Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Unable to breath feeling
RE: Unable to breath feeling
If you have not got the manual get it and adjust it from 4 to something like 8 at a guess for low pressure, 4 is just to low for almost everyone!
As suggested, get SleepyHead and follow the guides here how to use it and post your data.
There is only a few settings you can get into, but if you know how you can get into the rest.

Reading your posts if I am right, it is like this.

Low pressure is set at 4 ?
EPR is turned on s it drops in pressure when you breathe out?

I think someone is being lazy and not doing their job properly!   Rolleyes
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2018, 03:13 PM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: If you have not got the manual get it and adjust it from 4 to something like 8 at a guess for low pressure, 4 is just to low for almost everyone!
As suggested, get SleepyHead and follow the guides here how to use it and post your data.
There is only a few settings you can get into, but if you know how you can get into the rest.

Reading your posts if I am right, it is like this.

Low pressure is set at 4 ?
EPR is turned on s it drops in pressure when you breathe out?

I think someone is being lazy and not doing their job properly!   Rolleyes

You are correct on the settings.  I did not get a manual.  I will do as you suggest.  I also agree...on the lazy comment. 

I have a followup appt in 7 weeks.
Post Reply Post Reply
More for Rusty:

I doubt that this setting is super-important, but you might as well get it kosher in case it does make a difference to the pressures that you experience. The Philips machines have a "mask type" setting that is specified as off (zero) or X1 through, I think, X5, representing an air-resistance index. With a Philips mask, which you have, the correct X number is given on the package, which is another reason to get that whole shmeer from your DME.

Also, about the followup appointment, I hope when they gave you the machine they told you about what your compliance requirements are, if any. Some insurance providers have no such requirements, but others require you to use the machine for at least 4 hours/night at least 70% of nights for 30 consecutive days. Medicaid is a bizarrely extreme example, with the compliance period lasting for ten months. If you have difficulty meeting the compliance requirements at first, try going to bed early with a book (or watching the tube if that's your thing and if it doesn't keep you awake), switching the machine on, putting the mask on, and breathing through it while awake for some number of hours. And again, if the machine's settings are so wrong that it's painful to do that, then change the settings. This isn't supposed to be a torture test, and if your doc and/or DME have made it that for you then they're idiots.
Post Reply Post Reply
Make sure your Nasal Pillows are not to small, it is a common mistake.
Start with the largest and use the biggest ones that fit. They should not go well into the nostrils, just the tips on the nasal pillows and the the rest of the pillows should sit on the nostril. Just an after thought.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
One way to make sure you meet with compliance is to put it on as soon as you are ready to go to sleep and keep it on until you get up, I know for some that is not easy, especially at the start of treatment, but you just have to get into the mind set to do just that.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2018, 04:15 PM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: One way to make sure you meet with compliance is to put it on as soon as you are ready to go to sleep and keep it on until you get up, I know for some that is not easy, especially at the start of treatment, but you just have to get into the mind set to do just that.

Adding to S2S's helpful information: using it while relaxing with a book (or TV) or even napping helps with acclimation -- and counts toward compliance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

All the above are excellent pointers and although they sound as if they're basic in concept, they will result in success. Even if that success is a bit delayed, it will show up with a certainty. You will have to work to gain some of that success, but it's going to be very well worth the effort.

One thing I'll add, find out what your script details are, even going so far as getting a hard copy. The script has important info and that script can be very enlightening in how you CPAP needs set-up. At the very least, it's a starting point for your settings.

Best to a successful fight with this whole situation. If in need of any suggestions, post it and we'll do what we can.

lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Rusty, can you please take a look at your data, even if it is just the on-screen therapy information, and give us a breakdown of your current AHI? Many people that complain of this suffocation feeling, have central apnea (CA). We really need to see something more useful than what DreamMapper is telling you. Your machine can provide 1-day, 7-day and 30 day therapy summaries with information on AHI, apnea type and pressures.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 813 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 256 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,857 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 325 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 304 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 444 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 806 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.