can use its place in the Resmed bag to carry a mask etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
Only if you have the right side optional plate on it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Travel ResMed recommendations PinehillJoe 11 248 04-19-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,830 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Is there a quiet travel CPAP? mcman56 1 105 04-15-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 243 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 5 1,941 04-02-2024, 11:44 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Using CPAP machine to perform Sleep test ivan007 3 169 04-02-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 203 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.