Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Getting up during the night?
RE: Getting up during the night?
At my age I have found it best to reserve "smart start" for when I get into the bathroom. As far as the machine is concerned, pushing the off button works great.
Post Reply Post Reply
I turn the machine off. Although after starting CPAP it is a rare occurrence for me to have to get up in the night. It is amazing and nice going from 2-5 times a night getting up to not at all.

When you turn the machine back on it still calculates your time of usage as if you never turned it off. Also, if you are keeping track of the digital read out to follow your progress of usage time, AHI, leaks, etc. you should check it before noon each day. It resets after noon to be ready for the next night's sleep. Keeping a journal is a handy thing to do as well to jot down your numbers. I keep track of other things in my journal as well ... when I changed filter, pillows on my mask, when I picked up new supplies at DME. Make notations of things out of the ordinary as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2014, 02:00 PM)ImaSurvivor Wrote: I turn the machine off. Although after starting CPAP it is a rare occurrence for me to have to get up in the night. It is amazing and nice going from 2-5 times a night getting up to not at all.

When you turn the machine back on it still calculates your time of usage as if you never turned it off. Also, if you are keeping track of the digital read out to follow your progress of usage time, AHI, leaks, etc. you should check it before noon each day. It resets after noon to be ready for the next night's sleep. Keeping a journal is a handy thing to do as well to jot down your numbers. I keep track of other things in my journal as well ... when I changed filter, pillows on my mask, when I picked up new supplies at DME. Make notations of things out of the ordinary as well.

I wish I would've read this post before I called my Homecare agency.They talked me through activating smart start. I'm new to the machine & cpap so smart start may help me in the beginning til I get into a rhythm of using it. She told me when I turn it off it would go back into ramp mode is that true? Ty all for Ur opinions very helpful & imasurvivor the idea of keeping a journal is a wonderful idea I'mma start doing that. I just wouldn't know how to access the info you were referring to??
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mstiff027. I enjoy keeping the journal and it is handy to look back at. I always carry it with me when traveling as well so I can keep a complete journal. I keep the spiral notepad next to my machine. I also put a diary app on my phone and enter basic info of the numbers I take off my machine and when I pick up supplies, etc ... in case I need to refer to the info while not at home. I don't bother with the 'out of ordinary' notations and problems I had on my phone app. ... takes too long to type it all in. It is probably overkill to do both but just the way I do it.

To get the basic digital info from ResMed S9 AutoStart, push the knob on the right down and release to light up the readout screen on your machine. There are two silver buttons next to the knob on the right side. Push those two buttons down at the same time and hold them a few seconds. You will get a screen that appears with a green smiley face. Hopefully you have green smiley ... that means there were minimal leaks and all is well ... if you have a red frown face it means there were a lot of leaks that interfered with therapy. If you have a red frown, you will need to be aware and troubleshoot on fixing excessive leaks from your mask. Above the smile face it shows how many hours of usage you had for the night and below the smile face you will see AHI. That is the Apnea/Hypopnea Index (the apnea events you had during your sleep). Under 5 is normal. While in that screen, if you turn the knob on the right down one notch, you will see another screen listing more information. The bottom line will tell you the leak rate. It will look something like 8L/min ... you want the number next to the L to be under 24 which is considered acceptable. The example I gave of 8L/min is what my leak rate usually is and is just an example for you. The number for me fluctuates a little on different nights but mainly stays in that range. There is nothing you need to do to turn off the digital read out when done checking things. It will go out automatically.

There is an SD card in the back of your machine also that has more extensive information. The doctors use it to follow your progress. Folks on this forum also regularly load it on their computers and follow their progress with free software. I have not yet gotten into that. I may at some point if I begin having problems and want to look at data more closely. So far I have been satisfied with what I can read in the digital screens.

I don't use smart start but my guess is that it would go back into ramp mode. I turned the ramp off in my first couple nights of therapy. I didn't like it and had read on this forum that it could be turned off. Some like it, some don't. For me the start pressure of 4 was too low and was a smothering feeling. It seemed like an eternal time before the pressure raised enough in ramp to where I felt comfortable. My pressure prescription is 10 and it doesn't bother me to go straight into full pressure. I had trouble with pressure 4 at the sleep study as well and they had to turn it up for me when they put the CPAP on me for determining my pressure need.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow imasurvivor now that's a lot of info, but wonderful to know. I'm going to try looking at my read out tomorrow when I wake up cause I'm interested in knowing if I'm having leaks and if I stop breathing during the night. Now what app do u use for the diary or can I use any diary app? And do you write out the information on the display screen?

Edit: never mind about what you write in ur journal I had to reread it again & I see where you noted that you do add ur numbers from the screen. Lol need to read carefully next time.
Post Reply Post Reply
I only keep basic information on my phone app. Yes ... you can use any diary app. I like to have my AHI, hours used, and leak rate for each night on my app. if I have a need to call the doctor for any reason while away from journal at home (i.e. if I am at work), I have some info to refer to. I haven't had to do that so far but it is nice to know I have it if I need it. I also keep track of when I pick up new supplies and replace pillows on my mask. I do not live in the same town as my DME and it requires a bit of planning to pick up new supplies. Since I can only get supplies once a month or for some other supplies every 6 months, I like having that noted on my app. If I am on the go and going to be in the vicinity of my DME, I can check the date and see if I am eligible to swing in and pick up supplies.

This of course is my method and keeps me organized. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I love the Smart Start feature on my S9. It starts with a few quick inhalations and shuts off after about 30 seconds after mask is removed (unless you trick it by putting putting the mask under the pillow). However, if the unit does shut off during nightly latrine duty, my ramp is relatively short, and getting back to sleep is not really an issue.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
My sister just turn it on and off by herself as well. She has never had any problems with it. She get up several times a night to check on her daughter Wink Haven't used cpap so I wouldn't know. I sue nasal strips and the husband uses a mouth guard. We are a family of snoring devices Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2014, 05:05 AM)EvelynCale Wrote: My sister just turn it on and off by herself as well. She has never had any problems with it. She get up several times a night to check on her daughter Wink Haven't used cpap so I wouldn't know. I sue nasal strips and the husband uses a mouth guard. We are a family of snoring devices Big Grin
Hi EvelynCale, WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 849 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 897 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Great Night into Terrible Night dcsleep 1 1,109 12-15-2020, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] AHI varies from night to night KKBW 6 1,340 07-31-2020, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  New to CPAP - First Night Great, Second Night not so much oasised 22 3,234 07-24-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Here is my data from 3rd night and Friday night slingshot383 16 2,252 05-25-2020, 05:35 AM
Last Post: slingshot383
Question One night AHI 0, next night leaks and high AHI. MyronH 7 2,201 09-29-2018, 09:29 AM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.