Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tips for Mouth-breathers? I'm having some issues.
Tips for Mouth-breathers? I'm having some issues.
My numbers have been good recently, usually between 3 and 4 AHI. But the only way I can keep them down is wrapping a scarf around my head. I've tried tape, tried a mouthguard, tried a headstrap, none worked. This stiff fabric scarf is working to keep my mouth shut, but it's locking my jaw so tight that this morning I woke up with a sore jaw and teeth (the sore jaw isn't uncommon, the teeth clench is new). 

Any tips for keeping my mouth shut naturally, or better alternatives that will keep my jaw from slacking but not put so much pressure on my jaw and teeth?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tips for Mouth-breathers? I'm having some issues.
Read the Mask Primer.  The traditional solution to mouth breathing is a Full Face Mask, another traditional is a Chin Strap.  Many find a loose fitting soft cervical collar works for them.  

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Many members have had good success using a soft cervical collar. The collar supports the back of the jaw and works to lightly push the jaw up and forward. This tends to help prevent obstructive events, and has worked for some to reduce or eliminate leaks. Of course if you need a full face mask, there is no shame in going that route. The mask primer written by Bonjour is a very good resource.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used one of those slightly stretchy bandages for a while, the ones used for sprains (do you get them over there?) just a couple of wraps round the chin and over the head, then a rough stitch to sort of hold it together just enough to stop it coming apart.
This worked well, could even put some smooth material inside to stop it marking your face if you worry about it.
I used this for about six weeks or I got another chin strap, it worked better than the chin strap and as it had a bit of stretch you could open your mouth if you had to, providing you didn't make it to tight at the start.  This might not work with all masks, but it got me through a spell where I had nothing.
It worked very well and the tension can be adjusted by opening your mouth and closing it (if you didn't make it to tight that is).

I stitched it together just so I could put it on the next night without having to wrap it round my head and fix it, I am lazy that way, I just slipped it on again.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
After I figured out how to make it work (in the last couple of days), I've had good luck with the cervical collar. Not to rest my chin on, but to nudge my lower mandible forward near the jaw joint. I have to use a cheap Walmart pillow with no substance at all to go under my head, so the  back of the cervical collar isn't too bulky against the back of my neck.

I've had TMJ since the beginning of time. I can't use anything that will clamp my jaw, or the face and neck pain will be excruciating: no chin straps for me, and potentially no FFM.

I tried 2 different rolls to place under my chin. One was a hospital sock stuffed with socks: alternately useless or painful. The other was a towel rolled up. It did keep my chin at a promising angle, but in the night the blower stopped. I'm thinking the towel got up near my face and impeded the air flow out of the mask. All was back to normal after I pulled the towel away from my face.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 10 214 7 hours ago
Last Post: Luka07
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 Today, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 377 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 54 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  ASV settings and tips jcp519 43 1,353 03-26-2024, 03:19 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.