Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Getting worse - The Great Nap of Mutiny
Getting worse - The Great Nap of Mutiny
I have gone from an AHI of 5 to 10 to now almost 15... Not sure what is going on that is making a difference. Some have said my lower number needs to be raised. I do see that most of these are central apneas. Anxiety? I'm eating or drinking something wrong? So far my leaks are minimal. I did however wake up without the mask on last night. Evidently I subconsciously took a 2 hour break. Idk...

I am feeling better. I am tired, but a different tired if that makes sense. I am clearer and more patient (at least the last two days). Is that a placebo effect or am I really benefiting?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Getting worse
Welcome to the board, I'm sorry I can't help you as I don't yet know enough to offer quality advice, but someone will be along shortly that will know.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
If it were me, I would increase the minimum some. Or, go to straight CPAP at 9. I still don't think I'd raise the max at this point because I don't want to encourage the CA's, if they are real CA's, to go higher. But I would increase the minimum, no other changes, and watch for a couple of days.
Post Reply Post Reply
What is the duration of your CA's? Short -- like 10 seconds?
CA's can be pressure induced. The snore suggests a little higher pressure -- but the CA's suggest otherwise.
I wish they would have provided an auto-bilevel machine.
You're sort of walking a knife's edge there.

I think this one is best left between you and your doctor.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I do have an auto machine, but I don't think the auto is turned on. I think it was supposed to and the tech missed it or it was left out of the order. I am going to call the Dr tomorrow. In the meantime I am going to clear my sinuses tonight and see what happens. I agree with retired guy though, it seems like the lower number is a long way from the higher. Kinda makes me feel panicky when I exhale. Who knows? I'll see what they say tomorrow.

I imagine that a 14 is better than what I have without the machine though.

Thanks for the responses, btw
Post Reply Post Reply
The Great Nap of Mutiny!!!!
Yesterday I took a nap at the result was an AHI of 21.7.... Mostly due to a crazy amount of CAs that continued, as I described in an earlier post, into the night.

Well, after the earlier discussion and calling my brother, I decided to hijack my machine and turn the auto function on... NAP TIME!!!! Dancing

Tomorrow's call to the Dr should be interesting if this holds up for the night. I suspect that the Auto was supposed to be on the whole time.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: The Great Nap of Mutiny!!!!
Well the results look promising... Good luck tonight... Let us know how you come out!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Those numbers look pretty good, even I know that. Best of luck tonight.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2014, 07:05 PM)LJones Wrote: Yesterday I took a nap at the result was an AHI of 21.7.... Mostly due to a crazy amount of CAs that continued, as I described in an earlier post, into the night.

Well, after the earlier discussion and calling my brother, I decided to hijack my machine and turn the auto function on... NAP TIME!!!! Dancing

Tomorrow's call to the Dr should be interesting if this holds up for the night. I suspect that the Auto was supposed to be on the whole time.

Hi LJones, welcome to the forum!

Looks like when in AutoB mode the EPAP sometimes needed to be as high as 7. The machine automatically raised EPAP in order to avoid obstructive conditions like Snore and Flow Limitation, and the higher EPAP is no doubt responsible for the lower number of obstructive events.

Previously, were you using a fixed EPAP of 4 and a fixed IPAP of 9? If yes, then previously your Pressure Support (PS) had been a constant 5. PS is the amount of pressure boost during IPAP, so PS = (9 minus 4) = 5.

Looks like when in AutoB mode the Minimum Pressure Support setting (Min PS) was only 2, and as PS was automatically adjusted it stayed lower than 5. The lower PS may have helped lower the number of Central Apneas. The PS would have automatically adjusted itself in order to avoid obstructive conditions lie Flow Limitation.

When in AutoB mode, what was your Max EPAP setting?
Max IPAP = 25
Pax PS = 21
Min PS = 2
Max EPAP = ???
Min EPAP = 4

Be sure to ask your doctor whether he knows of any reason to lower the Max EPAP, MAX PS or Max IPAP. If you have a special lung condition, for example, a lower Max IPAP may be advisable.

Also, we already have seen from your high number of Clear Airway apneas when your PS was fixed at 5, that perhaps your number of CAs would be higher if your PS were to be always 5. For those who are susceptible to CA events, sometimes a higher amount of PS will increase the number of their CA events.

But, on the other hand, it is fairly common for patients who are just starting out on PAP therapy to have a moderate amount of centrals, and usually the number of centrals will decrease over time, so that within weeks or months the number becomes small, as their body becomes accustomed to sleeping with the PAP therapy.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
duplicate post
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 215 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 179 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 585 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 322 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Events worse in the morning and events in general getting worse Elizabeth79 45 1,982 02-14-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Elizabeth79
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 323 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 933 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.