Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Getting hotel smells out of CPAP
RE: Getting hotel smells out of CPAP
Quote:Anyone have any idea on how to prevent this from happening again?

The only idea I have is to have a backup mask that I take traveling then use the un-stinkified one when I get back.

I have a PR750 that is just for traveling (hotels ,Packing in on horseBanana or a dreaded hospital stays Oh-jeez. )so that I don't have to worry if something happens to it along with hose and mask . Then when I get home I strip the machine completely down and soak everything in Control 3 sanitizer , throwing the fine filter and the foam one in the can . and the best part is my PR760 was safe and smell free on my night stand waiting for me . Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
There's always been a weird odor from my PR 650, the one that's failing. I think I'll take it apart just to look at the innards. Any tricks to getting it apart?

When I bought the used S9 VPAP Auto a few weeks ago on CL it put out a faint smokey kind of smell. Almost like cigarette smoke but I can't be sure. It was very faint and faded away after about a week. It had a barely audible whistle on exhale and that too has faded away.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote: I think I'll take it apart just to look at the innards. Any tricks to getting it apart?

Any one doing this is Doing It At Their Own Risk! Agreed

Sure. You need a#10 , #15 torx and a small phillips screw drivers.
1 Start with removing the humidifier water tank. 2 unplug the power cord from the machine. 3 remove the humidifier from the blower unit. Lift the on / off knob straight up by with your fingers. 4 turn the blower unit over and remove the two #15 torx screws near the front. 5 turn the blower back over and the top will lift off with a little wiggling , set it off to the side. 6 remove the #15 torx screw in the back right corner on the circuit board (only on the 60 series ) . 7 lift the side cover off beside the wiring plugs then remove the wiring plugs for the humidifier and blower motor along the left side of the board. 8 lift the circuit board up and as you do watch for the pressure sensor seal that's on the backside of the board that it doesn't fall off unseen and end up under your workbench never to be seen again (it usually stays on the sensor tube but sometimes will lift off with the board) . 9 remove the #10 torx screws on the clear blower assembly but don't lift the cover off yet. 10 lift the clear cover just a little and you will see were the wires that are coming through the cover are, carefully push the silicone grommet with the wires in it into the cover, then lift the cover up and slip the wiring connectors out the hole. 11 lift the side cover on the right side that has the sensor tube in it off ( will come off in one piece) . 12 lift the blower motor assembly straight up . 13 to remove the lower clear blower assembly you lift as you carefully push in the little side tabs that hold it in and lift out. 14 remove the foam pad and the Silicon air inlet. 15 remove the 5 philips screw on the motor and remove cover. That's it. Thumbs-up-2
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2014, 10:44 PM)Sleepster Wrote: There's always been a weird odor from my PR 650, the one that's failing. I think I'll take it apart just to look at the innards. Any tricks to getting it apart?

there's a service manual link in the members only files area
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. Your instructions and the service manual are both great. Every surface of the air path, and lots of other surfaces too like the bottom of the see-through display cover, seemed covered in a fine dust embedded in a slightly greasy substance.

When I look at the blower I see dust on the impeller blades, but I see no way to remove the impeller. On the other side of the blower is a metal plate with three philips screws holding it in place. I've removed the screws but can't seem to get the plate off or the blower apart so I can clean the impeller. Any ideas?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
got me there, sorry. I haven't taken a prs1 apart... yet.
Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-09-2014, 11:07 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Thanks. Your instructions and the service manual are both great. Every surface of the air path, and lots of other surfaces too like the bottom of the see-through display cover, seemed covered in a fine dust embedded in a slightly greasy substance.

Yuck! Now I'm going to have that thought in the back of my mind.

(07-09-2014, 11:07 PM)Sleepster Wrote: When I look at the blower I see dust on the impeller blades, but I see no way to remove the impeller. On the other side of the blower is a metal plate with three philips screws holding it in place. I've removed the screws but can't seem to get the plate off or the blower apart so I can clean the impeller. Any ideas?

Can you blow into it with compressed air, perhaps? Be careful of the "canned air" blower things. Our nannystate government has mandated "bitterants" be added to all the canned air things to prevent someone snorting it, and it leaves nasty tasting and smelling goo on things.

There are some electronic cleaning fluids that can be used on lots of stuff. I've used electrowash PX cleaner on lots of stuff. It's made of stuff that evaporates completely, and is safe for electronics. I'd be hesitant to use it on the blower like this unless I was pretty desperate, though. There's some chance it would harm some plastic, and it might wash grease or oil out of the bearings.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I went to Trinidad last November for my sons wedding, my cpap smelled like the island for a week after I got home.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2014, 02:29 AM)archangle Wrote: Yuck! Now I'm going to have that thought in the back of my mind

Sorry for that. The dust is so fine and the layer so thin that I can't get an accumulation of it. When I wipe it off it seems to disappear. My guess is that somehow the lubricant used on the blower impeller got distributed throughout and then when the machine was used fine dust got trapped by it and turned rancid.

My other PRS1 and my S9 don't smell that way at all.

Quote:Can you blow into it with compressed air, perhaps?

Yes, I did that first. I was surprised to not see a cloud emerge.

I guess I'll have to clean each blade with a small brush, but I won't be able to reach the inner surface of the blower to clean it.

Quote:There are some electronic cleaning fluids that can be used on lots of stuff. I've used electrowash PX cleaner on lots of stuff. It's made of stuff that evaporates completely, and is safe for electronics. I'd be hesitant to use it on the blower like this unless I was pretty desperate, though. There's some chance it would harm some plastic, and it might wash grease or oil out of the bearings.

Yeah, I'm not that desperate!
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
even if you can't clean the impeller, cleaning the rest of the machine should help quite a bit.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  QAL finally got an AirSense 10, completely new but smells like bubblegum. quiescence at last 0 440 04-23-2023, 06:42 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  horrible hotel smell persists ktopaz 4 890 12-20-2021, 11:52 AM
Last Post: ktopaz
  Anyone have new cushions with strong smells? happydreams 7 2,404 12-15-2021, 03:17 AM
Last Post: onlyconnect
  [Equipment] Aloha Nasal Pillow Smells Like Dead Animal sammiller 3 1,098 12-20-2019, 11:27 PM
Last Post: sammiller
  Mouth dry staying at hotel; is it me or my environment? willo 2 2,038 12-21-2018, 02:26 AM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Angry Just arrived at hotel. 1 week old philips dream station go machine dead! qwawawawa 12 3,775 05-04-2018, 07:36 AM
Last Post: ardenum
  Machine Smells Like Burning Plastic Nirvana 18 21,880 11-22-2017, 07:26 PM
Last Post: drowl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.