Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Getting started -- waking up with horrible dry mouth
RE: Getting started -- waking up with horrible dry mouth
There is a reason full face masks as seldom recommended as a first option. Many FFMs are notorious for leaking issues. It's simply because they have more surface area touching the face and they cover the mouth, which is a moving body part. Generally, it's much harder to get a good seal on a FFM than a nasal mask or nasal pillows system. That causes more leaks, reducing CPAP effectiveness and can also be a comfort issue as the FFMs are much larger and more invasive, thereby affecting compliance.

Yes, FFMs can be the answer for folks who have exhausted other options, but they tend to introduce a whole new set of issues that patients need to be aware of. If you're going to go the FFM route, make sure you get one that is properly sized for your face and works well with your individual facial structure.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Almost slept through the night! I woke up once. And I slept 8 hours instead of my usual 10+.

I did have everything on way too tight though...left some nice marks this morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
Had my worst night of CPAP sleep so far and I discovered why...I had unhooked the humidifier partially and didn't plug it back in before I went to sleep. I've been doing that because it makes annoying clicking noises if I leave it plugged in. Is there anyway to stop that with the Resmed S9 VPAP/H5i humidifier WITHOUT unplugging it?
Post Reply Post Reply
Most people can't hear those clicking noises. I think you and I just have better hearing than most Smile

I mentioned it in another thread and the respondents said they don't hear anything from their H5i. The sound really is very hard to notice unless the room is perfectly quiet. It's just the thermostat in the unit doing its thing and to my knowledge you can't do anything about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just recently bought another S9AutoSet and I'm keeping my older one as a backup. Anyway, I said all of that to say this, (Ha-Ha.) on my new machine, I don't hear the clicks at all; on my backup machine I did hear them but they weren't enough to bother me.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Haha well my home office is in my bedroom so it drives me nuts during the day. If it was just when I was falling asleep it wouldn't bother me. Ah well I guess I'll get used to it, I don't want to sleep like that again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Dreamdiver, is the water level reducing in your humidifier overnight ? Mine stopped doing this with the sudden change to having a tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth when I woke in the morning. Dreadfully dry. Changed out the humidifier for a new one and problem resolved.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, humidifier appears to be working fine.

Had my mask off for two hours last night. This chinstrap seems to be causing me more problems than it's fixing. I'm going to try putting it on over the mask instead of under tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2013, 09:24 PM)eviltim Wrote: I have horrible, horrible dry mouth
I use a full-face mask and have had the same problem. I've only been using a BIPAP machine for 2-1/2 months.

My dentist was the one who spotlighted my original sleep apnea problem and ordered a sleep study. Since dentists have a very, shall we say, "mouth based perspective", she said "You should buy XyliMelts".

Zylimelts are over-the-counter tablets. Put one each on the way upper corner of your mouth between my cheek and gum (that's where the salivary glands are, I'm told). They are two sided. Put the brown side against the gum.

This turns on salivation. Now sometimes the mask pushes down on my face and impedes the saliva from reaching all the areas of the mouth. When this happens and my mouth get's a little dry, I flex my cheeks against the pressure of the mask for a few seconds (while the mask is on and blowing) and it allows some saliva through. I can do this laying in bed with the mask on.

Works great. Not all pharmacies sell them, but I found mine at a local Rite-Aid store.

I doubt my physicians had even heard of this. It says on the label, though, "Can be used with braces, dentures, or CPAP machines.

I suppose that means a BIPAP as well! :grin:
Post Reply Post Reply
I dunno - I'm more concerned about mouth opening reducing the effectiveness of the therapy. Does treating the dry mouth with xylimelts/other tricks also keep it from opening?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 5 104 1 hour ago
Last Post: Valtor
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 32 9 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 374 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,811 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.