Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Getting started -- waking up with horrible dry mouth
RE: Getting started -- waking up with horrible dry mouth
Looking through my data, it seems like some, though not all of my wakings are associated with a large rise in pressure beforehand. Has anyone experienced higher pressures waking them up? Mine isn't set super high, its max is like 15 exhale and it doesn't go that high ever, but I wonder if it could be causing me to wake up.
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't read all this thread but I use a Swift Nasal mask and the only way I can stop mouth leaks and a very dry mouth is by using Tape

been doing it for years it works no problem
Post Reply Post Reply
I just gave up and went with the full face mask. I don't mind it so I think I will be sticking with it for the time being, until I have more time to experiment with other masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi eviltim,
If the full-face mask, (FFM,) is working for you, that's great. Now you can start getting used to everything.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The Ruby chin strap is the best. I bought 5 on eBay for $5 bucks a pop!
Post Reply Post Reply
So these leaks are bothering me, and I think they're waking me up. Has anyone else had leaks occurring at the bridge of their nose with this mask? I have sort of an odd shaped nose (deviated septum) so that probably doesn't help and may be why I can't tolerate the nasal pillows.

I'm wondering if maybe a new cushion would help (I am using a loaner mask this month). Or maybe the Quattro instead of the Quattro FX? Any advice?

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-29-2013, 01:16 PM)eviltim Wrote: So these leaks are bothering me, and I think they're waking me up. Has anyone else had leaks occurring at the bridge of their nose with this mask? I have sort of an odd shaped nose (deviated septum) so that probably doesn't help and may be why I can't tolerate the nasal pillows.

I'm wondering if maybe a new cushion would help (I am using a loaner mask this month). Or maybe the Quattro instead of the Quattro FX? Any advice?

Old masks do tend to leak more at the nose bridge. (Anything over eight months old for me.) I have not had my Quattro FX that long, and it was new when I got it. The cushion is the key. To seat the mask properly, sometimes I have to pick it up while it's on my face and, starting from the top of the mask re-settle the mask on my face. It helps to make sure it's not oily. I wash the cushion and my face each night to make sure it's got a good seal. It's more about face oils than facial hair. I've never had any trouble with the beard and any mask.
[Image: dreamdiver-signature-gif.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dreamdiver. I'm going to start cleaning the cushion daily.

Reseating it helps, but I'm waking up a couple times every night and it seems like I have to fidget with it 10 minutes before I get a good seal, turning off the machine, messing around with it and starting it again until it works. It's driving me nuts.

One more question -- I'm assuming if I use a medium Quattro FX I should probably get medium Resmed full face masks?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-29-2013, 02:09 PM)eviltim Wrote: ... I'm assuming if I use a medium Quattro FX I should probably get medium Resmed full face masks?
Most of the masks I've gotten from Resmed have all been medium|normal. If you're a medium|normal too, you probably will not like the Liberty Hybrid (Also a ResMed product.)

While it's probably okay to make the assumption, you're always better off checking with the fitting guides available on various cpap vendor sites. I believe most people are familiar with vender #1 on the vendor list. I'm not as impressed with local DME's but your mileage may vary.

Let me suggest that you do not turn off the pressure to seat the mask if it's already on your face and the blower is already running. It's much easier simply to rely on the pressure to help you seat the mask by gently lowering it onto your face and allowing the pressure to poof out the cushion in the right places. Once you get a feel for it, the process takes a couple seconds at most. Yes you do have to be fairly awake to re-seat, but it's likely as you get used to using the mask, you'll find your pressure and leaks staying well managed longer through the night.
[Image: dreamdiver-signature-gif.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
Alright cool. I will do that tonight and see if it helps.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 5 118 Yesterday, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Valtor
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 39 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 383 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 318 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 241 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,815 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 121 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.