Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Getting worse..
RE: Getting worse..
COPD made all the difference for me. Sleep Doctor said no COPD. Pulmonologist said no COPD, but full workup anyway to see what was going on. Surprise COPD. Inhaler. Sleep like a high school kid now Smile

The turning point was when I told the Sleep Doc that I was having apneas before I was asleep. They are not apneas if you are awake
Post Reply Post Reply
One of the most unusual flow patterns seen on the forum.
The inhalation pattern is very ragged. The hypo is flagged because, as you can see, there is a decrease in amplitude at that time -- you are still breathing; just lesser amplitude.

Here's what I'm thinking. At that time, your leak graph shows approx 24 LPM leakage (unintended.)
When you inhale, that's a positive pull on the blower unit. Maybe those ragged, flat topped, inhalation peaks are because the machine cannot maintain pressure during inhalation with that leak rate. If so, you have to fix the leaks. I really think you need a Full Face Mask.

It could also be that you have an anatomical issue such as a deviated septum that blocks inhalation through the nose.

I know quite a few vets who go outside the VA system; in fact, they prefer Medicare over the VA.

edit: COPD -- Maybe. But my understanding is that COPD tends to show up more during exhalation.
COPD is diagnosed by using a spirometer. Basically seeing how much air you can blow into a machine.
I would think your doc would have already done this test.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2015, 02:47 PM)justMongo Wrote: One of the most unusual flow patterns seen on the forum.
The inhalation pattern is very ragged. The hypo is flagged because, as you can see, there is a decrease in amplitude at that time -- you are still breathing; just lesser amplitude.

Here's what I'm thinking. At that time, your leak graph shows approx 24 LPM leakage (unintended.)
When you inhale, that's a positive pull on the blower unit. Maybe those ragged, flat topped, inhalation peaks are because the machine cannot maintain pressure during inhalation with that leak rate. If so, you have to fix the leaks. I really think you need a Full Face Mask.

It could also be that you have an anatomical issue such as a deviated septum that blocks inhalation through the nose.

I know quite a few vets who go outside the VA system; in fact, they prefer Medicare over the VA.

edit: COPD -- Maybe. But my understanding is that COPD tends to show up more during exhalation.
COPD is diagnosed by using a spirometer. Basically seeing how much air you can blow into a machine.
Nope my sleep doc who is an EMY and a friend, hasnt done a spiro on me. There's another pulmo/sleep doctor here in town that im trying to make an appointment with.

I have a couple FFM's here at home and hate them with a passion. I have never been able to fall asleep with one in the past. I will dig one out and try it tonight, just to see the patterns.

Mark

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2015, 02:47 PM)justMongo Wrote: ........edit: COPD -- Maybe. But my understanding is that COPD tends to show up more during exhalation.

Exactly, but insufficient exhale leads to insufficient inhale even though the brain senses it needs more. My thought was that it could be the cause of the raggedy inhales.

Maybe it is just the raggedy old goat. From the pics we all know which old goat is in great shape! Big Grin Big Grin

sBest Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2015, 04:05 PM)PaytonA Wrote:
(12-28-2015, 02:47 PM)justMongo Wrote: ........edit: COPD -- Maybe. But my understanding is that COPD tends to show up more during exhalation.

Exactly, but insufficient exhale leads to insufficient inhale even though the brain senses it needs more. My thought was that it could be the cause of the raggedy inhales.

Maybe it is just the raggedy old goat. From the pics we all know which old goat is in great shape! Big Grin Big Grin

sBest Regards,

PaytonA
A raggedy old goat I am for sure. I have an appt with the other Pulmo/sleep dr on 1/4/16. I went to him 4 years ago so im still in their system. If I have some COPD or whatever, I should find out then.

Mark

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, and I just got back from the gym. Did the treadmill and got the old ticker up to 101 and a nice sweat and didnt keel over so that's a good sign.

Mark
Post Reply Post Reply
Mark:

The main thing is to stay cool and try not to worry.
This is probably going to come down to medication side effects and anxiety.

I know when you look back you realize all the tough times that you got through; we all had them.
You didn't get to be an MSgt by taking the easy way!
It's just harder to deal with as we get older.

If you feel like me, it seems like only yesterday I was young; and I wonder where did all the years go.

Kindest regards,

Mongo
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2015, 02:42 PM)PoolQ Wrote: They are not apneas if you are awake

Technically they are apneas, just not sleep apneas. Apnea just means to stop breathing, either intentionally or unintentionally. There is even a sport where you put your head under water and hold your breath as long as you can, and the longest breath holder wins. It is known as "Static Apnea".

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
A professional should interpret this for you. The multiple peaks in each individual inhale, especially after the hypopnea, suggests flow limitation and are series of effort increases during the inhale. The jagged top of the inhale looks like a snore, but could just be fluctuations in effort to complete the inhale. Not only that, but each exhale has two steps as well, a small one followed by the rapid main inhale.

I think this breathing pattern holds the reason why you continue to be tired, sore and have felt a lack of relief from CPAP. As I recall, you never had a proper titration study, so no one has seen your respiratory (polysomnograph) trace with CPAP, nor evaluated you for bilevel. If so, we don't know if this breathing pattern may be caused by CPAP, or if it exists in your breathing without it. Either way, you appear to struggle to inhale, and rapidly exhale to start the next breath.

You may benefit greatly from bilevel (BiPAP/VPAP) therapy that would help you breath more effectively by increasing inhale pressure, and decreasing exhale pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2015, 05:33 PM)justMongo Wrote: Mark:

The main thing is to stay cool and try not to worry.
This is probably going to come down to medication side effects and anxiety.

I know when you look back you realize all the tough times that you got through; we all had them.
You didn't get to be an MSgt by taking the easy way!
It's just harder to deal with as we get older.

If you feel like me, it seems like only yesterday I was young; and I wonder where did all the years go.

Kindest regards,

Mongo
Truer words were never spoken.

Mark

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 248 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 184 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 595 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 330 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Events worse in the morning and events in general getting worse Elizabeth79 45 1,996 02-14-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Elizabeth79
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 324 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 935 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.