Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Getting started -- waking up with horrible dry mouth
RE: Getting started -- waking up with horrible dry mouth
Another mediocre nights sleep for me. I tried putting on my homemade chinstrap and woke up with it around the tube somehow. I also woke up many times and had a pretty bad AHI (almost 5). At least I kept the mask on all night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Use the full face mask Luke.
The hassle you are going through trying to make this work is worse than adapting to a full face mask.
Once you get the hang of cleaning it and getting a good seal, it's worth it.

Peace, Love and Carrots.
Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, that seems to be where I'm headed at the moment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2013, 07:08 PM)eviltim Wrote: I dunno - I'm more concerned about mouth opening reducing the effectiveness of the therapy. Does treating the dry mouth with xylimelts/other tricks also keep it from opening?

Have a full face mask, and have learned to breathe through nose. But things leak, etc, and mouth is still dry. But mouth or nose, all is pressurized and lungs are getting filled.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I slept last night with my chinstrap on all the way. My mouth was not terribly dry and there was water left in the humidifier (when I sleep without the chinstrap all the water is pretty much gone -- I assume the mouth leak is too much for it to keep up with). However I still woke up 5+ times.

Anyone see anything odd about this graph that I'm missing (other than the terrible summer hours I am keeping)

The total stop at 5:30ish is me disconnecting the hose to go to the bathroom.

[Image: pc3ehtB.png]
[Image: J520ulO.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Dude, your leak rate is murdering you.
We need to get you down to near zero on that.
Run don't walk to the full face mask supplier. (DME, etc)
You might need to try several before you get one that is right for you but it'll
be worth it.

Go for it!

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2013, 07:41 AM)sleepyhead2 Wrote: Hello Dreamdiver, is the water level reducing in your humidifier overnight ? Mine stopped doing this with the sudden change to having a tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth when I woke in the morning. Dreadfully dry. Changed out the humidifier for a new one and problem resolved.
Well, I guess dry mouth isn't a wake trigger for everyone. Lesson learned! I've only seen the water level go down overnight in the winter. I'm glad you successfully troubleshot the humidifier as the problem.

(08-14-2013, 06:09 AM)Shastzi Wrote: ...
Run don't walk to the full face mask ...

+1
(and a papcap or a ruby)
[Image: dreamdiver-signature-gif.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, my leaks were brutal last night. Off to the drs tomorrow to discuss this and probably try on some masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looking thru hybrid and full face masks right now. Seems like full face masks are a lot more popular than hybrids...any particular reason?
Post Reply Post Reply
Leak rate looks decent for the 1st half of the night, maybe mouth leak for the 2nd half
Do you get dry mouth or/and congestion? Beside full face mask, chinstrap can helps too
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 84 5 hours ago
Last Post: Hurdsy
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 107 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 183 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Just getting started, looking for an OSCAR data review mattcole3 3 106 04-12-2024, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Gross Waking up anxious Gailofiowa 3 108 04-09-2024, 08:10 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 11 808 04-02-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 323 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.