Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Getting a new cpap
Getting a new cpap
(I should have said getting my 1st cpap)
What is the best machine to get? My medical equipment company just called and said they are bring me a new Dreamstation..

Should I take this one? If so, any features I have to make sure I get? (or is the machine pretty standard?)

I've heard good things about the S10 Airsense... Should I try and get this one instead??

Thanks for your help
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Getting a new cpap
you want to get them to give you the auto version. All the machines come in "brick cpap", "data-capable-cpap". and "data capable autopap" that last is the one you want; brand... phillips (dreamstation) is fine, so is resmed. Other brands are less common.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Read the Useful Links in my signature line at the bottom of this post.

It's very important you DON'T let them give you a "brick" CPAP machine that gives you limited data. The good CPAP machines are like having a mini-sleep test every night. If you have problems with CPAP, a fully data capable machine may allow you or your doctor to fix your problems without another sleep test.

I'd ask for the AirSense 10, and be sure it's either the Elite or AutoSet model. There's a simple "AirSense 10 CPAP" model that records very limited treatment information.

Note: Many DME's will lie to you and tell you the "bad" models record data. The "good" ones record a LOT more data and are MUCH more useful for monitoring your treatment. Even the honest DME's are often too stupid to know the difference.

The DreamStation is probably OK, as long as you get the "Pro" or "Auto" model. However, the program that you can get to read the data for the ResMed machines is enormously better than the program available for DreamStation.

Edit - Ask them which model of DreamStation they're giving you if you decide to go that way. When they bring it, check it to see if it's the right model. If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go check for yourself.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2015, 03:50 PM)haugs32 Wrote: (I should have said getting my 1st cpap)
What is the best machine to get? My medical equipment company just called and said they are bring me a new Dreamstation..

Should I take this one? If so, any features I have to make sure I get? (or is the machine pretty standard?)

I've heard good things about the S10 Airsense... Should I try and get this one instead??

Thanks for your help

I got the dreamstation and love it. Just make sure it's the "Pro" model. This is an auto model with full data recording.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi haugs32,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you as you start your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2015, 05:21 PM)archangle Wrote: Read the Useful Links in my signature line at the bottom of this post.

It's very important you DON'T let them give you a "brick" CPAP machine that gives you limited data. The good CPAP machines are like having a mini-sleep test every night. If you have problems with CPAP, a fully data capable machine may allow you or your doctor to fix your problems without another sleep test.

I'd ask for the AirSense 10, and be sure it's either the Elite or AutoSet model. There's a simple "AirSense 10 CPAP" model that records very limited treatment information.

Note: Many DME's will lie to you and tell you the "bad" models record data. The "good" ones record a LOT more data and are MUCH more useful for monitoring your treatment. Even the honest DME's are often too stupid to know the difference.

The DreamStation is probably OK, as long as you get the "Pro" or "Auto" model. However, the program that you can get to read the data for the ResMed machines is enormously better than the program available for DreamStation.

Edit - Ask them which model of DreamStation they're giving you if you decide to go that way. When they bring it, check it to see if it's the right model. If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go check for yourself.

The comments about DMEs is spot on. There is a bunch of research available through this site and so many of the members it can be a bit overwhelming. Just know that an informed patient is a happy patient.
Post Reply Post Reply
I called and they said is it the "top of the line" New dreamstation, Auto, humidifier. I was curious, because I had requested the Airsense 10 auto. As I had read it is one of the best on the market. the DME guy said my DR requested the dreamstation. Does that sound accurate?
Post Reply Post Reply
haugs32, the DreamStation Auto is the brand new auto-titrating CPAP from Philips Respiroinics and replaces the System One 60-Series Auto. It is a full data machine and has many nice new features that should increase comfort and ease of use. The only drawback is that Sleepyhead code has not yet caught up to that machine, so accessing the useful data is a bit challenging.

If you want to know whether your doctor specified the dreamstation, just ask for a copy of the prescription. You should have it anyway. If it's not on the script, it never happened. If he did specify the dreamstation, it's just an indication that he is more familiar with that equipment and has a preference that you use that under his care. Nothing too unusual.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.