Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Getting used to ASV pulses
RE: Getting used to ASV pulses
For ASV machines the mask pressure graph is far more useful than the red pressure graph when you're zoomed in like this. IIRC the mask pressure is sampled 25 times a second but the overall pressure is only sampled once/second, which is why the graph looks so lumpy at this scale).
Post Reply Post Reply
Very good point Deep Breathing. Never thought about sample rates for CPAP machines, I like it! Now if I can remember that in the future  Thanks
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
b.e. wilson your Philips Auto SV Advanced has some settings that the Resmed ASV guys don't have. Another member here t.j.Moody uses a Philips machine and has set his breath backup rate to manual and is currently using a BPM setting of 5. That is an uncommonly low rate. The default backup rate for these machines is 15 BPM, and if the auto mode is not working for you, you can switch to a manual BPM and try some lower settings that better reflect your respiratory rate. Many members using these machines do well at 10-12 bpm. Keep in mind the Resmed paces the user's breathing rate, while Philips times it. You may need a lower BPM with Philips in order not to get the pressure surges until you need them. Just a thought, and I encourage you to continue trying to use the auto settings if possible; but if you feel it does not provide a comfortable match for your respiration rate, you have an alternative to experiment with.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
S. Rider,

The settings which affect my regular breathing are what I'm playing with now. Here is last night:
5-9, PS 2-6. Flex off, with a timed breath setting of 6 (how fast it turns around from exhale to inhale, relative numbers, not seconds).
Result: AHI went up, as did periodic breathing and central apneas. But it felt better sleeping, and my tidal volume was way up.

Tonight I'll lower pressure support to 1-6 and see how that works. Or maybe it would be better to set 4-8 with PS1-6? But I like the larger tidal volumes a lot. I sleep hotter that way, which means more cells are staying active at night. If that doesn't improve things, I'll go to timed breathing.

Thanks, all for comments and advice.
Working it out,
Bruce
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not surprised that some minimal PS and a much lower BPM created some more CA events, but interesting that it helped the tidal volume and how you felt. Those may be more important parameters. As I said before, I think you need to keep a more conventional bacup rate (bpm) of at least 8 to 10. Keep us posted how you sort this out. I would try to sort out the PS issues separately from BPM.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider,

Something you mentioned has caught my eye, about ResMed machines being more "responsive" to breathing than the Respironics machines. I thought that too, but have found that when Flex is disabled, the Respironics machine is very responsive to my breathing. I've been running with it off, and it's far more comfortable than on. I've been running with 1-2 cm of inhalation boost in the pressure support setting.

I've also found the most restful sleep I've gotten will have 2-3% periodic breathing. When periodic breathing is zero I don't feel well-rested. Strange.

Bruce
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2018, 09:51 AM)b.e.wilson Wrote: Sleeprider,

Something you mentioned has caught my eye, about ResMed machines being more "responsive" to breathing than the Respironics machines. I thought that too, but have found that when Flex is disabled, the Respironics machine is very responsive to my breathing. I've been running with it off, and it's far more comfortable than on. I've been running with 1-2 cm of inhalation boost in the pressure support setting.

I've also found the most restful sleep I've gotten will have 2-3% periodic breathing. When periodic breathing is zero I don't feel well-rested. Strange.

Bruce

Is this maybe a great example of feeling better doesn't have a good looking number, comparatively, to go with it and vise versa?

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Clear airway pulses Jessher 3 605 01-20-2023, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Something went very wrong early morning - kept feeling pressure pulses waking me up MyronH 9 2,063 06-27-2018, 11:02 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  [Equipment] Dream Station ASV - why doesn't it count BiPAP pulses? problemchild 12 2,408 04-07-2018, 01:41 PM
Last Post: scroydon
  Pressure pulses MitchS 8 4,213 07-31-2017, 10:57 PM
Last Post: jonathan richardson
  Can the CA pulses be confused as heart palpitations? Rcgop 7 1,970 04-01-2017, 07:45 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  [Equipment] Disconcerting pressure pulses between breaths on Dreamstation Pro Johnbrooking 23 5,067 01-15-2017, 06:14 PM
Last Post: Johnbrooking
Gross [Pressure] Pressure pulses driving me insane blannan 4 4,307 09-28-2016, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Want2SleepInMT

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.