Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Getting up at night, what do you do?
Question 
Getting up at night, what do you do?
I've been using a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset for Her for a little over a month. This is the only machine I've ever had. I have a Wisp mask and it's got a quick release feature, which is cool. When I get up to go to the bathroom or (only rarely) see to one of my 21 month old twins, I usually just unclip the mask and wear the head gear. I lay the hose down on the bed, blasting away. It just seems like this is going to shorten the motor life and the machine itself registers this initially as an unexplained apnea and then a large leak.

So, am I supposed to turn it off and then turn it back on? Or is this the proper way to leave bed at night?

(on a side note, our electricity went out and was out for 5 hours early Sunday morning) I only got to use the cpap for 3 hours. I felt like death warmed over all day yesterday (and woke my whole house up with my snoring - since there was no other sound in the neighborhood!!)... I'm so grateful for this machine. I think I'm an addict!)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Getting up at night, what do you do?
(04-13-2015, 04:37 PM)kdmorris410 Wrote: I've been using a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset for Her for a little over a month. This is the only machine I've ever had. I have a Wisp mask and it's got a quick release feature, which is cool. When I get up to go to the bathroom or (only rarely) see to one of my 21 month old twins, I usually just unclip the mask and wear the head gear. I lay the hose down on the bed, blasting away. It just seems like this is going to shorten the motor life and the machine itself registers this initially as an unexplained apnea and then a large leak.

So, am I supposed to turn it off and then turn it back on? Or is this the proper way to leave bed at night?

(on a side note, our electricity went out and was out for 5 hours early Sunday morning) I only got to use the cpap for 3 hours. I felt like death warmed over all day yesterday (and woke my whole house up with my snoring - since there was no other sound in the neighborhood!!)... I'm so grateful for this machine. I think I'm an addict!)

Have you tried setting the automatic on/off setting to on? That way, the machine will turn off after registering that you are not inhaling. I normally just push the button to turn it of or on, but I can see where it might come in handy if you need to rush off to take care of the baby.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, I just push the off button and take off my nasal pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you monitor your data, then leaving the mask off registers as a major leak. As Mich suggests, you can use the Auto On and Auto Off feature in the clinical menu and the machine will turn off when it free-flows more than a minute, and will auto-start when you put on the mask. As far as hurting the machine, it is designed to provide at least 20,000 hours of therapy pressure. I doubt you will do much harm with a few minutes of unobstructed flow.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi kdmorris410,
Turn your machine off when you get up to go the bathroom. If you leave it on, it will look like a large leak in your data.
Edit: I turn mine off when I get up, end edit.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Simple....get up, turn machine off, disconnect mask hose from machine hose.
Mask stays on....
Come back to bed, attach mask hose to CPAP hose and turn machine back on.
Sleep-well

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hardly ever get up at night thanks to CPAP - I chose my first mask with getting up at night ease in mind, and it turned out to be a non-starter. happy me.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm sorry. I don't understand the aversion to just hitting the button and turning it off when leaving and then hitting it again upon return to turn it on. Am I missing something?

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
In the beginning I thought that approach would reset the stats or something.
But luckily the Resmed, and SleepyHead, know to put it all together into one night.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2015, 07:20 PM)worn_out_in_lebanon Wrote: In the beginning I thought that approach would reset the stats or something.
But luckily the Resmed, and SleepyHead, know to put it all together into one night.

No loss, it keeps track fine. It just shows a little gap in the data when it is not running.

I often have fragmented sleep where I wake up around 2:00-3:00. Sometimes I can get up and do some minor, non-exertion activity like watch the tube for a half hour or check email and them go back to sleep, maybe those 30 minutes to an hour later.

I think it good to be able to see that and be able to quantify it when I go to the doctor.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 869 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 920 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Great Night into Terrible Night dcsleep 1 1,128 12-15-2020, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] AHI varies from night to night KKBW 6 1,364 07-31-2020, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  New to CPAP - First Night Great, Second Night not so much oasised 22 3,294 07-24-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Here is my data from 3rd night and Friday night slingshot383 16 2,282 05-25-2020, 05:35 AM
Last Post: slingshot383
Question One night AHI 0, next night leaks and high AHI. MyronH 7 2,229 09-29-2018, 09:29 AM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.