Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Getting worse..
RE: Getting worse..
Well, everybody else did, so I'll toss in my own two cents. 8-)

You're leaking like crazy. It's difficult or impossible for the machine to do it's job with leaks that size. Also the leaks are disturbing even with no other problems.

I'm with JustMongo and Ghost. If you can get your leaks under control and bump up the upper limit and the lower limit I think you'll be feeling a lot better.

Smaller pressure changes and few leaks will give you a better night's sleep.

Also, everybody feels like crap sometimes, so don't give up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Keeping in-mind it's a PR machine, there are two leak traces on the graph. One is total leak and the lower is the true unintended leak.
The 95% unintended leak rate is 23 LPM at which the machine can still provide adequate pressure for therapy.

Now, I cannot stand leaks because they disturb me. My full-face mask does the "face-fart" thing; and it wakes me.
It's just that I have managed to tame the FFM and get essentially a zero leak rate.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
On the Pr machine it will flag a large leak at the point it cant accuately pick up events or maintain full pressure.

That happens at about 70.
His large leak while it needs serious improvement is only .42 or something of his night.
The machine can deal about all the time but like Mongo says the lwaks themselves could be disturbing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-26-2015, 05:00 PM)justMongo Wrote: Keeping in-mind it's a PR machine, there are two leak traces on the graph. One is total leak and the lower is the true unintended leak.
The 95% unintended leak rate is 23 LPM at which the machine can still provide adequate pressure for therapy.

I'm probably just reading it wrong, but it looks like a bunch of leaks way above 40 LPM.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-26-2015, 10:51 PM)Terry Wrote:
(12-26-2015, 05:00 PM)justMongo Wrote: Keeping in-mind it's a PR machine, there are two leak traces on the graph. One is total leak and the lower is the true unintended leak.

I'm probably just reading it wrong, but it looks like a bunch of leaks way above 40 LPM.

That's the total leak line which includes the mask venting.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-26-2015, 11:52 PM)justMongo Wrote:
(12-26-2015, 10:51 PM)Terry Wrote:

That's the total leak line which includes the mask venting.
I only used the machine for just over 3 hours last night. Woke up with a sore nose. Took it off and slept on my tummy rest of the night. Still feel like hell. Gonna get in the cardio hopefully tomorrow. Here's the print out. Still dealing with leaks, but a better looking AHI?

Mark
[attachment=2007]

Post Reply Post Reply
Goat Boy Big Grin (GTOdude),

You are reacting too quickly to the data. On the other hand, the way you are feeling needs investigation but, as it looks like you are beginning to suspect, it needs to be investigated with your doc and not your CPAP.

The first set of graphs in this thread (the day that your AHI was 5.03) was a good night's sleep. All of the events after 5:00 AM look like sleep/wake junk to me and should be ignored. Most of that night you had a good one going.

As for your leaks, are you using a chin strap? It looks to me like you may be getting some mouth leaks. Your leak rate on the first chart was actually fine. Not quite as good on the second one but not bad.

It is like restoring an old GTO. You ain't going to do it in one day.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-26-2015, 11:57 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: It appears that the pressure changes are disturbing you. Have you tried a straight pressure? I have a problem with variable pressure and setting it to a single value greatly improved how I feel. This is just a WAG but since your 50% is 8.7cm, it'd set the pressure at 9 and give her a try. If nothing else, this would give you a proof of concept.

Hi Crimson Nape,

When changing from APAP mode to fixed pressure CPAP mode, conventional wisdom is to find the 90% or 95% pressure, and set the fixed pressure to that.

To find the 90% or 95% pressure (the pressure which the machine was at or below at least 90% or 95% of the time) the Max Pressure setting needs to be high enough that the pressure does not reach (or rarely reaches) the Max Pressure, and the Min Pressure should not be much lower than the median (50 percentile) pressure. Preferably, a long term average (for a month or at least a week) of the nightly 90% or 95% pressures is used.

For some patients, this might be uncomfortably high or might cause excessive air swallowing or other problems, but a few patients do even better with a fixed pressure slightly higher than the 95% pressure, giving them an AHI near zero most nights.

But if a patient is having a bothersome amount of RERA (Respiratory Effort Related Arousal) events, bilevel therapy (or preferably bilevel Auto therapy) is the best.

RERA events are caused by the pressure being too low during Inhalation (during IPAP). Obstructive Apnea events are most commonly caused by the pressure being too low at the End of Exhalation (during EPAP or at EEPAP).

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-27-2015, 01:49 PM)vsheline Wrote: But if a patient is having a bothersome amount of RERA (Respiratory Effort Related Arousal) events, bilevel therapy (or preferably bilevel Auto therapy) is the best.

RERA events are caused by the pressure being too low during Inhalation (during IPAP). Obstructive Apnea events are most commonly caused by the pressure being too low at the End of Exhalation (during EPAP or at EEPAP).

Very clear and succinct! like
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
For those of you wondering, the GTO was sometimes referred to as the Goat.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 214 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 176 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 584 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 322 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Events worse in the morning and events in general getting worse Elizabeth79 45 1,982 02-14-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Elizabeth79
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 323 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 933 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.