GTOdude Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: RemStar Auto APAP
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFIT P10
Humidifier: Unsure
CPAP Pressure: 7-14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Other Dx: cabg x3 '94. Hypothyroid '15 and other maladies.

Sex: Male

Getting worse..
I think things are getting worse for me. My data looks horrible. I woke up around 5:00AM and laid there a bit but fell back asleep for a while I think afterwards.

I dont know if the Dreamware mask is better for me than the P10. Still have that one too. Regardless, I feel like crap. Slight headache. Feel like a zombie. Dammit.

Mark
[attachment=2000]
12-26-2015 10:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

RE: Getting worse..
If you were awake at 05:00, they you can disregard all that clutter after 05:00.
An AHI above 5 is less than optimal; but your apneas are dominated by hypoapnea.

I believe how you feel lies in the other maladies.
And, if tapering off some meds, then your receptors in the brain have to upregulate.
That takes time; and can make you feel like crap.

Build a fire under your cardio doc's butt; get a full rock 'n roll cardio workup from him/her.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
12-26-2015 11:51 AM
Crimson Nape Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: P-10 / F&P Simplus / DreamWear
Humidifier: H5i w/Climateline
CPAP Pressure: 8 - EPR 3
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: CMS-50F & 50IW

It appears that the pressure changes are disturbing you. Have you tried a straight pressure? I have a problem with variable pressure and setting it to a single value greatly improved how I feel. This is just a WAG but since your 50% is 8.7cm, it'd set the pressure at 9 and give her a try. If nothing else, this would give you a proof of concept.

Statistics prove that people who have more birthdays live longer.
12-26-2015 11:57 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
CHanlon Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Activa LT
Humidifier: ResMed Hi5
CPAP Pressure: 12 -20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Mirage Activa LT nasal mask

Even disregarding the cluster after 5 am, you had a lot of RERA's - if SH is accurate and those are in fact respiratory effort related arousals, you could be fighting against the exhalation pressure - have you moved up the EPR to 3 yet? I know you were talking about that. Might help. If it doesn't, you might want to investigate other options... RERA's could indicate things like a deviated septum, or other restriction of the airway. OR it could be related to your anxiety - nocturnal panic attacks are a thing, and between the anxiety that you mentioned, and coping with this new and invasive CPAP stuff, it's not a big stretch.

I've no idea how to approach a solution if it's the latter, other than time - getting used to all this stuff is probably the best solution.
12-26-2015 12:19 PM
PoolQ Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: AirCurve 10 VAUTO
Mask Make & Model: Amara View
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: 6.2, 15, PS4.0
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

I share your experience of everything is going fine and then bam a step back. For me it was just the next CPAP "issue" coming to the forefront after I got the last one solved. I had to get the apnea's under control (which happened fast) and then all of the CPAP stuff that just bugged me enough to interrupt my sleep. If someone is poking you in the side during your sleep you may not notice that someone else is pinching your toe.

I personally had a major issue with exhaling into pressure and finally had to get a BiLevel machine to deal with it. I also had no choice but using a FFM because the nose only ones exacerbated this problem. Really wish I could use them, but no not for me.
12-26-2015 01:10 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
GTOdude Offline

Preferred Members

(12-26-2015 11:57 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote:  It appears that the pressure changes are disturbing you. Have you tried a straight pressure? I have a problem with variable pressure and setting it to a single value greatly improved how I feel. This is just a WAG but since your 50% is 8.7cm, it'd set the pressure at 9 and give her a try. If nothing else, this would give you a proof of concept.
That sounds like a good idea to try. I set my machine to CPAP at 9.0 for tonight and im going back to the P10 mask for tonight too.

Mark
12-26-2015 01:11 PM
GTOdude Offline

Preferred Members

(12-26-2015 12:19 PM)CHanlon Wrote:  Even disregarding the cluster after 5 am, you had a lot of RERA's - if SH is accurate and those are in fact respiratory effort related arousals, you could be fighting against the exhalation pressure - have you moved up the EPR to 3 yet? I know you were talking about that. Might help. If it doesn't, you might want to investigate other options... RERA's could indicate things like a deviated septum, or other restriction of the airway. OR it could be related to your anxiety - nocturnal panic attacks are a thing, and between the anxiety that you mentioned, and coping with this new and invasive CPAP stuff, it's not a big stretch.

I've no idea how to approach a solution if it's the latter, other than time - getting used to all this stuff is probably the best solution.
I've been on Cflex 3 for quite some time now. I still have the anxiety and the desats when trying to fall asleep on my own. The 1/2 Ambien gets me over the hump.

My cardio gets back to the office Monday. Im gonna try and see him then. I could need another stent or two the way im feeling..

Mark
12-26-2015 01:16 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
GTOdude Offline

Preferred Members

(12-26-2015 11:51 AM)justMongo Wrote:  If you were awake at 05:00, they you can disregard all that clutter after 05:00.
An AHI above 5 is less than optimal; but your apneas are dominated by hypoapnea.

I believe how you feel lies in the other maladies.
And, if tapering off some meds, then your receptors in the brain have to upregulate.
That takes time; and can make you feel like crap.

Build a fire under your cardio doc's butt; get a full rock 'n roll cardio workup from him/her.
Mongo, I set my machine for straight CPAP at 9 as another good soul suggested. And Im going back to my P10 mask for tonight also. My cardio comes back to the office Monday so Im gonna try to get in and see him. A fire it shall be.

Mark
12-26-2015 01:19 PM
Ghost1958 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PRS1 Series Sixty Auto Aflex
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Eson
Humidifier: PRS1 with Heated Hose
CPAP Pressure: 10.5 min 16 max

Other Comments: Moderate to Severe SA Obstructive. Rapid O2 desat off the machine.

Raising your min is good cuz 7 is too low.
Going straight pressure I think is a mistake at 9 because its to low to handle you.
I would go 9 min 13 max on auto.
You make more headway raising min rather than max when clearing OA and hypops.
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2015 02:24 PM by Ghost1958.)
12-26-2015 02:22 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

I have to disagree with Crimson "Red" Nape.
IMHO: Ghost has the better solution.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
12-26-2015 03:17 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Lack of progress and getting worse. Pudel 7 405 11-07-2016 02:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Insomnia getting worse 3 months into therapy baconjurer 3 518 10-05-2016 11:50 PM
Last Post: PoolQ
  MAOI/antidepressant patient feeling worse with CPAP CPAPstruggler 15 1,956 10-05-2016 08:49 AM
Last Post: jbsix
Sad Worse sleep with CPAP machine PatCurt 33 1,843 09-02-2016 06:38 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse
  Teeth clenching started with CPAP, now worse. KMatch 11 830 05-26-2016 10:06 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Can Testosterone Replacement Make OSA Worse Adoniscmj 14 944 05-01-2016 01:18 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New mask, worse AHI pdbabb66 1 399 03-27-2016 01:12 PM
Last Post: justMongo