Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Getting access to your prescription (Rx)
Getting access to your prescription (Rx)
After reading the other post on making sure you had a backup power, I realized that I would need a new hose since I would not be using the humidifier during power outages. I also decided that I should get a new mask since it's been a year and I do not want the mask to tear/break/become unusable during a weekend evening without a backup. Sadly, the mask needs a prescription. Not sure why you need a prescription to get a mask, but that would be a different topic. I went online to find the mask costs, and then called the doctor's office and requested my prescription be sent to me! They wanted to know why and I told them. The doctor refuses to provide me with a prescription since he only wants me to use the DME because of "quality issues" at unknown sites. WHen I pushed they resorted to the fact that I didn't come in for the 3 month check up (over 6 months late now, since I don't need to). I know the CPAP is working, the data shows me the CPAP is working but without spending time and $$$ for an office visit, no prescription. So the doctor's visit is now scheduled.

1) How hard is it to get a prescription to buy things on-line?

2) Other than the actual CPAP machine, why would anything else need a prescription?

Your thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Getting access to your prescription (Rx)
The doctor can't force you to get equipment from any particular DME. If it were me, I would give him a stern talking to, advise him of my rights, demand a copy of the original Rx and then start looking for a new doctor. The easiest way though would probably be to call up and talk to the on-line supplier you intend to buy a mask from. They can usually take down some info and then get the Rx directly from your doctor - many on-line suppliers provide this service and the ones who don't can probably help you out with what you should say to your doctor to let him know that you know what he is doing is illegal. It's not like you are asking for a new scrip - just a copy of the old one, and it IS yours!
Post Reply Post Reply
BTW, you don't have to get a new hose - just turn the hose and/or humidifier off in the settings and they won't draw any power. You can still put water in the tank and use as a cold pass over humidifier if you'd like...better than nothing.
Post Reply Post Reply
You have a couple of other options. First, you can ask your PCP or dentist for a prescription, but you may need to tell them what to write on it. Second, you can purchase a "mask assembly kit" without a prescription from some online suppliers. Order the headgear as a separate item on the order to get a complete mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
The doctor can't write a prescription for you without a recent office visit. That's just the way it is. He does have to give you a copy of your original prescription although I don't know how long the DME will honor it. The DME told me I could get replacement items (filters, mask, hose, etc.) through their auto-ship program at set intervals and didn't say anything about getting a new prescription.

BTW, I asked for a copy of my prescription and the office staff said there wasn't an actual prescription. They just send the info somehow and were very vague. I got a copy of the actual prescription from the DME when I went to pick up the machine. Weird.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can also contact the original supplier. Tell them you need the prescription for your personal files. They have to have it in their files, don't let them tell you otherwise. They have to send it to you. You don't have to tell them what you want it for. You do need it for your own records. Online suppliers accept copies. Some even accept scanned copies.

But calling the DME is how I got mine. Just said I needed it for my records. Got it in an email a few hours later.

After that, find another sleep doc, one that cares about you the patient. You were wanting a freakin' mask, not looking for an online heart surgeon.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 124 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  Do Doctors Even Have Access to Flow Limits Info? paulag1955 16 698 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  Prescription settings AfibApnea 12 795 11-21-2023, 09:08 PM
Last Post: AfibApnea
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 985 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  Buying ASV online without a prescription books456 19 1,986 05-31-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
  Luna G3: Key sequence to access clinician (technician) menu? shu246 3 1,753 04-30-2023, 06:31 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Newbie with prescription and brand new machine from relative Bruce61 1 461 02-18-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.